knee/shin armor for touring

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by StriderJim, Jan 30, 2013.

1. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. This is my first post in the forum.

I'm interested in upgrading my gear, and could use some input.
    I'm a road rider only, and ride a large touring bike--you know, the kind you hate.
    (Harley Road Glide Ultra)

I wear kevlar jeans, and plan to stay with them, but would like to add knee/shin armor
    under them, if there is a product that would not be prohibitively uncomfortable.

Would like to hear from those currently using leg armor, as well as those who have tried it
    and found it unworkable.

thanks,

StriderJim
    piedmont NC
  2. Esker01420

Esker01420 Ich will einen taco.

Oddometer:
    Look on revzilla.com and check out knee armor choices. Dainese makes CE rated knee armor for about $100 that will fit under jeans and such.
  3. Socrates

Socrates Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sometimes wear kevlar jeans and have tried a bunch of knee/shin guards including Forcefield, Icon and Dainese. The best ones for me are the Dainese Knee V. They're comfortable, stay in place and seem to offer solid protection.

I prefer the Dainese Knee V over the newer Knee Six. Here's a link:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/knee_v_guards/web1009536
  4. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you can find a pair of these, they fit nicely under pants.... unfortunately they have been replaced by an updated model that is more bulky

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-shin-guards/

stick around for awhile, you'll be surprised by how many harley riders there are on adv.... :lol3
  5. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I live in shorts most of the year, so I strap on my Fox Titan Race knee pads and then step into a pair of zip to the hip over pants. All goes on in less than 60 seconds.

I find the separate knee/shin armor to be warmer but more comfortable than the armor that comes in the typical MC pants.

I think they cost me around $30.
  6. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    I keep an old xs650 at the shop for running to lunch etc, I also use the dirt bike oriented knee pads and they only take a minute to put them under my carhardts. I have several pairs made by thor , fox etc. and they are comfortable enough that now and then I forget to remove them and wear them home.

For days at the track I use a set from MSR, they offer even better protection but aren't nearly as comfortable for walking around. I keep a couple of pairs of Alpinestar and Sidi zip up boots there as well which takes care of the feet/ankles.
  7. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear Forcefield Limb Tubes, they're soft CE rated armor and are actually pretty comfortable to walk in. They also aren't overly bulky under jeans. The trick to keep them in place is to fold over the top and bottom of the tubes on top of the armor.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-limb-tubes
  8. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recommend Forcefield body armor.

I really like their products that I have their strap-on leg protector, arm protector, back protector and insert back protector, for myself and my wife.

Their leg protectors (and the back protector) are comfortable to be worn for a long period of time. I wore those two for more than 6 hours with no discomfort. :thumb
  9. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recommend the cheaper MX style knee/leg protectors with articulated knees. The Knox ones mentioned earlier are simillar to the ones I wear. (O'neil ???).

Even the not-very-expensive ones work just fine - work well as far as taking impact go, and make an amazing difference in really cold conditions.

Pete
  11. aussie_king_mick

aussie_king_mick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, and yes, I'm finding other HD riders. Currently reading through Fast Ferris's thread, who apparently lives not too far from me.

I'm not hardcore Harley, though. The RG is my first one.
    Have never had a dual-sport, and am beginning to think a Vstrom 650 might be a good idea.
  13. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bob.
    How would you feel about wearing them 10-12 hours a day, for days on end, in hot weather? :eek1
  14. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to ALL for the input.

I'm thinking that hard, strap-on style armor would be cooler in hot weather, but that soft "tube"-style armor would be more comfortable, generally.

Would that be a reasonable assumption?
  15. eebrumfi

eebrumfi eebrumfi

Oddometer:
  16. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that it would be okay, I wouldn't mind it. I plan on doing a long ride, which will involve a at least 10 hrs ride a day, and will wear the protector.

Off the bike, I have worn it for 3 hrs or so, strolling in a shopping mall waiting for my bike being serviced at a local shop.

I live in a tropical country, in Jakarta, Indonesia. It's hot and humid here all year long, and there's no discomfort wearing the protector. I wear it every day when commuting and every time I ride my bike... I had two accidents riding my bike, both times it was my knees that took the punishment. So after the second one :D I bought knee protector (Komine and then Forcefiled) and never leave home without it.
  18. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help, Bob.

See you on the road (well, probably not in Indonesia!)

19. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Opposite of my experience. But the only "tube type" knee armor I've used is Forcefield which I find incredibly uncomfortable. I have their shorts. Would have got their pants instead if I liked the knee armor.

Can you try before you buy?