Fz1 totaled or fixable

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by gtbensley, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gtbensley

gtbensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last Saturday night at 2:30 am a drunk driver slammed into a parked truck, causing a chain reaction of parked vehicles to slam into one another. Unfortunately, my 2004 fz1 was one of the parked vehicles that was involved in the accident. It was hit on the front end by the second vehicle to get hit, bending the front fairing and stay while breaking and bending the tabs that mount the headlight. The front bikini fairing will need replacing as it smashed up slightly, the stay is also bent but not badly at all. Other damage sustained was scratches on the clutch cover, crash bar, tank, and tail plastics.

Driving the bike results in a strong pulling to the right when the bars are released indicating something is out of wack.

Still waiting on the individuals insurance to claim liability for it. Long story short, the driver fled the scene on foot and the cops didn't do a great job and never found him.

I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do it from my iPad. From what I described though, I can obviously fix it myself if insurance falls through. However, if they cover it, what am I looking at for compensation. Fixing it or totaling it? It's a 2004 fz1 with 40k on the clock and a healthy amount of aftermarket parts.
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    The decision by the insurance company to fix or total is simply math: If the cost to fix exceeds 75% of the vehicle value (NADA book, usually) then they will total it.

What do YOU want to happen? That's something you should figure out now. Sometimes you can "guide" the adjuster to a decision, especially if you figure out exactly what parts need to be replaced.

Farkles are not included in value considerations. Cost to repair is based on buying new OEM parts. Smart thing to do is to make a spreadsheet of every part which needs to be fixed, and the part number and OEM new cost for each.

Also, if your bike is totaled, you usually can buy back the salvage for a couple hundred dollars. Then, you can take the money you get from the settlement and fix the bike. You will have to get a "salvage" title, which can be a little PITA, and it will make it harder for you to sell the bike, after.
  3. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards total as a front end hit concerns me. Are scratched things painted or replaced normally?
  4. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Replaced.

Nada book value for a 2004 FZ1 is about $4,300. So, if you identify about $3,200 in parts you will end up with a total.

I assume the police know the insurance company via the vehicle left at the scene. (Drunks are fucking idiots. :bluduh) unless the car was stolen, sounds like there's a party to go after.

Do you have comprehensive coverage? If you do, you should contact your insurance company. They can recoup via subrogation. At very least, they can advise you on how best to proceed.

Assuming you want to get the bike totaled, you should take it to a reputable dealer for a repair estimate. The insurance will pay for it. Don't wait for the adjuster, unless you want to be lead around by the nose by your adversary. Get in front of this.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is very likely just out of alignment. A good shop could address that in less than an hour.
  6. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    ...oh yeah: Look on the bright side-- At least the vehicle was parked! You have no fault, and more importantly, no injuries. :clap
  7. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Forks are pretty tough. But, I've had triple-trees knocked out of alignment by knock-overs before.
  8. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input. Blood, you couldn't be more right about this. While it sucked, it could have been so much worse. I was still 1000 miles from home but at least I was not hurt. The vehicle was reported stolen after the accident, but police have ruled that out as just the owner trying to cover their ass.

I do not have comprehensive, so my insurance will not help me.

Nada is $4,300? Where did you find that? I was getting $3,200 from kbb.

Is labor factored into this equation for totaling?

I will bring it to a shop and see what they say.
  9. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    In just parts, I am looking at $2,490.74 to replace everything including new forks as well as both triples and a scratched tail fairing. Without those parts, the price drops to $1219.66.
  10. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    I hope they enjoy their "filing a false police report" criminal charge. :baldy

Here you go!:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2004/Yamaha/FZ-1S-C-FZ1-998cc/Standard-Equipment

That was the "Average Retail" price. "Low Retail" is $3290.

Yup! :nod

Usually, it's a lowball amount, however.
  11. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    This is the part where you have to decide how you want to play this. If you want the bike totaled, ask the estimator at the dealer to scrutinize every little thing. Scratch on the forks? Replace them.

OTOH, if you don't want to have it totaled, tell the dealer's estimator this. At $1220, you probably won't get totaled. At $2490... hard to say.

Also, I know the FZ1 (great bike!) is Nekkid, but did the tank get scratched? Upper fairings? Headlight fairing?

My insurance adjuster once wrote off my rear brake caliper because it was scratched in a fall. Not damaged at all -- just the powercoat was worn off in a spot. I got paid for it, but I never replaced it. The consequence is that if I ever had another fall and truly broke that caliper, the insurance would not pay for it, because I didn't submit a receipt proving I ever fixed it.

WHICH REMINDS ME: Keep receipts for EVERYTHING. Towing. Estimates. Garage fees. Taxi cabs to and from. Hotels, if needed.
  12. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    I have recites for everything I have done so far.

Yes the tank and rear fairing plastic have scratches from the crash. The whole front fairing, stay, headlights, fairing inserts and hardware need to be replaced as they were crunched. Which route would you suggest? Nothing is horribly wrong with it, I can buy used parts and fix it cheap. I love the bike and don't really want it totaled because not sure what I would replace it with.

I would have a budget of $5,000 if they payed me $3000.

They still need to claim fault though so I don't want to get too zealous. Should happen Monday when they come back to work and see the new police report.
  13. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Interesting conversation. A couple months ago, my wife "totaled" her '01 SV650 in a simple at-fault tip-over. (I had a private estimate done.) We had full coverage on the bike, and they valued it at a whoppping $3600. Subtract our $500 deductable, that's $3100, and we bought it back for $1200, giving us a total payout of $1900.

Only cost me a few hundred bucks to replace broken levers, handlebar, flyscreen, and chrome gauge tidbits.

Point being... Your bike may be valued higher than you think. Or maybe my insurance provider (Farm Beaurau) is just awesome. Also, if you want the highest damage estimate, get a private one because it wan't cost you anything, even if the dealer has to tow it to do the estimate.

It may be worth considering totalling the bike and buying a new one, OR totaling the bike, buying it back, parting it out, and then buying a new one.
  14. jsalman93

jsalman93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How would you realign them.....just in case a friend of mine who knocked his bike over would be wondering :D
  15. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Loosen the lower triple tree, and bounce the suspension a bit. It will slowly realign.
  16. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro also makes an alignment tool that is stupid simple and takes the guess work out of it.
  17. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    Hopping to get it o a shop and check it out today.
  18. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    What type of damage was sustained to the sv650?
  19. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I didn't get a play-by-play from the dealer that did the estimate (possible mistake on my part). But I know that the left fork sustained a scratch, as well as the radiator, so those parts alone being replaced probably adds up to most of it.
  20. gtbensley

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's pretty minor all things considered.