Czech and Slovakia

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Tom-Nor, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planing my 2013 summer trip.
    I am going from Norway to Italy and Austria. I whould like to travel from Asutria to Bratislava then to the tatra mounteins and then the Czech.
    I have been to Praug befor, so that is coverd so is the Alps. I could realy need tips for roads an places to see in Czech and Slovaki, and places to stay the night.
    I am going on a Kwac ZZR1400, i am expecting to meet som bad roads but i dont whant to go ofroad :)
  2. justin.

justin. n00b

Oddometer:
    We went there last year with no plan, mixed camping and hotels, i don't use a sat nav so can't give you any co-ordinates or any of that stuff, i'll dig my map out tonight, but for now -

Didn't bother with Prague.

Plzen is nice, we stopped in hotel rango which is just off the main square. bike parking available round the back. we stopped two nights, had dinner there both nights with a botle of wine, worked out about £135. thats for two people, with breakfast. nice, clean, friendly, and cheap!
    the brewery tour is worth doing in plzen, just to get a glass of unfiltered beer...mmm......

Sedlec ossuary in kutna hora (google it), its bizzare, if you're near - you have to go.

Trencin in Slovakia is lovely,we were sat 'people watching' in the square having a beer, and i don't think i saw more than 6 men, whereas there were stunning women everywhere. we stopped at the campsite on the island near the football stadium, a wooden bungalow was 18euro(4 beds). its a bit like going back in time, but thats what makes travelling interesting. graet view from the top of the castle.

We found a campsite that wasn't on the map(half the roads we went down were not on the map), i'll look exactly where it was when i've got the map in front of me(i highlight everything interesting). absolutely stunning setting, cheap bar, £6 per night for 2 people.

We went there on my Bonneville, two up with full luggage, so you shouldn't have any problems.
  3. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot:D
    I have been in praug before and we used 1.5 hour to move just a few km.
    i have been looking at the church of bones, quiet bizzar yes and il try to go ther.
    And that women are over represented is not a bad thing at all:evil

much apriciated, thanks again.
  4. justin.

justin. n00b

Oddometer:
    ok, i have the map in front of me.

the campsite i mentioned is just north of Kramolin, about 20km east/southeast of Trebic.

the border crossing directly north of Vienna, place called Hate. there is a big duty free complex/theme park, there is an airliner thats now a cafe......we parked under the wing just because we could. again, its a bit bizzare.
    (lots of brothels/lap dancing bars along this road aswell).

just west of Znojmo is a big cycling area(lots of cyclists in Czech), loads of pensions/hotels, and some vineyards.

on my map I have highlighted the road between Jemnice heading west to Stare Mesto pod Landstejnem, and from Cimer west to Lasenice.

we stopped in Ceske Budejovice for lunch, nice big square in the city centre, less than £10 for 2 pizzas and 2 cokes.....

i have also highlighted the road from Vimperk heading north west to Susice, and from Uherske Hradiste south east to Stary Hrozenkov.

i got a rear puncture in Slovakia somewhere, and managed to sort it out with my basic german, people are very friendly and helpfull.

hope this helps.
    justin
  5. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    It helps a lot:clap im going solo this time for my first time, so i have freedom(and bordom).
    thanks very much.
  6. Panda*

Panda* Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. yorkie08

yorkie08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom,
    I have a couple of routes that a forum member sent me for my tour last year, if you pm me your email i will be happy to forward them on to you,

Dave
  8. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot.
    Any kind of advices, smal or big is welcome.
  9. CRAZY_BG

CRAZY_BG Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. Good pictures:D
  11. Feeding Father

Feeding Father From RU with love...

Oddometer:
    If you are have an interest's in castles, I will recommend you do not miss the castle in Bojnice (Slovakia) - we have been impressed a lot. Close to the castle located thermal pools, so you can see a sightings and warm your body in hot water under the sky.

[​IMG]

I wrote small report in Russian about our trip in 2010, you can see some photos about Slovakia at least. If you will like I will let you know how to get it.

This year we are going to ride there again.
  12. jesperd

jesperd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As previously said by Panda, Adrspach is a nice place. Great place for a nice walk with interesting rock formations.

We stayed at Pension Adrspach. The bikes parked safely, and the staff friendly (although not too flexible). We went to the restaurant 5 minutes past 8. Since it closed at 8, the owner still there, we hoped to get some food anyhow, but no, they had closed the kitchen. We would have been happy with just a slice of bread, but it wasn't possible. The hotel next door had its kitchen open until 10pm, and the bar open until the early morning, so we ate and drank there. Locals were there too, so it was nice and cozy. I regret we hadn't checked in there.
  13. CRAZY_BG

CRAZY_BG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks .This is my 10 day trip in Hungari Ceshoslovakia link in a
    Bulgarian motorbike forum .

Translate in to googletranslator

http://www.motoforum.bg/index.php/topic,49689.0.html

I'll answer all your questions for a Castle and forest in checsko

and waiting your RR
  14. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    Thanks every one for tips.
    I have a real problem now, and i dont know what to do.
    I have goten a offer to join two close friends for a road trip in California and Nevada for 21days.
    I have just bought an appartment thats gona be finished i next summer and i cant afford to take two three weeks trip.
    I am realy strugeling to make up my mind. The Stelvio and Dolomites is somthing i real want to do, but if i take that trip im going solo for two three weeks and that can get alitel boring in the evnings.
    The California trip will be in a car!!! I could rent me a Harley but it will not be the same as the Alp.
    sigh.....
  15. CRAZY_BG

CRAZY_BG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Possible Now things may be impossible tomorrow, but do not worry, the opposite is also possible .

There are so many interesting things everywhere. As a family and home, I was unable to go four years.:eek1

I have a friend who, 10 years was a musician in Norway and Finland. 2 years ago inspired me for a tour of Norway, Sweden Finland, but it was almost impossible for me expensive.
  16. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom,

I am from Czech Rep. and if you are interested I can do for you some trip/map with things to see... in Czech Rep.
    No worries - we are not Africa, so the roads for your ZZR will be fine - however not like Germany...

How many days you have in Czech?

p.s. I have been already in Norway and it was awesome! :-)

Rade
  17. Tom-Nor

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone that responded. Last year i did the road trip California,Nevada and Arizona. Hade a great time,but now my mind is back on Czech and Slovakia.
    I am wondering what the best roads in the High Tatras and around is?
    Was hoping someone could mark all the tarmac roads that around there one google map.

And every big and small tips to Czech and Slovakia are very much welcome.
  18. GvG

GvG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in the High Tatras this past summer. It's a very small area and there is only one loop to make and it's all tarmac. There are some dead end roads, but I haven't been on those.

I stayed at a campsite in Tatranska Strba, that was geared towards hikers (it's a prime hiking destination for the Slovakians themselves). That meant they had a small kitchen, with fridge and some picknicktables with roofs.
    There are far fewer campsites in Slovakia than I'm used to in Western Europe.

Spissky hrad is a UNESCO castle in the area (you can park almost next to it, so don't use the parking in Spisske Podhradie itself), or visit the Dobsinska Ice Cave (also on the UNESCO list). (The road from Poprad to Dobsina is also nice.) Sadly the tours were only in Slovakian. It would be quit a hike to get there in your gear though.

If you buy a Slovensko 1:300.000 map locally (€6,90, although mine is blue and says Euroclub and not Freytag & Berndt)), you can easily see the nice routes. And there aren't that many to choose from anyway
  19. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the roads in the Tatras be free of snow in mid May, campsites be open etc etc?

Many thanks
  20. Tom-Nor

Oddometer: