So, Tell Me About Your Road King...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mountain Cruiser, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    You need to join Retiredpolicebikes.com and join the discussion there.

I can't speak about an FLHTP since I don't have one, but I do get quite a bit of wind noise and buffeting on the highway with my Road King police.

I don't consider it obtrusive and I'll admit I am placing form over function on that one. Not that an EG Police is a bad looking bike, but I love the Road King for it's looks.

The wind noise or lack of a fairing didn't hinder me in a 700 mile 2-day ride this weekend. And I ride with an Arai XD-3 which isn't anywhere near the quietest of helmets.

Cop bikes are the best deal in Harley tourers, but be aware the cop seat makes the bike much taller feeling and you may have to play with ergos to be happy (spoken from a 5"10" 175# smallish guy).
  2. Headless In Tacoma

Headless In Tacoma I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Oddometer:
    I have recent purchased an '02 FLHPI and I would like to upgrade the brakes. At the moment they are 100% stock and I was wondering what others have done.

I know I need to invest in some braided lines and maybe some different brake pads. I have also come across a few threads in the Harley forums that people have replaced their older road king's breaks with the VRod's Brembo brakes. If I did that I would also need to swap out my rotors from the stock to some brand of floating rotors.

Has anyone done that kind of swap out on their Road king or have you dont something completely different?
  3. 919Maniac

919Maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's my father in law's bike, but he's been letting me "borrow" it. :wink:

I've enjoyed using the bike, it has given me a different perspective on the same roads I loved on the 919. Here is a pic from yesterday when I rode down RT 9 in Delaware...

[​IMG]
  4. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Is there any reason not to buy a RK?
    Could just be the I'mdeployedanddon'twanttosleepanywayinternetsurfing
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I am moving back to the state and a long distance bike just makes too much sense.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I currently have a GSA and an HP2e my plan- pending SWMBO approval- is to sell the GSA buy a '13 RK Classic (through military sales) and have the HP2 as the enduro/twisties (w/mottard wheels) bike.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Just to be sure before I submit the special request chit- the <S>watercooled</S> twincooled is only for the Ultra Glide Limited, Tri-Glide, and CVO Limited correct?

Thanks,
    Chris<o:p></o:p>
  5. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:

Correct. Road King gets slightly upgraded air cooled engine, linked braking, beefier fork...and that's about it I think.

Faired bikes get hydraulic clutches and new sound system.

When you get back to the States, enjoy! We appreciate your service.

Cakeeater
  6. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take some of it back (but not the appreciation!). I misread your post...thought you were interested in a 2014.

The 2013 is same as my 2011 engine and frame....doesn't have the upgrades. It is a fantastic long-distance riding machine. I look for excuses to do cross-country trips on it.

Cakeeater
  7. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Cakeeater-

Thanks for the info.

Looking at the upgrades a RK (non-classic) may be worth it. Same price as a classic.

Chris
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of trading my '13 RK for a new '14 RK.

[​IMG]
  9. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there is any improvement in the suspension of the 14 Road Kings?
  10. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I have a friend that last Friday traded his '10 Road King for a '14 just like in Toads picture. Yesterday he had the 1,000 mile service done at his selling dealer. His comments are that the improved handling is what he has noticed most. His trade in had a 103 engine with Hi Comp pistons, cams, re flashed ECU and Cat removed. He says the power on his new '14 with its stock 103 engine is at least as good as was his moded 103 on his trade in.

He is very impressed with the new bike.

He plans to leave the new one completely stock it is so good.
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Toad.....they still have Black as the standard color.....:D
  12. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they have, quote from HD site

New Steering Head and Front Forks
    "We stiffened up the front end, increased the fork diameter to 49mm and added new steel ball bearings, with lubricant contained inside to keep contaminants out for durability."
  13. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I wish you guys would stop posting in this thread.

I went to the HD website and got on the payment calculator, $343.47/month financed for 48 months with 5k down.....
  14. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. Think I'd like to test drive one, I upgraded my '11 to progressives (front and rear). If the '14's suspension is as good, might consider a trade up.
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Tends to stop me in my tracks.

That's why I bought an 04 RK, for $6,600. :lol3
  16. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Lets see, if I get a '14 Road King in 2024, I'll probably save 10 grand. And I'll be 60. Not sure the numbers work for me...
  17. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a great price on an '04. I paid a bit less than $10K for mine a little year ago.

I will be replacing my brake pads this weekend with a better grade pad. With a wee bit of work I have gotten it to two-fingered braking.

I hope to change the suspension a some point in the near/distant future.

So far, I am really enjoying my RK. I commute everyday, regardless of the weather and am having a blast. This is turning out to be the most versatile bike I have ever owned....kinda like my truck on two wheels :lol3.
  18. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Is there a website that chronicles the changes to the RK over the years and the percieved benefits of those changes?
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Wiki has a nice article on HD's.

Here's an excerpt from the Touring section, which sorta answers your question

20. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Changing the fork oil in mine made a huge difference.