The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Some artist took the first picture, changed the helmet and did some other stuff to it but it's based on the
    "spy pictures"
  2. REVjimenez

REVjimenez ESSCAPEr

Oddometer:
    actually, the bike is in the exact same angle/direction, and besides changing the background in Photoshop, they put two different sized riders on it with different body positions...clever, but cheese...
  3. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    The wheels are in the same position. :lol3
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    IDK about y'all but once my RT got to about 24k miles, I didn't have to touch my valves despite checking em every 6k. Traded that bike in with 50k miles on it.

The GS-Adv went the same way. First few it was important to check and adjust. After about 24k again, I kept checking, but they weren't moving.

M
  5. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Two features I could see being very persuasive on a new Boxer (whichever way it's cooled) are variable cam timing and traction control.

Cam timing could be a huge benefit for those looking for enhanced torque in lower ranges without sacrificing upper end (like Lennie's sprockets). Though the sprockets are a great mod, they're mechanical and don't adapt during use.

Traction control could be useful so we keep the big lug upright when things get slippery. Yeah, I guess I'm a little old school but having ABS save my bacon a few times I could see a (hopefully) version which doesn't burden the bike with excess weight or complexity.
  6. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  7. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boots and gloves are the same...
  8. woodsman149

woodsman149 not n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow.. it's a "Spot The Similarity" contest - how exciting!!! :clap
  9. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    :clap

Where is DasMatti, by now he must have checked it out, right?
    We need more pictures and more news, iPad 3 style, each week we get a little bit of something.
    How many pixels and dots/inch does the new TFT cockpit display come with? :-)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Bain Dramage

Bain Dramage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When can we start talking about it's gas mileage and how it handles?
  11. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi Brain Damage, mileage sucks vs a push bike, and handling sucks too vs a car. But these things are fun.. 'mh what where you on about?
  12. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Brain Drainage was insinuating higher output means also higher input? Not sure because the higher
    output would only be relevant at higher rpm so I can see it using less hydrocarbons than the hex and camhead
    utilizing a more modern Bosch injection and engine management system :-)
  13. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    1610 posts.
    This thing has yet to be made and it's already saved alot of fuel. :lol3
  14. SwedishViking

SwedishViking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your thinking is making a lot of sense to me. Enjoyed reading it.

15. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by rforrester
    "...
    half of the posts in ADV are all about how to bypass the canbus or modifying the electronics. Lights, monitoring, GPS, comm systems, electric clothing, blah blah blah...I hope the new GS has plenty of that stuff built in."

We've been asking about the hydronic port and what type of QD's will be required . This has not been revealed as of yet.
  16. monkeydad

monkeydad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be weird because I like the boxer engine layout, and it was one of several things that led me to BMW.

Super low CG and wonderful power impulses. Of course, engine timing can do wonders with power pulses and contribute to hooking up in low traction, but, I still like the boxer.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned....
  17. RedLeg

RedLeg Itchy and Burning

Oddometer:
    I didn't read all 100 plus pages because I got distracted by something shiny......so that being said, especially to the nay sayers of water cooling and the comments like rich guys will upgrade to the newer one and then the next newer one..blah..blah..blah. Here, I've got a 1972 Porsche 911 S parked in my garage. I love her, she's simple, she worth almost a hundred thousand, because she's a true S and yes, when Porsche went to the water cooled 911, I almost became an occupier. I now drive a new 911 S and let me tell you..ain't to fucking way in hell you are going to find me in that 1972 911 S on a 115 degree Northern California day..no way..no how. I've had four GS's now, with the latest being a 2011 GSA, and guess what?? When the new water cooled one comes out, I'll buy it and I'll park it next to my 2011 and giggle to myself..and then I'll sell them both and go back to Ducati for a few years and then do it all again.
  18. RedLeg

RedLeg Itchy and Burning

Oddometer:
    That was a vomiting of thoughts by the way....not sure what it added to the conversation..but hey no one makes any sense anymore so I'm joining them..:norton
  19. RedLeg

RedLeg Itchy and Burning

Oddometer:
    I'd get fat and grow a beard...but I can't..not the getting fat part but the facial hair part...just can't grow any...I've derailed my own thought process...I'm banning myself as of right now..
  20. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    RedLeg self-extrication from unilateral first person banning sub-forum NOW!