Authentic Paris Dakar Bike?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by reconchris, Apr 21, 2013.

1. reconchris

reconchris n00b

Oddometer:
    So there is a nice guy in my town who collects and sells old bikes. About 2 months ago i noticed something in the back of his shop. It was a Honda that said PARIS DAKAR on the tank and I immediately got woozy. I didn’t have the money at the time to buy it but 2 months later (now) I do. The bike in the photo album linked below is suppose to be the same bike that I saw 2 months ago. But I cant find PARIS DAKAR anywhere on it now. Is this really a PARIS DAKAR Rally bike or just a XL650. Please tell me I plan to either buy it or pass it up this Friday. Also it has 71,000 miles on it, would you guys pay 2,000 dollars (U.S.) for it? I also took a photo of the VIN plate its in the album.

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/r...&page=1&_suid=1366584658306005197354685607375
  2. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    I'm not familiar with that model, but its a production bike. Maybe imported form Canada?

It is not a P-D Works race bike. IMO it looks rough and with 71K, I don't think I'd want it for free.
  3. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much what he said...looks like the factory bike and a pretty rough one, at that. Not worth much, I'm afraid.
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PD race bikes usually don't still have the passenger pegs on them.
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    It's an XL600LM. European or possibly Canadian model. Basically it's an XL600 with kick and electric start , larger tank and the dua lights.
  7. zoo mob

zoo mob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the looks of those tanks, but that bike is beat. I'd say it's worth no more than $1k.
  8. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I thought that Honda fielded the Transalp as their 650 PD bike. V twin engine. At the very least they would have ran the XR650R and not the XL.
  9. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    If that was here (Australia) I'd guess it's a stock production bike grey imported from Japan.

This site has a huge amount of Dakar rallye bike info and pics - http://www.rallye-tenere.net/Honda.html

Stock
    [​IMG]

Factory Rallye (IIRC:lol3)

[​IMG]
  10. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:

Damn, those bikes are missing their turn signals as well..............:lol3
  11. Grayghost66

Grayghost66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 To me if I really liked the look of the tank (I do!) its worth the price of the tank, used. I other words find out what the used tank is worth on Ebay etc. and that's what this bike IMHO is worth. The rest of the bike is shot at 71k offroad. See if the tank will fit on a standard XL-600-650 or XR.
  12. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it were in decent shape I'd pay 2 grand but like that no. One the other hand as an XL owner I might buy it just because it has some cool parts. That tank for one, the 41mm forks, the shock, the swingarm, the tubeless wheels, the headlight assembly etc. But even so all those parts are in rough of condition as the bike is itself. I'd pay maybe seven or eight hundred for it.
  13. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    A guy I know has an XL600LM, with paperwork to prove it was a Dakar 'client' bike at the time when the XL600R was Honda's works entry. As I understand it, you paid Honda lots of your money, rode it in the Dakar (or maybe other event), then either paid more and kept it or returned it to Honda. The returned bikes were apparently put back into normal trim and sold, which is what happened to Bill's bike.

Can't see from the photo, has it got a starter motor? If it has, it's probably a standard XL600LM (the LM being a 'leccy start version not sold in the US, so if it's a standard bike, it should have one). If it hasn't, then just maybe........

Have you posted in the XL600 thread in Thumpers? Guys there would be all over that bike!

Edit: Hmmmm, just noticed the engine is black, not red. Could have been painted, but I think all the competition bikes had red engines
  14. doc.heckle

doc.heckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes thats a standard xl600lm , I have one, it is 71000 kms not miles ! mine has 65000 kms on and still pulls like a train all for just £450 gbp
  15. reconchris

reconchris n00b

Oddometer:
    Ya it has a starter on it plus kick.

But like 90% of you have said Its beat, its used, and its not Dakar. (the kick stand is also automatic retraction so ya its one of those Canadian XLs.) The only reason I would buy it in the First place is if it was Paris to Dakar status. But for the record he HAD A BIKE THAT WAS HONDA THAT SAID PARIS DAKAR ON THE TANK! I didn't just imagine that sh$t.

I just don't know were it went.:hmmmmm
  16. jdlcruiser

jdlcruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, did you end up buying this one?

That tank, wheels, all the plastic with E-start on an RVFC...

Pretty cool.
  17. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    I can't quite make out the "DO NOT" sign on the dryer??? :ear

[​IMG]