Front brake light switch - where does it plug in?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mrbindc, Sep 4, 2012.

1. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Random question, the front brake light switch and wiring loom are missing on my recently acquired "as is" 1982 R65.

The two-pronged switch for this model just screws into the base of the lever, seems very straight forward.
    But where does the wiring loom plug in?

I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows the leads going off to connect through the horn, a voltmeter connector, headlight dimmer switch, turn signal relay, rear brake switch, etc..
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I don't know how it is done on the R65 specifically, but on the R-bikes I have owned, the switch picks up power in the headlight shell, and then connects to the hot wire going to the brake light (as does the rear foot brake switch). Usually "hot" wires are are green/black, and the switched (to the brake light) are green/red, iirc.

So, there is one wire that (might) hook into the board, and the other wire will have a wire-to-wire connection, not on the board.

Don't know if that helps atalll....

:D
  3. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I can't remember for sure. I think it is by the coil? By the heated grips? I am probably getting my bikes mixed up but . . . .
  4. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I need to pull off the tank again and have a look around. I was hoping to make my own wiring loom for the switch.

I'm still dealing with the coil issue too. I finally ordered a new Dana brown coil and a set of plug wires from Motorrad Elektrik today.
  5. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The old OEM grey coil was definitely cracked. Once I removed it and could inspect it up close I could see all the cracks. I put the new Dyna 1.5 on and used new plug wires too. I had an issue getting it started again but I don't think that was related to the coil. Seems to run pretty well now.

I went to Bob's today to figure out the front brake switch for the brake lever. The switch from the micro fiche didn't fit, it was way too small of a diameter to screw into the lever. I bought a different one that seems to fit but from a later model R100 with the wiring loom aready attached. It is weird because a wiring loom from the old switch is already on the bike (found it tied off under the tank) and it doesn't match this part. So I guess I can splice it all together or try to figure out how to wire it into the bike harness under the tank. I'm planning to wire up a couple test leads to make sure it works before starting any surgery on the wiring harness.

This R65 bike seems to be a true "parts bin" FrankenBeemer. :D
  6. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front switch on those bikes sold in europe should be a hydraulic one fitted in the brake line behind the head light.
  7. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only seen this on the '79-'80 R65s. As of '82, the brake hose ran direct to the caliper hard line, so there was no hydralic junction behind the headlight.

There should be a two-pin connector near the ignition coil. It took some looking, but I believe this is the correct number for your brake switch: 61 31 1 244 070.

The R65 is not a parts bin bike or Frankenstein. BMW's parts "'fiche" is a mess, and it takes patience, experience, and resourcefulness to use it.
  8. georgesgiralt

georgesgiralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello !
    I own the same bike (bought new, so I know it is in factory status...)
    The brake switch was once plugged into the brass manifold sitting between the steering and the headlight.
    For the 1981 modification, they put a very very tiny switch on the brake lever and "powered" it in the same manner the pre-1981 was wired. If IRC there is a small two wire connector in the front loom.
    The part you need (provided the previous owner has not changed the brake handlebar support) is 61 31 1 244 070 . It screws parallel to the brake cylinder right in front of the lever. Look at the fiche on RealOem and it will be obvious. This switch is fragile. Screw it by hand and put a dab of silicone grease on the tip before screwing it in... If you use too much torque, you will end up asking for a new one . How come I know ? well...
    If it does not fit for any reason, you can still go the pre-1981 route and plug a switch on the brake manifold. In this case, find a 61 31 1 244 334 switch plus the new copper gasket and bleed your brake circuit...
    I, for one, would go the lever route. No bleeding, and much easier to fit.
    The 1982 model is found on the handlebar fiche, the pre 1981 model is found on the brake line fiche.
    Hope this helps.
  9. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I first tried the part ending 070, you also need the little rubber boot for it ending in 071, but it was way to small for the lever. The diameter of the threaded hole in the lever was at least twice as big as the 070 part. I had to use a different switch from a later R100 that already had the wiring loom on it. I just bobbed off the connector so I could solder on the R65 connector that plugs into the wiring harness under the tank. It works great and this part is all metal Vs the plastic 070 part.

BTW, I meant that this particular R65 bike is a Frankenbeemer. It seems someone switched the controls at some point in the last 30 years. It also has a K75 front end on it, but the bars are still from an airhead.
  10. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    How many throttle cables are coming out of the top throttle assembly?
  11. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two
  12. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    That explains everything.
    You have the throttle control assembly from an 85-95 mono lever bike. This takes the style brake switch that the wire is already attached to. As you have already surmised, they use a larger coarser thread than the old style that was original to your bike.
    Just do some grafting on the wire ends and you're good to go.
    In the future the switch will be the one for the 1987 R65 (and others). Same goes with the throttle cables. That later switch is used on bikes from 84 (K) till almost present day.
  13. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wirewrkr! That seems about right to me.