iPhone navigation on R1200GS (or any motorcycle)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fish36991, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Fish36991

Fish36991 Promoted from Lurker

Oddometer:
    I bought a motorcycle mount for my iPhone last week and it came in yesterday. I had also bought the G-maps navigation app for the phone so I could use the iPhone for my navigation, phone & iPod.

I played with the mount on the handlebars for a long time but couldn't get the angle correct so I switched to the windshield mount and it worked out really well...I think. The navigation works great on it so far.

This weekend, I plan to tap into the navigation power port on the front of the bike and put in a marine cigarette lighter outlet so I can power the iPhone while in use as well as any other toys I add later. Then it will just come down to getting a bluetooth helmet and I'll be all set.

I wanted to start this thread and document the progress as I go so anyone other iPhone user may save some time if they want to recreate what I'm doing.

Josh

[​IMG]
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Exact name of app??? G-map east and west?

Thanks,
  3. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    I bought the xroadsgps g-maps U.S. East. Don't need the west just yet but it seems to work really well so far. The good thing about the app is it downloads the maps to the iPhone so if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no service, it has everything it needs already instead of needing service like the google maps app.

Josh
  4. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    Oh...and the mount is from mount guys. It's the cheap one. I think I paid $16 on Amazon for it. It was a buck or two cheaper on Amazon rather than directly from their site. The mount is very sturdy and I'm actually not concerned about the phone falling out....unless the bike goes down but I will not worry about the phone anymore if that were to happen.

Josh
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    What are you going to do when it rains?
  6. gregneedham

gregneedham I seem to fall often

Oddometer:
    Great thread. More detail please. Which mount did you get and as mentioned above, what are your plans for rain? Otterbox, etc?

Do you have the phone set to stay on, or stay on when it is plugged in? Have you had to use the touch screen when riding? Have you tried having music on in the background when using the navigation software?

Thanks
  7. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    I guess just put it in the hard bag and try to navigate using road signs. Maybe a ziplock bag over it...I really don't know.

Obviously, I haven't figured everything out yet but I'll tune it in and post it on here for anyone one else

Josh
  8. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ipm127.htm This is the one I have.

I doubt I'll try an otterbox or anything like that because I don't think it will fit in the mount anymore. I'll go redneck and throw a ziplock bag over it and rubberband it down.

I haven't tested it all out yet. I can start a play list and then lauch the navigation software and it works fine using the ear buds. I don't have a bluetooth headset yet to make sure that works but I'll get one.

I tried the touchscreen a little yesterday but it's obvious that this could be a good way to kill yourself. No close calls but could be a distraction when at speed....same as any other navigation I guess. I'll certainly try to set it up before I get moving but it isn't too bad. I guess it would all be the riders call and what the are comfortable with.

When I tested it out yesterday (only about 10 miles) it stayed on so I think the nav software keeps it on. This is another reason the power from the bike is a must or it will drink the iPhone battery in no time.

Josh
  9. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    here is something i use for my itouch, it has survived the rain so far.

i just wrap the arm band around the foam bmw thing on the handle bars.

(Monster Cable iEZClick Wireless Remote for Apple iPod) ebay has them cheap.

just have to watch out for the volume going all the way up or down some times when using it. iv just started talking into my autocom to make the volume quieter till i get the volume back down.

but works pretty good.
  10. KLRTucson

KLRTucson Hey, a bright shiny thing........

Oddometer:
    There is an appon the Iphone that allows volume and speed to correspond, but I can't recall the name...the faster you go, the louder it gets and as you slow down the volume goes down.......that could help you out....if I could remember the name..
  11. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    Do you have a picture of it? Do you just put your touch in it or are you using it as a remote?

Josh
  12. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a small warning, the Monster iEZClick does not allow power passthrough - this one does: http://www.theistore.com/ijet_rf_remote_control_for_ipod_with_dock_connector

Casper
  13. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
  14. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Adaptunes" -- It works great!

15. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    Have any of you guys connected a bluetooth intercom to your iPhone yet? I'm curious of how the integration of the iPhone works with them...I'll find out soon but I would not mind buying one that someone else has already verified to work. Thanks,

Josh
  16. kmroxo

kmroxo Reno Rider

Oddometer:
    This is an excellent thread. I keep my iPhone in a Stich pocket right now for commuting and was wondering what the best way to control it was. I'm also interested in checking out the navigation apps.

I think this thread should be moved to Equipment though as it relates more to the iPhone than specifically to GSs. Besides, that way more people will be able to benefit from it I think.
  17. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    i just keep the itouch in my tank bag, controll it with the RF remote. the battery on the itouch has lasted me a long time.
  18. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    Does a mod have to move it? So far the navigation app has done really well. Definitely worth the $30 and a lot cheaper than buying a stand alone navigation system. I haven't had anyone call me while in the navigation app but I'm guessing it will switch over...I'll let you know.

Still trying to find the perfect marine cigarette lighter socket for the bike.

Josh
  19. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    How does it do for goat tracks and FS roads?
  20. Fish36991

Oddometer:
    :D Honestly, it seems pretty complete as far as maps go. I've only used it so far on my commute to work and back and Raleigh is a little light on goat/fire roads. I did notice that even the smallest gravel 'driveway' on for houses with long drives on rural roads were on there. Most don't have names obviously but they were on there.

The other thing I noticed is that even the trees/woods were visible on the navigation. While driving down Hwy 96, I could see the tree lines on the nav and they it appeared really accurate. Accurate enough that I could tell if I were to stop the bike and walk 100 yards into the woods, I would pop out at the power lines and into a field which was correct because I could see down the power line cut when I went under it.

I'll keep an eye out for the smallest road I pass that it shows.

Josh