DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    may I tell you, that next year's gathering will take place some miles west of Cologne in a hilly region that's called 'Eifel'? This will save Telmo some 400 miles compared to this years event. In our German forum we 'installed' lots of regional round-tables. Usually, our annual 'parties' are organized by one of these. And next year's meeting, it's the turn of the one I'm a member of. Be assured, I'll keep you informed! I'm some kind of our international ambassador!
    Especially to Bluesman: next year's meeting is rather short of your doorstep! You're very welcome, even on a Tiger! We'd like to meet you again, mate!
    This goes to our Eastern Europe fellows this year: Berlin's rather close to you, come to see us! We'd like to see you!!! If there's any dificulty concerning the invitation: PM me!!!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  2. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will save these some 400 miles for Mr. Popples, too! Sorry mate, first had to look where you're coming from.
    A nice German guy I do know from my Koblenz time, runs a mostly motorcyclists' pension somewhere in the Languedoc-Roussillon. His place is called 'Le Moulin', he's nicknamed 'Plato', a rather tall guy, looking like a viking. I should try to visit him, his place looks amazing! Might help with my 'school-French', too, that fell asleep some 40 years ago. Although it's still there as I learned by translating a French newspaper-issue concerning the very first Dakar-appearance of our DR Big.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  3. stefan rb

stefan rb Been here awhile

Oddometer:

we sell now all oversize piston you want
    105mm - stock /oem PART
    105.5mm - first oversize / oem PART
    106mm HRT developed / made by Carillo Piston
    106,5mm HRT developed / made by Carillo Piston
    107mm HRT developed / made by Carillo Piston
    107,5mm HRT developed / made by Carillo Piston
    108mm HRT developed / made by Carillo Piston
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea! This year I was hit by financial troubles (my father and mother in law had to undergo medical tratment that I had to finance) so anything in "cheap to rich" distance is best for me. BTW - I spent last 3 days in Eifel riding with friends. Was perfect....except yesterday 1 moment. En route we encountered group of Belgian and Dutch riders on mix of bikes - from GS to Minster. They behaved as total as...les. They created a mess overtaking whole group of cars and bikes overshooting all imaginable speed limits in towns, did it on single lane road, crossing villages, in fully blind corners blocking road for like 5 minutes, then when they hit twisty road - slowed down (lack of skills) not letting people who knows how to ride through. And to top it off - their last rider (right in front of us) - skipped death by only just escaping oncoming car in single-lane blind corner by ma be 10 cm. I apologize for it on behalf of Belgium. We not all like that.
  5. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lost approximately 4-4.5 liters of each tank volume due to the airbox cavities in the tanks. It is hard to tell by the photos but there is still passage for the fuel to go down from the filling hole :D

I have already made a model of the underseat tank in cardboard and hopefully there will be one made of aluminium soon.

The job was not straight forward nor easy. The frame had to be cut and made wider at the place where the red U-shaped hoses are, the tanks and seat needed different mountings etc.

Sorry Ray, the previous airbox is not for sale, I will keep it. But it is not difficult at all to make one. Some aluminium sheet and pop-rivets and 96-100mm od aluminium tube is all you need. Plus some creativity :D
    And don't forget to ask the permission from Stefan to copy his design. I did and he was kind enough.

6. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mait this is truly great work you are doing here , you have great skills and imagination to see this through, with the running rich part of it , it just could be air turbulence / vortex if that is the right word in front of the filter and a small plate of aluminium may cause a low stable preasure area and make things a bit better , however I think you you will over come the problem buy trial and test. thumbs up from me [​IMG]
  7. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Mait.....

One photo of this project is just not enough. It's more teasing than a movie trailer.

Not asking for step-by-step....but I would sure like to see exactly what you've done here.

Joking a bit about your old airbox. Actually a friend of mine has amazing skills with aluminium. He's built an entire car from nothing but tubing, Corvette suspension corners and a huge 6 cylinder GMC engine.

He hand formed the entire body from aluminium sheet. Since he's 3 hours away from me I've only been able to help a week or so out of every month but have learned a lot about metal craft from him.

Quick photo

[​IMG]

Anyway....the plan is for us to fabricate a new airbox for the 750 and re-locate the battery and other electrical components.
  8. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Ladder, hello there,
    if you're doing so: how about a removable front of the airbox? Let's say a bit in- and then upwards? This would enable you to get out the carbs much easier ... just thinking.
    An amazing car, btw!!! :clap
    Kind regards, Bambi
  9. stefan rb

Oddometer:
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhh
    i know - you are complete crazy ;-)

really good job!
    the same solution suzuki use on the zeta factory bikes for the dakar.

in case you dont want to change the mainframe tubes, so use a oval tube (dimensions like the Y -rubber snorkel between airbox and carbs)
    this tube fit between the frame tubes
    and i forgot....
    our kevlar fuel tank set is ready for a airbox like this : Evil: Evil: Evil: Evil
  10. stefan rb

Oddometer:
    and.. put the small lithium battery (like our version in the big shop) between airbox and steering / over the frame
    it fit ;-)
  11. shanekfalcon

shanekfalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone install rim locks? Yes, no, back only or both? Why?

Something else that I am thinking about, but reading different ideas on these things.

Thanks,

Shane
  12. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    I only use them on my DRZ400 since I ride more technical off-road on that bike and drop air pressures to 10-14 psi in sandy or muddy rides.

I very very rarely drop tire pressure on the Big so don't bother with rim locks.

They do make balancing the wheel a lot more difficult using much more weight.
  13. stefan rb

Oddometer:
    i do ..have look :-) (on a Cross Contry Race yesterday...the motocross riders are looking not bad..

[​IMG]
  14. stefan rb

Oddometer:
    one more ...
    [​IMG]
    Kovac77 likes this.
  15. stefan rb

Oddometer:
    at last...

[​IMG]
  16. Radeki

Radeki Lazy Man

Oddometer:
    big forever, go big go :ricky .... great photos Stefan
  17. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice :)
  18. shanekfalcon

shanekfalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

On Saturday I installed new RK520 X-Ring chain and JT sprockets. Same size. Went for a ride on Sunday and the bike feels like an extra horsepower or two has been released. Does that sound right to you or am I suffering from an overactive imagination?
  19. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    a 'well-worn' chain-kit can easily cost you more than just 1 or 2 horses in reality. So I'm pretty sure, you're not fooled by your imagination.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  20. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    G'day Shane,
    a rimlock saved my arse last year. i was travelling to the TTT rally when i pinched the rear tube at 130kph on a dirt road. she took some pulling up on the downhill left hand sweeper.:eek1 mind you, i was nailing potholes full of water fully loaded so it should have been expected really.:lol3