MotoGP Austin, April 19-21, 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pacman1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    So does Kevin have to buy a General Admission ticket to see his race, or what?
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a dumbass. Someone help me. I can't find a good set of directions to the track. Maybe the track is too new, or the roads weren't named yet whenj my mapping software was updated. I'll be coming from Houston on I-10. Then (I guess) Hwy 71 through Bastrop. Then what?

Thanks,
  3. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9201 Circuit of the Americas Boulevard, Austin, TX

Jam that into google maps
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    That did it. Thanks. I was getting a location in downtown Austin for some reason.
  5. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you got parking, you should have gotten some traffic flow instructions with them. Mine told me which road to come in on to get to the parking lot I had tickets for.
  6. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
    Anybody know if the track has a FM/AM transmitter for race commentary?
  7. Burro X

Burro X no static at all

Oddometer:
    Take 71 thru Bastrop, Exit 21 South then turn right on 812 - takes you straight to the track, there wasn't any traffic that direction for F1 all three days....
  8. flyingobject

flyingobject n00b

Oddometer:
    I am driving a group of friends to the track for MotoGP. Ticketmaster says that 3-day car parking is sold out. Here's an alternative: Chris Taylor campground across from the track. 50 bucks for 3 day pass, Paypal so no TM fees. Free coffee/snacks in the A.M. http://christaylorracing.com/cota-services/cota-parking/

read the whole page. COTA says no pedestrians, apparently they don't enforce this. CT says will run a shuttle if needed.
  9. gladiator400

gladiator400 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just let 2 rooms go at Lockhart Inn that someone might be able to get if needed as we decided last minute to join a friend camping at Bastrop state park.
  10. slaterbj

slaterbj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know that too!
  11. skeelo221

Oddometer:
    Oh simple just pay the $25 for the MotoGP smartphone app!

:sarcasm:
  12. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Circuit of The Americas™ announces security measures for Red Bull MotoGP of The Americas

Security checkpoints, list of prohibited items standard protocol for all major Circuit events

AUSTIN, Texas (April 16, 2013) – Circuit of The Americas today announced security measures that will be in place for the inaugural Red Bull MotoGP of The Americas April 19-21.

Guests attending practice, qualifying and live race sessions at the purpose-built Grand Prix facility in Austin, Texas, will be required to go through security checkpoints prior to entering the venue. All guests and their items are subject to search by security personnel. These measures are in place for all major sports and entertainment events held at the Circuit and were utilized last November during the FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX.

“Circuit of The Americas hosts large-scale sports and entertainment events throughout the year, and as a matter of practice, we restrict the types of items that can be brought into the venue by patrons and others working at the track,” Circuit Vice President of Public & Media Relations Julie Loignon said. “We work closely with public safety and emergency services personnel at the City, County, State and Federal level to monitor activities in and around the facility. We have been in touch with local law enforcement following yesterday’s unfortunate events in Boston, Mass., and will work with them throughout the upcoming weekend to ensure we conduct a safe and secure event.”

The following items WILL NOT be allowed in to Circuit of The Americas for this weekend’s MotoGP event:

• Alcoholic Beverages
    • Animals (exception for certified service animals)
    • Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
    • Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of transportation
    • Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
    • Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
    • Food and Beverage (NOTE: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed)
    • Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
    • Glass or metal containers of any style
    • Illegal substances
    • Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees, balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
    • Large, golf-type umbrellas
    • Non-collapsible chairs
    • Tents or canopies
    • Video cameras, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed
    • Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items
    The following items will be permitted inside the Circuit:

• Blankets
    • Umbrellas (small, hand-held style)
    • Baby strollers
    • Portable, collapsible chairs
    • Personal camera equipment (e.g. digital cameras, point-and-click digital cameras or film cameras)
    • Binoculars
    NOTE: All bags, purses, backpacks and persons are subject to screening by security personnel. Fans entering Circuit of The Americas should prepare accordingly. The list of banned and approved items can be found online at http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items.

Ticketholders should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when such items are left at the race entrances. Patrons are encouraged to leave all banned items at home or in their vehicles. Individuals who deliberately attempt to bring banned items through security checkpoints are subject to removal from the facility.
  13. skeelo221

Oddometer:
    I'm still bringing a backpack of beer those carnies will have to find it!
  14. slaterbj

slaterbj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that since I am working there this weekend I'll be all set!
  15. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    They can pry my tofu from my cold dead hands.
  16. trent

trent rambler

Oddometer:
    i'm going to have cold beer in my hard boxes. see how that works on friday.

[​IMG]
  17. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about a show of hands for those wearing Free Kevin #34 shirts ?
    I have mine and bought one for my buddy I'm traveling with.
    Got to let the establishment know.
  18. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    I'll be attending with a group of five, all wearing Free Kevin shirts. :clap
  19. Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke Official Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Once again, I apologize for being a slacker on this excellent board. Just got done reading this thread and can't agree more with most of the comments. I will be a corner marshal at COTA but only reluctantly: had I not signed up before the Kevin fiasco, I would have never, ever offered my services to this track. Oh, for the record, while i was not able to find any of the Free Kevin shirts in time, I'm taking all of my #34 shirts with me to wear under my Smurf suit and for sure will have one on the last day when we turn in our Smurf outfits. I am also planning on writing the track a nice letter why I will never volunteer for them again.

I chatted with a number of my friends that worked at both F1 and Rolex GrandAm and none of them will ever go back in this lifetime. Very sad situation that the track is trying to do everything "their way" and not take advantage of the numerous groups that know how to put on a race.

Preliminary reports include: lousy traffic management in and out of the facility, about on par with the recent trafiic clusterfucks at Laguna Seca, long lines and interminable waits for the civilians at the food booths, terrible motorcycle parking (BRING YOUR HOCKEY PUCKS FOR THE SIDE STANDS!), and numerous internal weirdnesses for the track workers that I won't list here and now.

I will have a report of the view from my corner after I get home. If anyone wants to reach me, my cell phone is still 517.927.8023 and I'm still Ken Browde.

Oh, one more thing: USAC is not working this event and as of this moment, I have no idea what group is doing Race Control. I know its not my group for sure, and I'm pretty sure its not the local SCCA group and frankly, I am concerned that Race Control may not be the well-oiled machine we have come to expect at other venues.

Should be an interesting weekend.

I'll be staying at the Wyndam Hotel so if any other ADV folks working this event are staying there as well, I'll see ya later today (Wednesday) or at the Worker's Meeting Thursday. Look for the cigar and the Indy hat.

All my best,

UD (ken browde)
  20. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could probably pay for you ticket if you sold a few in the parking lot! :lol3
    I wonder what they charge inside for a beer?

I'm staying across the street from COTA at chris talyor racing campground. He said he has plenty of room and will have Texas sized bonfire too boot.

Since I'm so close I will probably have my motorcycle lot parking pass's up for sale, decided to drive rather than ride since the Thursday weather looks bad, makes camping easier and it's 500 miles on the superslab anyway.