Hacks-n-Pups

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by PackMule, Dec 20, 2007.

1. jtskir222

jtskir222 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Took Bryson out to chase the North America Wild Card Tag today...

The tag was a uninhabitable abandoned house.

Found this one...
    [​IMG]

And then this one...
    [​IMG]

And after the grab, we dropped the tag at the local dog park.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
  3. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hacktub's not even ready yet but Evi wants to stay as close as possible, afraid to miss a thing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
  4. idealistix

idealistix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First ride of the season last week! Mango Lassie is on the left and Mellon Collie is on the right. I'm fond of stupid names for my dogs. :D

Both dogs are wearing chest harnesses, but it's hard to see under all that fluff. The sidecar has seatbelts, so it is easy to attach the harnesses to the seatbelts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. DustyPawson

DustyPawson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my kids again before embarking on today's ride. It bums me out to think about leaving either behind; so I've taken the idea I've seen with other's 2-dog setups for the Ural tub. It's taken a few rides, but I think I've finally got my setup dialed in for dog comfort and security.(I'll post pics of my setup in the other dog thread.) Murphy is the big guy in front--just a pup really at 16-months. He just topped 100 pounds, but he is still growing. He's a Newfoundland/Bernese Mtn Dog mix. He's still learning his manners when it comes to behaving in the tub. He tries to take off his goggles (only when we stop); he lurches agains his harness straps, which "shakes" the whole bike; and he's so tall that he has a tendacy to head-butt my throttle elbow at some inappropriate times.

In back is my 3yr old Australian Shepherd girl, Aria. She was the one I was worried about in the sidecar--didn't think she would take to it. I was so wrong. She is just a perfect passenger, and I cannot believe how so well behaved she is. She never makes a peep; rides equally well up front or ine back; and just always seems to have an expression of utter contentment (bliss?) on our rides. I had to take the windshield off because she was always trying to peer around it--likes it off much better. Although she's only been a passenger for about a month now, she now pulls toward the garage on morning walks instead of to the front door (and her waiting food bowl). (She is far too smart for her own good.). I'm also getting used to having nearly 200 pounds of dog in the sidecar. (I'd like to get some scenic photos taken out on the roads--and I've seen many people taking them through their car windows--we haven't yet stopped and posed for any.)
    [​IMG]
  6. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    Is there such a thing as a very small sidecar designed to accommodate our furry friends and maybe a LITTLE more?
  7. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Not that I know of. There is that sportbike leaner photo that keeps poppiing up on here, but I'm certain that was a custom build. That being said, if you can dream it, the likes of CSM and DMC can probably build it.

8. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    After a few trips to the dog park in which Bryson hung out in the water with his favorite gal Mickey (a Weimeraner), Bryson needed a bath. Normally drying him is the hard part. I had a better idea though. Wet dog, warm day, and a Ural. Problem solved.

[​IMG]

9. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Posted this over at SovietSteeds, but figured the crowd here could benefit from the info. I just picked up our Pooch Pad today from Bobby at Riddles Custom Upholstery. He did a little something different for me. I wanted snaps on the retaining straps, so I thought I'd pipe in and give a visual as to what I was going for. The seatback on my 2011 Gear-Up bolts in, and I didn't want to have to unbolt it every time I switched from pooch to person in the sidecar. This should remedy the problem and add for a quick conversion.

First, the Pooch Pad itself, already being enjoyed by Bryson the Giant Schnauzer. He didn't waste any time laying down on it while I worked on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the view of the straps with the snaps so you can see the final product.

[​IMG]

HDFlame mentions the bolts in the back of the hack for his straps. My 2011 didn't have those, but had rubber plugs in their place.

[​IMG]

I bought new bolts and wingnuts to make the windshield quickly detachable as well, so I used the extras for this application. I removed the plugs and inserted the bolts/nuts with to secure the straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seatback attached, view from the trunk.

[​IMG]

And the view from the tub with the snaps exposed. Now all I have to do is snap the dog bed in when it is Bryson's turn to ride.

[​IMG]

All snapped up!

[​IMG]

And Bryson is ready to go!

[​IMG]

But I had to test it out for myself. This thing is COMFY!

[​IMG]

So now all I have to do is pop two snaps and drop in the seat for human passengers. I've got wingnuts on the windshield too, so I can go from person mode to pooch mode in about two minutes.
  10. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Nice... I would check into this harness though...

Soft pad and movement will make your dog loose weight and insecure as I found out with Spirit. He lost about 5 lbs pretty quick and when a dog weighs 58lbs to start with, it shows...

This has worked out real well. Of course Spirit rides about 50,000 miles a year for the 6th consecutive year, might not make much of a difference for short rides.

Be well... Ara and Spirit
  11. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my dogs, Murph and Dusty, out recently just to check out a camera mount for stability, which was mounted on the grab bar of my Ural. The dogs chronically wag their tails and woof in sheer excitement whenever we go for a ride. It does not matter how short, how long or what type of sceenery we expect to see on a ride, anytime they load up and their tails are a waggin', then I know all is right with the world and the ride will be fun. They make me laugh and I probably do them, as well. I'm going to have to put on a magnetic mount to get pics of Murph lookin' out the dog hatch of the sidecar at some point. If you notice, that is where he ducks out of sight to anytime the rig moves forward. Life is always an adventure with my dogs onboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RapNDXdCj5U
  12. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Why don't you plan on Big Bend for sometime next winter? Plenty of room to camp... change of scenery for you... Terlingua is a cool little Town unlike any other in the Country... A thought.

Be well... Ara and Spirit
  13. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Cool. You really should get Doggles or some sort of eye protection for your pups.
    Did you notice the person driving the red SUV took their pic? LOL
  14. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Oh no, the ATGATT police are hijacking the Pups thread...

15. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Doggles advice. I do appreciate it, but I'll opt to pass for now. I don't support the use of them on my dogs and the dogs absolutely hate them, too. I have had several pair for my dogs over the years and none of them have ever taken to them. These two, just as the two before them, go to the Vet routinely and after all the years of their riding with me, none have had any eye problems.

No, I didn't view the truck you mentioned, but I seldom look about at the vehicles around me at a stop light to see who is gawking or not. I may reach over an pat Dusty or even Murph, but I mostly let them do their own thing in catching the eye of others. I have to be careful at some intersections, as people lose their focus when turning and suddenly see the dogs in the hack. I have had a couple of them almost wreck when they did that.

This is another DIY camera mount that I made from an electrical piece (Don't know the name of the thing). Any rate, we were just taking a brief ride to check the mount for vibration. It was pretty steady. I had intentionally left the articulating arm where it was and didn't worry over it showing in the field of view. Like say, the test was just for anti-vibration of the camera mount.

Murph and Dusty ride this way and have done so for years. You probably can't see their tethers, but they are there. Murph loves to see out the dog hatch of the sidecar. We ride fast most of the time, so they are prone to attracting attention as they ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYVKP31oak
  16. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    No clue what ATGATT means.
    And I wasn't trying to hijack the thread.
    I joined this thread to get some ideas to cart my two puppies around.
    And I've received some good advice and seen some nice pictures.
    I only wish a sidecar was cheap enough for me to add to my KLR.
    I like how the one guy put his fur buddies in his metal panniers.
    I'll probably do what the one guy did with a plastic dog house.
    He posted some pics already.
    Great idea.
  17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. They really seem to enjoy the ride. Those tails do wag something fierce.

Yeah. I didn't think you noticed while you were riding, as I didn't see you look that direction. I thought you may have noticed after reviewing your video. I did see you pet the one puppy closest to you.

I didn't really notice any vibration that I can recall. So the mount seems good. Good job.

No. I noticed their tethers. They hang down the front of their chests. It seems your one dog likes to look back, whereas your other dog likes to look front. Whatever makes them happy. They sure do seem to enjoy it for sure.

18. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    The wife and I went riding for a bit yesterday, and Bryson was a wee bit pissed he didn't get to tag along. When we got home, I parked the Ural differently, and with current projects going on, the sidecar was a bit inaccessible to Bryson. Nevertheless, it made it easier for the driver to get on and off.

After playing with Bryson in the yard for a bit, he disappeared. Melissa and I rounded the corner to see this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He sat there for a good while, long enough for me to stop laughing and take photos, and then stayed there for a while after we went inside. Finally Melissa decided that he might hurt himself trying to get down, so I plucked him off the seat. I'm still not quite sure what he thought he was going to do up there.
  19. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy RidingDonkeys,

Looking at your photos, I think your dog is possessed, I suggest getting a hold of an exorcist NOW. :lol3
  20. Mr.Mellow's WildRide

Mr.Mellow's WildRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh.......hump your gas tank...........???

:evil