Tents: Hi dollar vs budget

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Moto-Dude, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    There's a happy place between $650 tents and sub $200 tents :deal
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Though I've never seen one in person, and I discovered "Adventure Riding" by reading 10 years on 2 wheels (Helge's tent of choice was the Awahnee), I have no idea how they justify the $650 price of the Awahnee. You can buy quite a lot of high end 2 wall tent that is lighter, stronger and roomier for a little more than half of that price. I really need to see one in person, maybe there's an "aha".
  3. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    I have a Eureka Sunrise that I bought in the late 90s...its pre-taped and sealed. I've never done anything except twice I applied 303 protectant to the seams. (I recommend 303 highly)
    http://303products.com/index.php/fabric-guard/303r-fabric-guard-16oz.html
    This tent has seen some serious weather and use, and is just now needing new zippers. Never any leaks.

Also, I almost never use a ground cloth. All it does is trap water in your tent floor. Unless you are on a nasty surface that could damage the tent floor, dont use one! If you do, the material should allow water to pass thru it easily.
  4. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

Noted on the 303, I will pick some up this week as my kelty noah tarp is big time leaking. Never was water proof, just water resistant,
  5. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Unless I missed it, havent seen any discussion about the inflatable pole (air beam) type tents, that need no poles. I would thinnk that a change in temperature means a change in pressure and your tent could implode in cold night air!

Nemo and Vango are two manufacturers I find.
    Any feedback on these types of tents?
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I gave a lot of thought to a Nemo but the air beams aren't light and even though setup is pretty quick the deflation isn't as fast.

The vestibules in the air beam tents are really small also.

Friday the mail man brought my new Big Agnes Wyoming Trail SL2 and Friday night I set it up and of course had to sleep in it :D

So far I'm really liking it :raabia

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/wyomingtrailsl2

I hate paying full price and they had a special that couldn't resist

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/wyomingtrailsl2Sample

I've spent years on a quest for of lighter and smaller and and smaller and lighter and this year I was searching for a perfect sub 3 pound tent . Finally had an epiphany and just decided to go for comfort and F**k the 4 pounds difference in weight plus I'm too old for crawIing in and out of those little things :lol3
  7. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    2 :D

Really 3 I guess you can call it ..... the top centre of the tent has a hub that is all connected together and the arms go to the 4 corners and then a shorter pole that crosses the two main ones just above the sleeping area

Foolproof ... I did it the first time without instructions and had no troubles what so ever, very intuitive

The tent itself clips onto the poles easily with two different types of clips.
  9. VerticalTwin

VerticalTwin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I use a TARN 3 tent from MEC. Used it for 2 years now and no leaks or issues. I think its disco'd but I am happy with this tent for MC trips and hiking/canoeing.
    Tom
    vt
  10. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had four tents.

A $20 generic one man pup tent that lasted one weekend hiking trip.Corner seems busted out.

A $25 Ozark Trail three man dome tent with full rain fly.Lasted 10 years until it was stolen.About 20 weekenders with no issues at all.Never had any leaks in some fairly rough rain.It was in some wind but nothing really bad,maybe 20-25mph.

A $40 Coleman three man dome tent with half rain fly.Never had an issue in 10 years,It's been on 15 weekenders and never leaked.It's seen some winds approaching 30mph.Still have it and plan to use it in the future.

A $300 NWT two man tent.Kind of like a dome tent but more oblong.I bought it new.The seam between the bottom and the side came apart in the middle of the night, while I was sleeping.There was no rain but winds were gusty and varied in direction.Called the retailer and NWT,neither would make it right,so I scraped it and moved on.I should have just resewn the dam thing and let the kids use it in the yard.

All of these tents were considered 3 seasons.I don't camp in the late fall or winter.It still gets close to freezing in the high mountains here,even in the summer.
  11. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:

I'm glad you said that!

Never thought I'd see such snobbishness surrounding something like a tent!:eek1

Good gear can be had at reasonable prices (use your head/shop around) and bad gear can be had at unreasonably high prices.
  12. Fayborg

Fayborg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those that have or have considered the Hilleberg tents. Any recommendations who sells them and their level of customer service. I have looked at their web site but not familiar with the vendors. So was hoping some inmates could recommend some vendors here in the USA based on experience. Any offer deals on them? Thanks
  13. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

A friend bought one, he lives in AZ but bought it from some company in San Antonio. I can say he loves it, and he said Hilliberg has strict rules about discounting the product. All he got them to do was give him free shipping.

They are a hell of a tent.
  14. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

I think it becomes an ego thing with some folks. The gear becomes the end instead of a means to an end. There are people who really should buy the very best they can get, they know who they are.
  15. Fayborg

Fayborg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Perterra for quick response. Going to Colorado in September on a mc trip. Going to stop at Bent Gate Mountaineering. They are near Denver. Anyone have any experience with them?

Free shipping will probably be the only savings. But like to deal with stores that have good customer service.

I have an old REI two person LR2 goretex tent bought in 82. Served me well but want more room
  16. tuckerman

tuckerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been in there for some binding work and they hooked me up. They're in Golden and I wouldn't hesitate to visit them again.

My father has also been through a bunch of tents camping all over the world. He's now in a Hilliberg exclusively. That's gotta say something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Ixxioixxl

Ixxioixxl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent and like it. I haven't used it camping yet(leaving Thursday) but I set it up in the yard to test it out and it setup easy. Then I took my water hose and gas yard blower after it for a while and it didn't leak at all. Nothing came unattached or ripped in the artificially created wind either. The rain fly is adjustable in reference to how close to the ground so I could control ventilation vs the incoming sideways rain. My two tents before this both leaked(Field & Stream Lodge from Dick's leaked in 6 places new) so I was very cautious about relying on vendor review comments alone this time around.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but REI has a lifetime guarantee and some really helpful tent hippies.
  18. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is true -- it is also true of audio systems, Nikon Cameras, most motorcycles over 500cc, any vehicle coming from Germany, and a suit of clothes that costs more than 100 cash dollars american . . . . . .

If any of these things float your boat, and you can afford 'em, huzzah!
  19. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Tents are much like suitcases, in that if you travel everyday a cheap suitcase won't last, once a year vacation it will. Seasoned travelers often will spend the extra money for a Filson or Halliburton. I for one don't sleep in a tent that much, but keep stuff a long time and expect it to preform at a high level when I do. Most of the things we buy are either throwaway crap or too high priced. Almost all of our camping is done under ideal conditions, it's only when you really have to lean on your equipment that you appreciate it. Last year I bought a Hilleberg Kaitum 3 gt, although I got a good deal on, it was still a ridiculously expensive. I have used it a couple times and found it to be a Great tent. No bad weather yet. I also use a hammock from time to time. Trouble with the hammock is finding places to hang it. It's not hard to hang, just limits you to where. My father always told me to buy the best you could afford and you will be less likely disappointed.
  20. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Practicality rules, but what's practical is as subjective as anything else, eh? I almost went the way of Dan - a Big Agnes Wyoming Trail SL with all it's fine features. I mean damn that's a nice arrangement.

BUT

I wouldn't trade-off the quick setup, quick pack n' go and more manageable weight afforded by a Copper Spur UL2.

And it fits in a pannier.

Amen.