KTM LC8 Air Filter Kits by SW7

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sporting Wood, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    SportingWood's KTM 950 Air Filter Kit

[​IMG]

SportingWood's SW7 intake system makes more power for your LC8. There is absolutely no other modification that costs so little while rewarding so much. Improvement doesn't stop at horsepower gains, better throttle response and a flatter, quicker torque curve either. Eliminating the KTM's bulky and restrictive airbox makes carburetor/ throttle body access easy and valve service a snap. More airflow under the tank makes for a cooler running engine too. ITG's Megaflow dual layer foam racing filter more than triples filtration area and provides the added security only oiled foam can provide in dusty adventure biking conditions. Plus its infinitely reusable. ITG manufacturers our Megaflow filters especially with a special dusty environment foam not available elsewhere. There is no better filter for your bike, guaranteed!

Features
    * Precision Laser Cut Anodized Alloy Adapter Plate won't crack, leak, warp or deform like nearly identical systems costing nearly twice as much.

* No other kit seals as well nor provides an OEM style connection as these. Rather than simply sitting on top of an O or X ring, this adapter has its attachment integrated into the flange by way of custom molded Buna-N rubber grommets. This Seals all three mounting surfaces, prevents any metal on metal contact and effectively isolates vibration.

* High Quality Especially Manufactured Dual Density Dusty Condition ITG Foam Air Filter allows for far better power, easier carburetor access, far easier servicing and is easily cleaned and reused over and over again.

*Dzus quarter turn fasteners and clips that make access a simple matter of two quick turns without the need for tools.

Additional information and important things to know about this mod.
    Do not use alcohol based oil or cleaners on the filter. The alcohol breaks down the filter's adhesive bond. The importer says that some alcohol based filter oils and cleaners such as Notoil, K&N, etc..., have had detrimental effects on the filters. For this reason I recommend to use a good alcohol free oil and clean with soap and water alone.

Kits also include the adapter plate, grommets, ITG filter, Dzus fasteners, clips, crankcase vent hose extension, and all hardware necessary to install. The standard OFF-ROAD USE ONLY Kit does not include any accommodation to adapt crankcase ventilation inside the ITG filter. I can drill the plate by special request for those wishing to install the crankcase vent inside the airbox. A vent tube extension that re-routes the crankcase breather to a place over the countershaft sprocket is included. This puts the warm water vapor and oil mist somewhere it doesn't cost performance and may actually serve to lube the chain! Alternatively, many customers choose to attach a generic 5/8" breather to the end of the factory hose.

A free flowing exhaust and re-jetting (950) is an absolute requirement for safe use of this product. I sell and fully support users who opt for the Factory Pro Jet Kit for the 950's.

[​IMG]
    SportingWood ITG JC30-65 package including plate, filter, grommets, crankcase breather tube, Dzus clips and all necessary fasteners. Does NOT FIT SUPER ENDURO (990 version displayed above)
    $229+shipping

[​IMG]
    SportingWood ITG JC30-65 'Sausage' filter package for 950 SE including plate, grommets, crankcase breather tube, Dzus clips and all necessary fasteners.
    $259+shipping

[​IMG]
    SportingWood SW7 Trimmed Velocity Stacks for 950SE
    $40+shipping

[​IMG]
    SportingWood SW7 ITG filter plate only (no filter)with grommets, Dzus clips and fasteners. (950 version displayed above)
    $109+shipping

[​IMG]
    ITG JC30-65 air filter only (other heights available by special order) $119

[​IMG]
    ITG JC30-65 Sausage Version air filter only (other heights available by special order) $149

[​IMG]
    SAS Block Off Plates $18

Terms are all prepaid with a cash back guarantee (excluding shipping) if your are not satisfied for any reason as long as the product is returned in good condition within 30 days.

Additionally, I'm just a member here, not a professional vendor of parts, accessories or financial services. This endeavor isn't about making loads of cash (obviously), its about sharing this really great improvement to LC8 riders who will most certainly appreciate it!

More HP - Less$ :freaky

Please include your contact phone number for the shipper with all orders. Payments accepted via Paypal (note exactly what you want in the email) and checks sent snail mail (pm for payment instructions.)

[​IMG]
  2. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    ITS HERE! What's Next?

[​IMG]

Installation courtesy of Dirtjack. :freaky

Every kit comes with two additional soft sealing gaskets. These are optional and aid in fitment as not every bike fits the same. I recommend installing without these but in the event that you need additional thickness, if the adaptor plate is loose, then install these as shown below. Attach the adhesive down onto the intakes. These will tighten the plates attachment while also providing an additional seal against any dust intrusion through the mount.
    [​IMG]

Additional install pics courtesy of YellowPig
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to install the included crankcase vent extension tube? First, remove the factory tube above the pcv valve and replace. Route along the left frame using the included zip ties.
    [​IMG]

Attach similarly to the chain guard directly above the countershaft sprocket.

[​IMG]

950 Jetting.

I am currently running 163/165 mains, 45 pilots, Factory Pro needle in the 3rd clip, 1.5/1.25 screws and floats at 4.5mm

I also have run 170/172 mains, 42 pilots, Factory Pro needle in the 3rd clip, 1.75/1.5 screws and floats at 3.5mm with great results, best for altitude.

Here's one inmate blublapp's jetting and dyno.

175 mains
    Factory Pro needle #2
    Floatlevel 4mm
    Screws at 2
    Rest standard!

120.4 hp on the clutch
    109.9 Nm torque on clutch

112.2 rwhp
    104.6 Nm rw-torque

[​IMG]
  3. KtmPedro220

KtmPedro220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please don't think I'm being rude but what are the benefits of this set up? Would I be worth investing?
  4. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:

The big 3 reasons IMHO;

1. Power, up from 155/160 main jets to 170-180.

2. Ease of service, simply pops off with 2 dzus and two twists of the velocity stacks. Ever taken off the airbox to get to the valves or tried to swap jets in the carb?:eek1

3.Reusability. Rinse, Use, Repeat. This costs approximately the same as 3 factory air filters.
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    SW, how likely is it to offer a jetting package too? :ear
  6. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I might! :freaky
  7. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sporting, I just filled my tanks for the 2nd time and got another 42 mpg. This is the same as running a Pre-filter and tiny jets (140,142) I'm at 800 metres and have 180 and 182 mains and this thing cracks. This is all win and cheap when you consider the cost of materials and the hours doing it by hand.:clap

Your right about the no-toil products....ate my pre-filter and rusted the springs (not stainless):cry. A couple of thoughts - if you face the hose clamps (that hold the carby down) so they do up from the right you never have to take the left hand fuel tank off again to work on the carby's. Also replaced the rear bolts (that hold the black tray down) with studs so now I never have to unscrew the glove box from the tray again. The seat once installed holds it all down. Easy now to work on everything.

I haven't found any downside to this and think this is one of the best mods anyone can do to their bike:D.
  8. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very Interested, sent you a PM
  9. Thumper996

Thumper996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Payment sent for kit for 2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
  10. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Thanks, got it. Filters are estimated here in 2-3 weeks and everything else is here. I'll be updating the thread soon with fresh pictures of the finished product.:freaky
  11. KTMandu

KTMandu Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested. PM'd you
  12. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Good to hear, Glenn! Giant main jets, gobs of hp and 42mpg, how can this be a bad thing?:lol3 (course I'm guessing those were Imperial gallons)

May I post some of the pics of your install? The filter you used, a super tall JC30-100 Sausage (available only by special order fyi), looks great!
  13. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for it Sporting (Chris):D. You know if you show those photo's it's going to change the world as we know it and you'll sell heaps:clap

My mains are large. Might go down a size or two, or just leave it alone as the plugs look right and this thing just goes so hard. Exhaust is nice and clean and not sooty. And this is from a bike with 76000 kms:eek1

My fuel is imperial measurements and by my calculations you are getting 47 mpg in my measurements (4.5 litres to our gallon) which is outstanding.

So why hasn't everyone got one?:ear
  14. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting, forgive my ignorance though. Would this be similar to the "other" kits out there that are fairly popular? I dont wanna name some names, but the ones that claim a power increase and whatnot.

What other supporting mods would a guy need to get? Besides h2w jets Im assuming. I drive a fair bit of gravel, would this system be good use for my style of riding, or is this more for on road type stuff?

I need a new air filter pretty soon anyways, and I think Im going to buy this system, but Im prety stupid when it comes to these mods! Need to know slightly what im getting into first haha.
  15. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    My kit is similar in that it uses the same or at least a similar filter manufactured by ITG. That's really where the similarities end. Materials and method of attachment are completely different. I've gotten a few questions about this, and I suppose its a natural one to ask. A close look will reveal little in common.

Only thing additional that's necessary is jetting and a crankcase vent filter. Its a straightforward and simple install. There will be a power increase once you get the carbs adjusted correctly to compensate for healthier airflow. Having a good jet kit and some intel as to what works best in your part of the world and at your elevations is the only real hurdle I can think of. My jetting setup is tuned for flexibility and economy with power available at the top of the range. I like it because it works everywhere. Many guys would rather tune for power and stronger midrange with a 45 pilot or a higher needle, fuel mileage and altitude flexibility be damned! That's OK too. You may need to add a tractor weight to keep the front down if you go this route. It all depends on what you're after. I mention this because its important to know what you're getting into and what your options are.

I also ride a lot of gravel and dirt. Air filters fill up quicker and this is where having a foam filter is nice. All it'll need when it gets dirty is a bath and some fresh oil and it'll last as long as the bike. Considering a new factory paper filter is almost $50, this will pay for itself quickly.
  16. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks for the info ya sold me.

Pming you for payment info.
  17. katoomryder

katoomryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance you'll make a plate up for the 990's?
  18. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    What is the exposure to rain? Will there be any problems from extended riding in a downpour?

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD
  19. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I'd like to do that. If there's a 990 owner in central NC that wants to give it a go, pm me.
  20. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a problem nor heard of anyone else either, and that includes the folks using other alternative filters. I'd feel certain the guys who run the paper filter boxes would have found out water was a problem and shot up the red flag.