Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks.
  2. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got an R20 with bladder (didn't see this earlier) and now looking to get a Kube and US5 to allow me more mounting options. Like to get these ordered next week so let me know.
  3. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    PM sent, chief! :freaky
  4. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  5. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    beautiful pic....:clap
  6. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Totaly agree with NSFW to the extent that you're now [yet again] the cover star on the Kriega USA Facebook page.

Keep up the good work, mate! :clap
  7. pvt joker

pvt joker Latebird

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to order an R20 but want to know if its possible to use an older bladder that I already have until I can free the cash for a new reservoir.
  8. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I am using a 3L Camelback bladder with my R20, so I am sure you can use an older Kriega bladder. Check the length, and make sure it isnt too long.
  9. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

While our Hydrapak is the best product of its kind and integrates perfectly - like Inmate Deckyon correctly stated - you can use pretty much any other system as long as the reservoir is no wider than the internal compression sleeve (11") and no taller than the pack itself (18").

The only thing you would need to check is that the tube is long enough to reach your mouth. Just for reference, our big bore Hydrapak tubes (which connect approx 1" from the base of the reservoir) measure 36" in length from dry-break connection to surge [bite] valve connection. The surge valve itself adds another 1.5".

Hope that helps and thank for choosing Kriega!

All the best,

Michael
  10. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I received my Kreiga gear yesterday - R25, US5, hydra pack, tool roll. I have had other Kriega gear before - a US 10, US 20, and an R15. I like all the Kriega stuff I've had so far.

HOWEVER...I wanted to say how *impressed* I was with the R25. This thing is absolutely BOMBER. The attention to detail, materials, and construction of the pack is unreal. It seems like another notch above all my other Kriega stuff. I have a bit of a backpack fetish and have packs from many high-end manufacturers (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Arcteryx, etc.), and this is, at the very least, the equal of those.

Excited to use it racing this weekend!

dc
  11. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :clap

Thanks so much for the feedback. I know Dom (one of the two Kriega owners who personally designs all the gear) is a big admirer of Arc'teryx, so I'm sure he'll be well chuffed that 'little old' Kriega is held in the same high regard by you.

Thanks again and enjoy you rides with your new R25!

Cheers,

Michael
  12. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And another update, this time from a week-long ride in Baja. The R15 worked very well and perhaps especially since I had a down vest squished up inside, it was pretty comfy during my slow-speed crashes in the sand :muutt.

The only issue I had was one day, when I put an entire 100oz of water in the bladder, I had neck issues for the day until I had drunk a lot of the water. I think if I had a stronger neck and shoulder muscles, I would've been fine but that's certainly not the fault of the R15! I'll carry extra water on the bike now instead of on me. And get some weight training going. :nod

cheers
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

Thank you too for the feedback. Although I am somewhat perturbed by the neck strain. None of our packs place any real stress on that area and the weight of a full reservoir is peanuts compared to how much an R15 can handle.

You might want to try out a few different settings on the pack and bear in mind that the harness doesn't need to be super tight - just snug. If you're still having issues after that, it's (honestly!) more than likely your neck brace or just general off-road / falling off aches and pains.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Michael
  14. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries. I've had bad falls off of jumping/bucking/disaffected horses that still affect my neck and back and are likely to act up again even after minor issues.

Before and after that particular day, I had no issues whatsoever even with a long 200-mile day.

The real fix is me working out again for stronger muscles ! :gdog
  15. ilbiker

ilbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the R20 and just got my US5 in to fit it to it. Question I have is, I want to be able to remove it quickly if need be and the mounting to the R20 looks like it goes through the loops and back upon itself. Is there an idea or solution that Kriega has for mounting it so it can be removed easily without the entire setup being pulled through everything but remain sturdy? Thanks for the great service also.
  16. Badabing70

Badabing70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michael any idea when are the K Stash back in stock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    I'm currently shopping for a moto backpack. I'm considering the Kriega amidst some others.

My only hesitation on this bag is I ride in a lot of rain so all my gear is waterproof. Soft bags, tank bag etc. The Kriega R25 doesn't make any claims that I can find about waterproof, just resistant. I don't want my electronics to live in a bag that will get wet. So I'd like to hear from the folks who know it best. I want fast access to these items so double bagging is not an option.

How much time in the rain can I expect the R25 keep my stuff dry? My wolfman bags have kept my gear dry for entire days in flat downpours. The other packs I'm considering are roll tops and are made from trucker tarp ala Giantloop. I like the modular approach of the Kriega system but I want a high level of weather proofing. I do not want to have to add an R5 or R10 to store items that need to stay dry.

I know that's a tall order an I appreciate your honesty.

EDIT: I see the R30 is listed as 100% waterproof. I know nothing is but that is the claim I'm looking for. Is the R25?
  18. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    No.
  19. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll take a look at the R30.
  20. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    If being waterproof is your main criteria... R30 is your bag.

I used the Overlander30 and US10 bags (same basic construction as the R30) for a trip to CO and it rained for 4-5 days straight... my stuff stayed dry.