Orthopedist Recommendation-Sacramento Area

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Cpt. Ron, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a sports/motorcycle aware orthopedist in the Sacramento region for a second opinion on my recent ACL issue (Really, a fucking bear!)

I've already met with one orthopedist. Well, I met with a PA. The radiologist has confirmed a torn ACl and partially torn MCL (which will supposedly self-heal). The ACL, on the other hand, is done. I'd like to talk with another professional who is familiar with my injury and our lifestyle to better understand the options and their repercussions.
  2. Kap

Kap Single Track Scalpel

Oddometer:
    Often times you can go with a less invasive approach. I have a completely torn acl, partial mcl tear and do not want surgery. I have a local doc that has several patients that ride or play sports with the same issue. Physical therapy is key as long as not in pain. If you have pain every day than surgery is probably best. If you work your hamstring muscles properly than can act as your acl. There's a company CTI, that have great acl braces with an mcl strap.
  3. skianreid

skianreid Boulder Moto

Oddometer:
    Contact, Judd Van Sickle uc Davis center for sports med. he will have an answer for ya. Also Eric Heidan is in Salt Lake. Cheap flight and an amazing guy with knees. Well worth the 69 dollar flight.
  4. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I know of two guys without functioning ACL's. One is a runner that runs a lot and keeps his legs strong. The other had Heiden rebuild his knee from a horrible skiing accident and currently uses a brace for his sporting activities (riding, skiing, mountain climbing etc.) Heiden told him that he'd need a brace after ACL replacement anyway, so he skipped the whole surgery/recovery period and went straight for the brace.

I was somewhat leaning towards PT and a brace, but I'm not so sure now. Loading up a new-to-us TTR125 last night onto the bumper hitch of the van (lifting one wheel at a time, not using a ramp), I had my knee go out on me. Yowza. Not that it really hurt so bad (iced it when I got home), but it's the fact that it happened. This is my daily life I'm dealing with, and my mind hasn't wrapped itself around this little handicap.

I got a recommendation from two inmates for Franzino in Napa, but he's not in my HMO group.
  5. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Relocated

Oddometer:
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Coffee in hand, reading away....
  7. NotBetty

NotBetty secret weapon

Oddometer:
    Dr. Garrett P. Ryle, Sutter General, Sacramento. I think he has a sports injury specialty. Mine was not an ACL issue, but my he was good w/my ankle fracture and broken wrist.

-Veronica
  8. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well having lived through two ACL replacements and a meniscus tear, skiing, I am glad I had mine fixed. The first happened in 1988 and I have the scares to prove they used old technology to fix that one. They also re-stapled my MCL, so the knee does not flop out of joint from time to time....but my MCL was completely severed. I also had no pain when I injured mine the first time. The reason I was told is that I completely severed both the ACL and MCL. I actually skied out of the situation, but knew i had issues as the knee fell out of joint and I had to ensure I did not put any lateral stress. It swelled up a bit but that is about it, the real pain came after the surgery, my first surgery, 1988, they put me in a cast for a week and getting the range of motion back was, lets just say painful. My second surgery went almost as smooth, as they used the microscope and had me up and about in a day or two.

Since yours was painful from the beginning, perhaps you simple stretched it and thus the pain. The MRI will show that, I am sure.

A year ago I jumped off my bike and somehow managed to tear my right knee's, the good knee, meniscus, the soft tissue under the knee cap. At 51 it seems that this surgery is the toughest to get over, not sure why but the pain, while not severe, has been on going and is just now subsiding to the point I can ride for extended periods, the surgery was late June.

I think you need to ask yourself how active do you want to be? I believe that the decision to repair or treat via Surgery or Only PT, is based on how active you plan to be. My first surgery occurred when I was 26 and wanting to continue skiing and mt biking. After I got mine fixed I had several years of some of the most epic ski days ever, so glad I fixed mine.

The good thing about the surgery and rehab is that it allows you to really focus on leg strength and you tend to get in pretty good shape. Regardless of which route you go, you are going to need to keep your legs strong, both weights and endurance. I ride bikes as much as I can and find that whenever i lay off, the knee really starts to give me problems.

Just my two cents, good luck and don't be scared of the knife, they can have you in and out in no time and usually riding a bike in a day or two., (range of motion).

My latest knee op was performed here in Merced by Dr Via, I was a little skeptical of his approach but to be honest he had me up and running in a week. Although this recovery has been longer then I had hoped, I have never had Meniscus repaired before and it can be painful. The worry I would have with a damaged knee is if you do not get it repaired, you might run the risk of damaging your meniscus, as the knee joint will not be as stable as it could and the possibility of tearing the meniscus goes up!

Best of Luck
  9. Herr Bae M. Vae

Herr Bae M. Vae Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer:
    Good luck trying to get an appointment with Eric Heiden. I tried to see him about my knee back when he was practicing in Sacramento but could never get in. Are any of the ortho's mentioned here shoulder doctors?
  10. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Van Den Bogaerde (sp?) in think at UCD med ctr now. Did my carpal tunnel. Bunch of football players in his office when he was in Folsom.
  11. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Capt. Ron
    Haven't needed him since leaving SJ. Darrell Kauffman. Looks like he's still there but also has an Oregon practice. He listens to what you lifestyle is and what you expect and will give you a no shitter answer about what he expects you to get.
  12. Superhunk

Superhunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dr. Stephen Franzino (Napa)....Cpt. Ron mentioned him, did my rotator cuff surgery. He did a great job. Can't recommend him enough.