Heated gear.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bob393, Sep 17, 2012.

1. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Owwwwwww! Now there is a salient point to clear up.

Please do that for me. I have had no luck researching that info. But, both these companies have at least a "good" reputation. My decision was based on customer service and report. WnS is headquartered in Portland and I tell them the same thing I tell all the merchants-- "you don't have to be cheaper, just close. I try to buy local" and at least made in USA. I ride a Triumph, by the way, so there is some flex in my commitment.

John
  2. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last I read, Gerbing was moving (trying to move) production back stateside. Odd that they don't make any mention of it on their site though.
  3. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    They have moved to Stoneville, NC, about 20 miles from here.

AFAIK
  4. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    Backwards? How ?

5. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    Not made local. Gear is made overseas Pakistan, China

6. daesimps

daesimps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those of you in the UK there's a group buy going on for Gerbing's XR12 gloves. RRP is £159.99 and if we get enough buyers they'll go down to £99. They're currently at £109.99.

The buy expires at 12:00 (lunch time) on 27/10/2012.

The link is http://www.buyapowa.com/ref/oVsLOd

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting but thought it timely and appropriate. I have no connection whatsoever with any involved parties and just thought it was a good price.
  7. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Warms is safe when riding and the Warm n Safe gear is excellent. A1!
    Wonderful gear. 3000 plus miles 42-80 degrees with the jacket/gloves and dual remote. What a treat.

I sent the ultimate touring gloves back and got the liners and I am much happier with the liners. I have a lot of wind protection plus I do not like a lot of bulk in the gloves. The tgp rainier jacket does not require a long glove.

Don't forget the adv discount with warm n safe and the outstanding customer service.
  8. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So now I have used the jacket liner and gloves with the dual zone remote controller twice and I must say what a treat!

The jacket liner at about one third setting was comfortable at 70 mph but when I slowed down or stopped I must say it
    was to hot. The gloves were toasty. It was in the low 50'd F that day. I used the gloves alone with a different jacket, I got the long cables also, and I didn't think they got hot enough for a ride to work one morning until I realized that without the controller I was on the default setting, again one third power if I remember. That ride was in the high 30's F.

So far I must say I'm impressed!

This is one of those pieces of equipment that everyone says you should have but you don't listen. Than when you get
    it you wonder why you waited so long? So I'm thinking my days of stopping and holding onto the cylinder trying to
    warm up my hands up is over.

I hope!
  9. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Spummerr,

Not to pick on you. I would expect this from anyone:

Stating that WarmNSafe is a foreign made product when in fact it is Made In the USA is a sort of defamation of character. You need to set the record straight for yours and theirs sake. Perhaps in a separate thread. You get a very wide read here, world wide actually, and while the forum is not "Made in the USA" it seems to have a real concern with truth in advertising and providing valid information to the members and public. Maybe some would not make a purchase if the item was made in the USA. That has to be possible, in theory at least.

Certainly do appreciate your participation and congrats on getting a product you enjoy and that is functioning for you.

John

10. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    I challenge you both to provide pictures of the garment tags in question. I can find no statement of origin or manufacturer on either companies site.
  11. twasp

twasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find that the Warm n Safe is heated all over and that the high output 105 watt model is very warm. I also have a pair of the Gerbings heated pants liners. They have areas of heated wire on the fronts of the thighs and the lower leg that are warm. But everwhere else is unheated. The thigh areas heat is good, the lower leg heating area was almost undetectable to me. 30-40-degree ride.
    Aerostich tech2 liner has a much lower watt draw and is not very warm even in the insulated jacket.
    Gerbings T5 gloves are not very warm. They must be a european stlyle, the gauntlets are very tight and only fit under a jacket and not over the tops of the sleeves.
    The amount of heat from the Warm n Safe was a pleasant revelation to me.
  12. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Table,

It isn't for me to spring into rebuttal action when another says "you haven't provided proof". Back in history, the Brits had an attitude of "I said it and that is true till you prove me wrong". They are sort of arrogant, in that regard. It was the "ever vexed with an inferiority complex Germans" that started Foot Notes that would verify a point or facts expressed in the text. Lets share this adventure: you find where W&S isn't made domestic and I will take on the other not being made foreign...or vice versa. I don't feel any obligation with this but I will offer anyway.

Thanks for your comment and observation. Everything sold domestic MUST state the nation of manufacturer. Did you know that there is a city in Japan named Usa? So look closely.

John
  13. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    Here Ya Go. ALL warm & safe clothing is made overseas. First picture is Gloves, Second Socks, Third Liner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    Warm & Safe pants only have heat on the front to.

15. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bravo, thank you sir!
  16. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Dunno if it's any good or not, but I dun gotz me a jacket & controller at http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/heated_jacket_liner/web1011442 fer $150 :lol3
    Haven't tried it yet, cuz I'm wait'in fer the chingadero to go from SAE to the round thang on the controller. When it comes in, all let y'all know how it works. :D

Guess it depends on wut yer definition of America is? :rofl
  17. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    this one of the Microwire jacket liners, got it thru Revzilla last year. Heated gear makes all the difference :)

[​IMG]
  18. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    You might have a collectors item! Last Gerbing liner made overseas? :D Now they're made in the USA!!:clap
  19. johned

johned green noob

Oddometer:
    Spummer,

I wrote you a "Thank You" note right after I read you post. Rarely do my posts seem to go to the either but this is one. Yours was a superb post.

It also removed "country of origin" from my consideration if all are from "over there". Really, thanks.

John
  20. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    Picked up a jacket liner and gloves from the Gerbing's stand at this weekend's Atlanta bike show. The liner originally offered didn't fit anything like the similarly sized demo version and - after rummaging around for a few moments - the sales associate informed us that it was part of their overseas production. She subsequently located a domestic product which fitted just like the demo. I don't have any label photos unfortunately, so you'll have to take my word for it :D
    Plugged it all up last night and initial impressions suggest that the liner is significantly warmer than either of the Aerostich vests I own, while the gloves appear to heat up much faster than the older tech Gerbing's products.

Douf