Get the Baja or hold out?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kdennan, Aug 6, 2013.

1. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It always seems to happen to me; I'll buy a bike in the fall for a good deal and then they'll come out with something better in the spring.
    Should I get the Baja 990 or wait and get a new model in the spring?
    My wife thinks wait and see cause she says they will come out with a better 990. But just like the Six Days special editions of the woods bikes, the Baja is pretty kitted out for a good deal.
    ??????
  2. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't think we will see any more 990's released.
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    The Baja is a great deal, and it's gonna get even better when the 1190's hit the floor over here in the fall. For best deal, hold out.

On the other hand, if you were to buy a Baja tomorrow you could be riding it this weekend. :nod
  4. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a tuffy !
    I ran out and bought last fall with the rummerd end of production for 990 were flying .

Low and behold the Baja at the the bike show in January . :eek1

I wish I woulda waited .
    It's all good ! I would hate to see you stuck on the big girl for the off road if that is your plan !

I personally think the 990 is perfect and that Baja sure is sweet !

GOOD LUCK !!! Once your on a 990 ~ You won't care if its a '13 or a '14 !!!!!!
  5. Monkey motorsports

Monkey motorsports n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, new to the site looking for any info on the baja that would keep a guy from making his first ktm purchase. The old 01 xr650l needs replaced I put over 20,000 miles on her and its time to step up. I really like the total package that the baja has to offer. I've read about a high speed wobble with the knobby tires this concerns me because all I've ever ran on the xr was the Dunlop 606. I plan on riding the baja back and fourth to work as well as off road. Any info would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance
  6. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I jumped on a Baja NOW cuz next model year should be the 1190 and decided against that.

Also, I don't think there'll be a such thing as a 'left over '13 Baja.'

My advice?:

Shit or get off the pot dude.
  7. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a one month old Baja with 500 miles on it from an owner who was more dirt bike oriented in the end. This was a week before I left to head back overseas where I work full time. I rode it for several glorious days in the first week of July before leaving the following weekend. I too have no interest in the 1190....the 990 is for sure being discontinued this year, the 2013 Baja edition is KTM sending it out the 990 with a bang.

Life is better with a KTM in it.

John

PS - If you do go for a new Baja from the dealer, make SURE it has the fancy rear sprocket, as seen on their website. There's a thread on that somewhere and a poll.
  8. whereisgibson

whereisgibson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought that when I bought a 2011 Dakar... plus, I don't really see that the 1190 is a direct replacement for the 990 so I'd be cautious to assume it will disappear soon.
  9. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has gone bye bye in the countries that the1190 is sold in.
  10. PopQuiz

PopQuiz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the same, except I got one of the last 990Rs in BC last August...I'll take my 2012 R over the Baja, and the new 1190 (although the 1190R looks reasonable)...I am happy guy :clap
  11. Miket9876

Miket9876 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would buy the Baja NOW! They're going away after this model year. Or better yet, if you're looking for a good deal, see if there are any left over '12's around.

The Baja is nothing more than aftermarket parts on a standard 990. Usually the discount you can get on a '12 is greater than the cost of adding those parts to it later.

I recently bought a heavily discounted '12, and am very happy I did!
  12. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    It depends on what you want to do with the bike, I thought about holding out for the 1190, but I am truly off road oriented ( and the 990 is already proven) and the price difference between the 990 and 1190 is considerable enough to make the decision for me. I have a new 990 Baja in the stable. I'm very happy.
  13. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude
  14. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just curious, what did you pay?
  15. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will always be "something new" coming out later.

If you like the Baja then buy it. There won't be any new ones made after this year.
  16. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also I would never get the first model year of anything. Many 1190 owners have big issues with heat while sitting on the bike, for instance. I believe the first 990's had throttle issues.
  17. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Dad was an old farmer. His advice was pretty simple: If you're going to buy a new combine, make sure you buy the last year they make a particular model and not the first year of the new design. Essentially, new designs need to be field tested, and they will have problems for the first year or so until the engineers perfect the design.

That was true of the 950, and some issues with the engine resulted in changes. The 990s had growing pains for a bit with snatchy throttles, lack of tunes for the ECU, and clogging fuel filters. I'm sure the 1190 will have issues of its own. So, I can't buy a new 1190 because it's not unlike a new combine model.

Buy the Baja. You could wait to buy in six months, but what are you going to do with the Baja as it sits in your garage in the winter? At best, you'll save a few Benjamins by waiting. If it were me, I wouldn't waste a day. Buy the Baja.
  18. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd buy the 990. There are some good deals out there right now because dealers are awaiting the 1190. Otherwise you'll be kicking yourself later when they are all gone.
  19. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    If things work out I'll be making the purchase in a couple of weeks. I'd ben mulling it over now for a few years... Since the 990 came out, but then it was should I buy the last of the 950's?:lol3

Recently I've wondered if I should get the 690, but with hopefully five more years of my stupid freeway commute to look forward to, the big 990 gets the nod.
  20. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you wait and buy someone's used baja, I think they're gonna be real proud of them and their used price will reflect that.

In fact, as the new 990's disappear, I think the used market will go up. Kinda like the Super Enduro. They're selling for the price they were when they were new.