Post your Buell break down stories here!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Crow, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    Buell is put out of business, a "fire sale" occurs, many more Buells are now on the road...any failures? Post here.

I've heard of problems with the Buells, but it will be enlightening to read of situations encountered by ADVrider members.

If there's "silence" in this thread after many months, then we may get a feeling the new Buells are reliable.
  2. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    :asshat troll
  3. Uneasy Rider

Uneasy Rider The life of Riley

Oddometer:

Come on man. Why kick a man when hes down? :nono

I'm no Buell fan but I am sad to see them go.

I second the :asshat Troll comment.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    How is it you've been a member here since 2003 and know so little about this place that you think this was a good idea?
  5. eoR

eoR Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer:
    I broke down and bought one.

Does that count?
  6. eoR

eoR Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer:
    When I'm done with it. :evil
  7. dfishman

dfishman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my Uly.Other than that 25000 miles trouble free.I was hoping to get a 2013 Uly when the time came.Best bike I ever owned in 27 years of street riding.
    If you look at every brand......some bikes have problems.The XB series was reliable.Some of the Tubers had some issues,but were easy to work on.
    I will miss Buell!
  8. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some good can come of this thread......
    Scenario. New 08 XB12X.
    800 miles CEL is on.
    Local HD dealer refuses to work on it.
    Truck bike 2.5 hours to next dealer.
    Dealer resets light and pisses around with the exhaust actuator. It should be replaced but its working for now.
    Truck bike home.
    840 miles CEL is on again.
    This time the local dealer has someone who is familiar with Buells and reads the code. Exhaust actuator. But they will not fix it.
    Truck bike 2.5 hours to next dealer.
    Dealer has to order parts and keeps it for the week.
    Actuator is replaced. Go back to pick up bike and bring it home.
    Now, riding is done here for the year. These actuators are a problem on some Uly's.
    How much trouble can be expected next year? This bike is scheduled for a trip to Prudhoe Bay next June. Has anyone ditched this actuator? Any problems in removing it?
  9. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frankly I like the idea of a " buell troll thread". It's much less obnoxious than trolls posting on the serious farewell to Buell threads, which is analogous to a drunk showing up a funeral and shouting "I never liked the a**hole anyway" .
  10. skibootdog

skibootdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    buell had a dealer base that never tried to markert buell, it took too much time. the HD brand was allready presold. on a per mile, unit, buell was more realible than both triumph and aprilia.
  11. rhpaw

rhpaw n00b

Oddometer:
    The farther away they are from a Harley dealer, the better they seem to run.

They're trouble free if you service them yourself.
  12. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Was riding with a buddy and parked it at a local biker grill. Only happened once. Started it up and the damned thing puked oil (as we all know they can) out the intake and pissed onto the pristine, shiny Honda CBR1000 next to it on the right!

I started to get angry with it... but ...considering the source I couldn't fault it for manners or style..
    Crow - was that yours?!?

Is this a problem the dealer should've fixed under warranty?
  13. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I went to buy one and it broke down on the test ride. Does that count?
  14. dogfm

dogfm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never ridden one but love big v Twins - can't work on bikes myself so need dealer support.
    They are selling them off cheap but HD dealers look like they washing their hands off them :eek1
  15. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    The only thing that needs to be repaired here is your local dealer. If they are in fact a Buell dealer they are not allowed to refuse to work on it. Call HD/Buell customer service and report them.
  16. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    How good are you at reprogramming FI code in your garage? A lack of dealer support that is remotely local is a deal breaker for me jumping on the fire sale bandwagon.

I've only got two Buell break down stories, then again I've only seen three Buells actually privately owned.

The first Buell I ever saw was a Blast that had just exploded it's rear plastic sprocket, snapped the drive belt and left a nasty gash on the n00b riders back. So my first Buell experience was finding a woman crying in a ditch next to a broken motorcycle...somewhere in there is a darkly poetic image.

Fast forward years later and I see an 1125R at the same time I'm toying around with the idea of picking one up. The rider was happy, he'd just gotten his bike back after six weeks...it had been practically rebuilt at the dealer after puking fuel and exploding into flames in his driveway :huh

I did ride with an XB12 owner for a day, he liked his bike once the dealer sorted his FI programming and put on 30,000km without too many problems (back to that "keep a Buell dealer handy" thought line)

I've never ridden with tubers much, but early Buells remind me of British cars. They're like reverse kit vehicles, you buy a shiny new motorcycle, take it home and reduce it to pieces. Once you put it together properly you'll be fine for years.
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Piece of cake. Look up ECM spy.
  18. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    Argh, if I still had the patience & motivation to spend half the weekend staring at a laptop I'd still be tuning the MegaSquirt on my Toyota turbo instead of selling it! It's a good alternative for those that make the plunge though, this th'd seems to give an idea what Buell ownership without a dealer is.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253312
  19. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    No one needs this stuff and no one has to be without a dealer, it's just nice that it's available to those who want to tinker.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    :asshat