Mlb 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by nachtflug, Feb 12, 2014.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Derek Jeter is making 2014 his last year in the majors.

Tickets for all Yankee home games are still available.

The Phillies signed AJ Burnett today for one year for 16 million.
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Cheers to Jeter, one of, if not the greatest team player in the game ever. He is just one of the classiest players I have ever had the pleasure to watch play the game. And I am genetically engineered to hate the Yankees. But credit goes to who it is due, and he is one of those players I will always remember with the fondest of memories.

I can remember the first time I saw him play at Fenway and said to the wife, holy crap, the Yankees have one of the greatest players ever. Then we got Nomar the next year, who was just as impressive while he lasted. I felt it helped balance the scale. But as the story played out, Derek kept on keeping on....and Nomar had a tough road.

I hope, even though I should not say it, that his last year is one to remember. I cannot think of another player in the game I have more respect for than number 2. God bless Derek Jeter in all that he does.

That is a lot of money for 15 games........... :D
  3. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Jeter is awesome, but fuck, if Jason Giambi hustles and slides, the A's should have won that series in 01'.

I guess I carry these things for to long. :lol3
  4. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    i keep reading people say this now that he's announced his retirement. but i don't buy it- he's as egotistical as the next superstar, just better at keeping it out of the news. for example, he wouldn't move to third when a-rod (the far superior ss) came to the yankees, as jeter had to play the premium position, even if he wasn't as good a player.

i'm a yankees fan, jeter is awesome, and a-rod is a horrible juicin' juicer. but it is what it is.
  5. shrineclown

Oddometer:

Pheh, I do not agree A-Rod was a better shortstop than Jeter. Perhaps now he may be, but not when he joined the Yank's. I know you pay attention, there is no one on the entire squad that supports his teammates like Jeter. They do something good....#2 pops up out of the dugout with an attaboy....and usually no one else.

Today, having followed him since his rookie season, he has lost a little magic from the golden glove years. That is to be expected though.

I know I would have been glad to invite onto our squad at anytime during his career.....he is special. And not in a Roseanne Rosannadanna way either.
  6. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Since I live here... the Braves will be moving to a new stadium in 2015. They will own the land and they'll own an entertainment area outside it. Bottom line, they expect their revenue to go up substantially.

So the Braves are spending that future money right now to lock up the core of very talented young team. First baseman Freddie Freeman, pitcher Julio Teheran, closer Craig Kimbrel and outfielder Jason Heyward have all signed extensions. Pretty soon superstar shortstop Andrelton Simmons will do likewise. And after him, the other young starting pitchers.

Until now the Braves have always been a thrifty team. It's exciting to see them pay to hold onto their talent for a change.
  7. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude. You need to go back and watch some games to be reminded how good arod was. It was no contest (he had just come off a MVP year, and was second the previous year), and won a couple good gloves (and deserved it, unlike jeters recent joke).

I guess I don't feel a out of the dugout high five means any more than a inside the dugout high five (and I've never really noticed jeter does one or the other more than anyone else).

And besides, who else is going to chase down your helmet after a walk off homer? A-rod, that's who. :D
  8. liquidsmile

liquidsmile Soon to be bored with the bike I am riding.

Oddometer:
    I wish we could have kept McCann. It is going to be weird seeing him in pinstripes this year.
  9. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I heard that the Braves TV deal which still has years and years to go pays them like 10 million a year. I think Magic Johnson and the group that bought the Dodgers for like 1.2 billion already made that money back by securing a multi billion dollar TV package like the Yankees have.

Good freaking luck keeping good players when AJ Burnett can get 30 million for 2 years which is his latest amount if he makes a certain amount of starts each year.
  10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they'll never be in Yankees country. But they've had to be real tightwads for years now. Players like security. If you grow your own and offer them fat extensions when they still have time left on their old contracts, both sides think it's a fair deal. The key is to not wait until the final year of their deal. Do it early and you don't have to pay Yankees money.
  11. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    Jeter held what amounted to a press conference yesterday which was basically a Q&A.

That subject was discussed and per Jeter he was never asked to play 3rd. Ever. Even now or in recent years. To say he wouldn't move to 3rd is inaccurate. He was and is the starting shortstop of the Yankees. Period.
  12. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    c'mon. if you follow the yankees enough to follow the press conference, you know jeter is very careful with what he says. so he says he was never asked to play third. that's probably 100% accurate. does that mean they didn't discuss it with him and he made his feelings clear? hell no! :lol3

edit: just read up on the press conference. for example, he could have said something very similar to what he said yesterday:
    edit2: not sure what this quote from espn means and how it was made clear:
  13. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First spring training game is a week away! Rangers @ Royals in Surprise. I'm hoping this is the year I can get away and make a canonball run to Arizona for a couple of Cactus League games. Anyone ever been?
  14. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    And the Braves lock down their phenom young shortstop for 7 years. Two more pitchers to go.
  15. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rangers having starting pitching issues, too. Harrison sent back to Texas with back stiffness. This after missing all of last season following back surgery.

The good news, Prince is looking fit and trim. :deal

[​IMG]

With the short right field in Rangers ballpark, he's well positioned to jack quite a few out. Let's hope he can capitalize.
  16. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first game is this Wednesday the 26th, Dodgers vs. D'Backs at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale. I'll be there!

Cactus League is like a month long party here in the valley, games everywhere, every day. Mix in some golf, dining and drinking, wash rinse repeat!

Get here if you can...
  17. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I was referring to the Rangers first game. :D

I'm gonna try my best to get there. We're headed east to Disney hell for spring break (the wife and I are chaperones for a high school marching band trip, doG help us). After we get back I'm going to see if a quick run is in the cards for me. I would really love to catch the Ranger-Cubs game in Surprise on the 18th.
  18. Dusty1013

Dusty1013 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I know is the Phillies are going to suck again. Do little to nothing to improve the team and expect different results, good one. Going to be a long season but looking forward to it anyway.
  19. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The boy and I have tickets and trainfare in hand for Opening Day, Nationals @ Mets. Stoked. :D
  20. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Awesome....that will be a blast for him.