Which luxury tourer?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Domromer, May 4, 2013.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    He's about 5'10" with an appx 30" inseam. He says it is built for taller/longer folks, which was also my thought when I rode it. I know that probably suits you better. His secondary complaint is parts and accessories cost, something I can attest to from my time as a specialty claims adjuster. Victory parts are outrageous. Still, they are high quality bikes and a real steal if you find one lightly used and let someone else take the depreciation beating.
  2. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks. I will probably do similiar. Passenger backrest and detachable luggage rack are must do's for me. Other than that, I'm not planning on changing much for awhile, if ever.

3. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fat. Not "phat".

The seating is better than a standard Wing. Roomier.

Typical Honda everything else.

An interesting alternative. But Harley's are better looking- to me.
  4. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Would the Norge qualify as a "luxury" touring bike?
    Lyle
  5. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This I don't get. The floorboards are 18" long with adjustable brake and shifter pedals. If that's not enough you can move the entire floorboard assembly back another inch or so if desired. Longer handlebars and risers are also readily available. If he's not comfortable maybe he didn't try to hard.

While taller than your friend I've not found a more comfortable bike for me, stock.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    His main complaint had to do with reach to the bars. I felt the same way after I rode it. He doesn't have long arms, but they aren't abnormally short either. He has changed the bars and it still doesn't work for him.

Glad you are comfortable on it. Some folks just can't get comfortable on a particular bike no matter what they do. It's more than just distance between seat and controls, often it's about the geometric relationship. I've been there after spending lots of money and wasting many hours of my time only to have to concede defeat and sell a bike I otherwise really enjoyed. My '06 FJR was one such bike. Even after 30,000 miles, the MCL Larry upper fork brace, a couple of custom seats, and a host of other things I had to accept the fact that it was contributing to my chronic tendonitis issues. So I sold it.
  7. timspong

timspong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the 80's in Edinburgh, Scotland. There were a few clapped out British bikes, a handful of Italian exotica, a smattering of beemers exclusively ridden by old folk and absolutely no Harley's at all. So all anyone had were Japanese bikes.

However, the one thing I remember was everyone used to hate on goldwing riders for some reason. I guess because as far as we figured, you may as well drive a car than ride a Goldwing. We had no concept of Harley hating at all and if we had ever seen one our jaws would have dropped in awe.

I was going to make a really profound point but I can't remember what the hell it was now. I guess I'd better go buy a Beemer!

Edit.....
    Now I remember. To this day I would never even consider buying a goldwing merely because of how we used to bad mouth them over 30 years ago and I guess there are similar prejudices here in the US about Harley's. At the end of the day, buying a bike is more of an emotional decision than a practical one so care must be made not to choose a bike for practical reasons alone. Kinda like choosing a wife I guess.
  8. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:

Boatpuller....where did you get the info "The human heart make a vibration when it fires off, in a cadence that is remarkable similar to a Harley 45 degree v-twin when it fires off. I don't think that was HD's intent, but it is note-worthy."

That is intersting.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My heart beats at about 64 resting pulse per minute. I guess if one turns down the idle so it's extremely close to stalling, you may get close..

As for HDs being luxury tourers, may as well add the big honda VTXs, kawi vulcans, yami stratoliners and roadstars. There are many ways to tour on big cruisers. it doesn't need to be HD or nothing, like many here believe.
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    We must be reading different threads, because I've not seen anyone say or even suggest HD was the only option. I've seen lots of folks with lots of experience across many motorcycles/manufacturers say it is their favorite option, which only suggests there's something more to the touring ability and comfort of a Harley than you care to admit. In fact, the only closed-minded posts I've seen in this thread have been from anti-Harley folks, such as yourself :deal
  11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my impression of the Victory bikes as well. It was mediocre ok as long as the wheel was pointed straight ahead. Turn it though and the tremendous sweep of the bars almost had me laid out across the tank trying to hand onto the far grip.
  12. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    My all time favorite big time tour was done on a naked Suzuki GS 750. Clearly it's the best and you all are just wrong.:D
  13. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  14. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No Lyle, a Norge is not a Luxury Tourer, but it is a hell of a good bike to cover alot of states quickly! You know, it is as much a luxery tourer as a Harley FL since neither quite reach that bar IMHO. Given the choice I would ride the Goose over the Harley, because I find it more comfortable, better wind protection and smoother.

It is funny. After reading this entire thread, the only people that feel that they have to defend what they ride are the Harley people.
  15. cb1313

cb1313 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take a good look at what you get with bike. Cb
  16. scotty918

scotty918 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the toad was just asking for it...:rofl
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you are including me in that mix or not, but just in case you are I own and ride a Triumph Tiger. If I'm defending against anything it's the wholesale dismissal of an entire brand based on anecdotes and general baseless prejudice by folks who have an axe to grind and seek to influence others accordingly. If we allow these vocal few to succeed in deviating these discussions from fact and experience into prejudice, all advice here becomes unreliable and ultimately useless.

There have been plenty of Gold Wing discussions in which I've done exactly the same thing, for exactly the same reasons.
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

So, you're basically a Jesus Christ Motorcycle Superstar? Where does that leave Thee Road Toad? Is he your fake newb? :rofl

I cross HD off my list of bikes to buy because they are hideous to look at. They really need a more seemless looking product like Victory has done instead of a 1940's design with crap hung all over it. I can tolerate the look of say, the first FatBoy, but once they hang a plastic bat wing fairing and plastic boxes without hinges, then add in some of those plastic leg deflector things I'm ready to throw up. :puke1

Looks like another luxury bike is about to enter...again...Indian. Kind of excited to see the finished product, maybe I'll ride the 'wing to Sturgis so I can see the unveiling?
  19. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Harley Davidson doesn't need a defence. They stand on their own. :deal

20. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By your own admission, you are just a rebal rouser. That that makes your coments completely worthless because you are just trying to start trouble. And for the record, I was not picking anyone out, but making a statement! But it did prove my point.:rofl