Fun with Outright Junk

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

:lol3
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I did mine years ago there was an article I followed in dirt bike magazine. It was pretty simple, just a slight v cut from the bottom not quite to the top. I cut it, a friend welded it straight up with no gussets.
  3. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I did it on my TL125 back in about "75. I noticed it wanting to turn up or down depending which way it was pointed on off camber stuff so I just removed the tank and seat and turned it upside down like we use to do our bicycles to fix a flat. Then cut a small wedged shaped piece out of the frame with a hack saw right behind the steering head. Just kind of eyeballed it. As I remember the wedge was about 5/16" at the top(lower part of frame) and stopped before it went all the way through. That way all I had to do was pull the forks back till the gap closed up and weld it back together. Again just eyeballed it. Your eye is pretty good at getting it right if you look at it from all angles and take your time. Now this was a long time before anyone was doing this stuff and I really didn't know exactly what I was doing, but when I was young I was pretty sure that there was nothing I couldn't do and wasn't in the least bit afraid to try. Anyway, It steered a lot better. I might have over done it a little, but it was pretty close to really good. With close attention to weight distribution it worked really good. Our club (NTTA) hosted a national trials that year and before the event one of Marlin Whaley's mechanics asked to try it. I didn't think he was going to give it back. He rode it around for at least 30 min. Later I sold it and got a Sherpa T for trials and a TL250 for a Colorado trail bike. Put a headlight and tail light on it and rode it for years. That thing would go anywhere. :D
  4. Highside>Lowside

Highside>Lowside Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer:
    Never trust advice from someone who can't keep his word.

:deal
  5. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
    as quoted by Brewtus....... aint never practiced on a TL250 have ya?? LOL
    mines 218lbs as it is...rode with sting and his dad here awhile back and had to come home and take a Nap!!! felt like I been Bear Wrasslin!!!:wink:
    The nap Lasted longer then the Ride!!
    Larry
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was heavy but damn fun to ride! I would practice over 40 hours a week back when it was new. Right up to October 20, 1975. Halfway thru a trials on my sixteenth birthday I blew out my knee, but did finish the event! Never even started that bike again. Turned the bike in the following week.
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

No Larry, never practiced on a TL250. Never even ridden one in fact. I chose the "lightweight" Reflex instead. :lol3

Tell "Mitchie The Kid" I said "Hi", and a reminder to both of you that we have a National coming up soon. See you both there??? :ear
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    What's Up Brewtus... you got me blocked or something? :thumb . :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Uh, no. Not as far as I know anyway. 'Sup, me bruddah??

PM sent! :D
  11. Miss Bitters

Miss Bitters You have head pigeon.

Oddometer:
    Perfect timing. I just now found the keys to the forklift....

:amazon:cob
  12. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

:lol3
  13. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Line, FWIW I was conceived and born raised for a while in denver, Hence my references to being early on member of RMTA as a kid.

I would rather be up in the hills, all it takes is money lol. Heck, back when I was 20, I began smoking.. I guess just because in low elevations I was getting tooooooooo much oxygen --- ok dumb and bad joke.

I might not hang as well nowdays due to smoking, but I actually feel better when I was on the slopes in colorado couple years past, than I ever feel "normally" in KS. Just FYI.

I really want to meet you sometime Lineaway... Dad is sure he knows who ya are, I think I keep assuming you were someone else.
  14. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:

If you installed a chineese pitbike carb on the forklift, it would have started itself. :lol3
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

:photog
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be great if you guys made our national! Really thought you were going to the world round, it was just the mention of the ADV stickers!! If I could get my elbow working again I might make a Central Regional. Otherwise I`ll stick to the vintage series.
  17. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I took the Reflex down to the desert last weekend and had a lot of fun (that's the point, eh?). Turns out the slack steering angle works great in sand, especially for bombing down sand washes. (Environmental aside: I like riding in dry washes because any tracks you leave will generally be obliterated by the next flash flood. That's my take anyway)

Said wash, near camp, with truck tracks. It got nicer the further up you went but I was having too much fun to remember to get out my camera:

[​IMG]

Reflex and camp. Weird exposure - I was messing with the settings on the camera and all my pictures came out sort of blue. But you get the idea:

[​IMG]
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of old junk. I just rode that `ole 247 Fantic around the yard. Forgot how good the motors were in these things!
  19. Ccino

Ccino No Soft Ones

Oddometer:
    I've just ridden my Fantic 307 in a club trial in the worst weather I've ridden in. Poor old bike did a whole lot better than I did, and took mercy on me by eventually throwing the chain (escape clause) and breaking the screw-on guard for front sprocket. Super strong motor, as previous writers have said, but when you wind it up and ride for extended period (between sections, or back to vehicles) it always sounds as if it's going to explode. Hasn't yet, and I can tell it hasn't had an easy life in the twenty something years before I became its' owner.
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Didn't even know you had one. You are full of surprises.