Kevlar lined riding jeans

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hammerdown77, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am having a hard time finding a pair of riding jeans that meet my specific requirements, and am wondering if maybe I'm just looking for something that doesn't exist. Hopefully someone here has found or used something similar to what I'm looking for.

Here's what I want:

- Cut like Levi's 505 or similar. Basically a regular (not relaxed) cut, not super low rise, not high rise, not baggy in the legs (boot cut is ok) like over pants.
    - Needs to come in lengths long enough for my 36in inseam
    - Not outrageously styled (this is subjective, but still a consideration)
    - Good protection with lining over the butt, hips, and knees
    - Armor is a don't care, as I will likely be wearing slip on/strap on armor underneath
    - Under $200 (under $150 would be even better)

That last requirement may be the killer, along with the second one (length) in some brands.

Also, since I know some will suggest it, Motoport is not an option right now.

Has anyone here found anything close to what I'm searching for, or am I just SOL?
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of Alpinestars Resist riding jeans. If I remember correctly, they were right at $200. I think they fit like regular Levis jeans, maybe slightly tighter. I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, but they are definitely long enough on me so I think they would work for you. They might look just slightly short. Most people can't tell them from regular jeans. Good protection. Kevlar is knees, hips, and butt, I think.

Now, I'm not sure if Alpinestars still makes the Resist, but you should definitely check out the brand.
  3. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Astars jeans look very close to what I want, except for the available lengths in the waist size I would wear (36 or 38). But as you have found, sometimes the lengths are longer than what is listed in the size chart. Guess I'll just have to order a pair and try them on.
  4. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of Scorpion Covert jeans from MotorCycle Closeouts, I think they were 100 bucks, LOTS of Kevlar, and they have pockets for armor. I ordered my regular jean size, they fit perfectly except that the legs are too long and need to be seamed up for me. They look and feel great, I am a happy camper.
  6. drz919

drz919 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you will be hard press to meet the last requirement if you want kevlar that goes down to the thighs (as it should so you are protected when your jeans bunch up). if you are buying kevlar I would consider that covering more than just your ass in Kevlar be a requirement. You also want hip and knee protection integrated.

So the two that come to my mind that meets that requirement are Hood Jeans and Lean Angle Jeans. Hood comes with D30 and Lean Angle comes with ForceField.

I have a pair of hood jeans and the knee pads can be adjusted in height by placing it on a velcro strip inside the jeans. That might be another feature to look for since with the pocket insert type jeans you are kinda stuck with the location of the knee pad.

p.s. Hood will alter leg lengths for no cost
  7. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was about the only pair I had found that seemed to match all of my criteria, but I was a little uncertain on the sizing (based on reviews that said either order your size, or order a size up). I may just go ahead and order a pair in my size and plan on exchanging or returning them if they don't work. So have you used these? Do you like them?
  9. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    +1
    These have 165G Kevlar from the waist all the way down to below the knees.
    Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Crotch to bottom hem measures 33".
    Q~
  10. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finn Moto kevlar jeans.

Offered in 300 gsm and 450 gsm, full coverage, kevlar! I wouldn't go with less than 300 gsm myself (it's one of the reasons why I chose these jeans) since less than that seems ineffective to me. This amount of Kevlar lasts 4 seconds in the abrasion test so imagine how long ~150 gsm would last.

Around 150$ + shipping from Australia for the 300 gsm model and around 200$ + shipping for the 450 gsm model. They come with knee pads too.

Not sure if the cut is what you're after though. But I must say that they look very good in indiglo blue.

http://www.finnmoto.com.au/mens-motorcycle-pants/

I bought the 300 gsm model, in blue, on Ebay and I very like these jeans. OK, they are hot in traffic in the heat but what can we expect from this kind of pants and protection anyway?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mens-Blue-Motorcycle-Kevlar-Jeans-Fully-Lined-300GSM-Protective-Pants-Finn-Moto-/351151109450?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&var=&hash=item51c23cb54a&vxp=mtr
  11. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't, because they didn't have any armor, which I wanted. I do have a pair of the Slider Cargo pants for around town / casual riding when I'm just riding to go hang out somewhere. They're thick, and a bit warm in the summer, a bit baggier than I'd prefer, and I've swapped out the knee pads for 3DO pads, but other than that, they're OK for the price. I've been thinking of picking up a pair of the Slider Khakis and/or Jeans as a second pair.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another option is kevlar liners underneath regular jeans: http://www.dragginjeans.com/draggin-liners/

note: there are two different companies that go by draggin jeans. One is the above company, and the other is an australian company at dragginjeans.net
  13. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Diamond Gusset Defenders.

However, you might consider them baggy. I don't know how skinny your legs are nor do I want to know. They fit my mighty loins just fine.

Really comfy, they look great, and they're extremely well made. Only $125. Get on the email list and they have sales every so often.

http://www.americangusset.com/defender_page
    stellarpod likes this.
  14. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the Sliders jeans. They fit well in the waist/hips/butt, but they are like over pants through the legs. Waay baggy. Other than that, they're ok, and they're fine on the bike, pretty comfortable actually.
  15. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too like the Scorpion Coverts. I don't like baggy jeans. My preferred jean is the Wrangler cowboy cut. I find the Coverts similar enough that I forget I'm not wearing wranglers. I've worn mine on 2 different multi day trips and find them very comfortable.
    The knee pockets are worthless, positioning the pads way high and to the inside when on the bike. I wear strap on knee protectors instead. The hip pockets are positioned fine, but are a little small. The sas-tec triangular pads and MSR d30 pads will fit.
    $120 all over the web.
  16. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at Revzilla and Motorcycle-Superstore and they have two different size charts for the Scorpion Covert jean. Revzilla shows all sizes with only a 32" inseam, and MS shows ranges of waist sizes, with the 36-37 (what I'd probably wear) as having a 34" inseam (which would probably be too short, unless it actually measures a little longer).

This is one of the reasons I hate buying jeans (motorcycle or not) online....
  17. Kit_Foxley

Kit_Foxley Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I can't endorse Hood or (better imo) kyrano jeans enough. I have been through 3 pairs, doing the too big/ too small/ just right thing, but those jeans have solid, heavy denim and a full, thick lining of kevlar. I prefer the knitted feel of the kyranos, the woven lining in the Hood jeans felt a lot ttle plasticky when it was hot, but the tradeoff was that they slid quite smoothly over underarmor.

I've recently purchased a pair of sliders, and I'm not impressed. The mesh liner is nice and all, but the kevlar and denim both feel thin to me. My gf likes how they fit on my butt, so i guess that's something.:wink:

My $.02, save up and get something really good and really make sure it fits before you take the tags off (my other weakness). Anything else is false economy.
  18. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few brands of kevlar jeans before I got a pair of lean angle jeans. There is no comparison. They are expensive but are the only jean I've tried that I could actually call protective gear. And they look good. :)
  19. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    I wear 36x36 riding jeans, and have to say that the compacc jeans are my favorite ones that come with armor. I have both the cargo khakis, and the blue and black jeans. If you order the jeans, go one size smaller in waist. I ordered 36x36, and they feel like 38x36.

As for jeans without armor, AGV has the best fit for me. They feel and fit like regular jeans, but the kevlar coverage is not as extensive as some other jeans.

I also tried several Draggin (USA) jeans, and found them to be way off as far as size, and of questionable quality.

Most other jeans (Alpine* etc.) don't usually have anything longer than 34" (or even 32") inseam.
  20. Lucifer Orange

Lucifer Orange perpetually amazed

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with Hood jeans.