Keep the dumbass in front of you or behind?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Tallbastid, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    There's a road nearby I take often, which allows a couple opportunities to safely pass but is otherwise a 50mph two laner.

I came up on a swerving Subaru (imagine that) last night, and could make out the driver was texting through the rear window. They were doing 30-60mph and going from guardrail to just over double yellow. There was no other traffic behind me, but there were oncoming cars, making a spontaneous pass difficult.

In that situation, would you rather have the dumbass in front of you, or behind you? I probably prefer keeping them out front so I can see them better, and not risk being rear ended, but I'm not sure that's the smartest idea. Last night I dropped my speed a bit to give myself more reaction time, kept them in front of me and paid more attention than normal to my rear views, as I was now riding a bit under the limit on a fast road.
  2. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    depends on conditions, and what not. given a choice i like to pass cars at every opportunity and open up a safe distance between myself and those now behind me. any action to pass in any given situation should be made cautiously but decisively imo

be attentive and aware of your surroundings and the road. i was caught in a similar situation recently. myself and a texting driver ahead are the only ones on a two lane road (one lane each direction). driver is going slow and slower, weaving to the right shoulder, and back in. as soon as i decide to pass and do so on the left the driver decides to accelerate a bit and move into an oncoming left turn lane while i am approaching to pass on the left

it was a "close call" as any, but it was a poorly calculated move on my part as passing too close to a left hand turn lane gave the driver opportunity to move over on me legally. i passed at the wrong time and position

lesson learned, YMMV. ride safe :1drink
  3. LudemJo

LudemJo Honourary Newfoundlander

Oddometer:
    Its funny you should mention that. I was driving my car over the weekend and saw a brand new Subaru weaving all over the road obviously texting. As I remained behind, it started drifting to the right and actually jumped the curb and both right side wheels were in the grass next to the sidewalk:eek1! Thank god there were no pedestrians walking along the road. The funny thing is it still had temp tags, but those right side wheels probably don't look so new now and I'm betting the alignment is not quite right now.

That is the first time I actually saw someone jump a curb...I was laughing so hard I almost crashed myself:rofl

Keep the idiots in front of you. If you decide to go around them, get the heck out of dodge so they cannot harm you.

John
  4. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    my "weaver" was in a Volvo :nod
  5. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a situation like this I more often choose to keep the dumbass in front of me. Reasoning, I can stop quicker than he can and and accelerate faster if need be. I can keep an eye on him easier than if he is in my mirrors. Slow down increase distance and maybe look for side roads to bail. Last thing I want is to be stopped for some reason with this guy behind me.
  6. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    The opinion of "duh law" where I am is that you should keep them in front as passing them exposes you to much higher risk as you overtake. By the same token, once you are in front of them and clear away (and you stay clear in front of them), any crash they cause won't involve you. I personally prefer to get clear of them but only if I can find a decent spot to overtake. If it's at all dicey I'd suggest dropping back and giving yourself room to react.
    Just my opinion of course and ymmv, but I've ridden and driven that way for thirty odd years and it's worked ok for me so far.
  7. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I agree with this line of reasoning. If the driver is in front of you, you are in control of more factors, IMHO.

Motorcycles need missiles for this very reason. :D
  8. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between the booze, the pot and the texting, keep these people in front of you and be a good witness.
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    In front.

Or way behind.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each situation will be different. In front of you when they cross into oncoming traffic and get punted right back at you is something I do NOT want to witness.
  11. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can see shit, you're less likely to step in it. Keep them in front.
  12. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Way in front - I'll, often as not, just take a different road, maybe even pull over for a few minutes - let some other vehicles act as a buffer betwixt the twat and me.
  13. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    When I had a fast bike, my preference would be to wait for a clear section of straight road and pass with the throttle WFO and get out as far ahead as possible. Most bikes can't really out-brake most cars, but a quick bike can definitely out-accelerate just about all of them. Passing can be risky with someone who can't even hold a lane, but if you're fast you can minimize your exposure.

Now I ride a slow bike, with shitty brakes and 50/50 DS tires. I stay well behind people like that and will turn down another road if feasible.
  14. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    How would "Take his registration, pull over, & call the cops sound!?"

Or is that just too fkin sensible for you morons?
  15. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot

Oddometer:
    Well said. Keep em in front.
  16. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    I suppose it would be interesting if the weaver got into a bit of a head-on right in front of you... I wonder where you would be in the resulting carnage.

I prefer to pass 99.9% of the time and get on with enjoying my day rather than having some driver occupy my head space.
  17. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Situational, like all things.

Had an accident twenty years ago in my car-- two lane winding road through a forest, long line of cars & trucks going ~35 mph. Guy in a Firebird decides this is too slow, he's weaving in and out of the lane to pass cars, totally in blind corners. He passes me, then passes the tractor trailer in front of me. I shake my head, bad feeling about this guy, but he's four or five cars ahead of me by now.

Off in the distance I see a cloud of dirt-- he tried to pass, car coming the other direction, he managed to swerve without colliding head-on but then wrapped himself around a tree (needed the full-up treatment, jaws of life and everything).

There's no obstruction in traffic, but the cars ahead all come to a quick stop. Nothing unreasonable, no panic braking, just routine stop. The tractor trailer ahead of me comes to a normal stop. *I* come to a normal stop.

The unlicensed-and-uninsured guy in the Camaro behind me, not watching the road, does NOT come to a normal stop. 35 mph into my rear turns my old Buick into an accordion. I incredibly somehow manage to not crumple my car underneath the back-end of the trailer ahead of me (don't tailgate, folks!).

Thankfully, I walked away, just a sore back for a few weeks.

But the lesson always stuck with me: as important as it is to pay the most attention to the cars in front and behind you, those aren't the ONLY cars out there. And just because you have an idiot in front of you doesn't automatically mean you don't also have an idiot *behind* you, too.

Sometimes, it's best to pass and get the heck away from the idiots.
  18. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's feasible, I'd prefer to be in front of them, but only if I could get in front of them by a good long distance.
  19. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    Keep them in front! You never know what kind of day the crack/methhead, drunk, crazy, bath salt infused driver is having. Passing them may well just be their cue to fixating on you and becoming aggressive.
  20. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    its always been my experience that keeping idiots and assholes behind you is the safest but Im allowed to lane split which changes everything. I would never want said idiot or asshole DIRECTLY behind me - preferably wayyyyyy behind me.
    If I knew I couldnt release and escape after passing someone I would leave them in front of me.....or take a different route.