Thoughts On The New Scrambler?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dakarboy, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    i have not seen this bike in person, but i think it would be a good city crawler and weekend escape artist. i wouldnt take it down any really technical trails but i wouldnt mind spinning it on the beach or down a good fire road or two...
    has anyone seen or ridden this thing ?

Attached Files:

2. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    Just put it out of your mind. The wankers on here have already condemned it to nothingness. Triumph is watching and it will be pulled from dealerships in the next week or so. It's underpowered, undersuspended, boring, too long, too tall, too short, got the wrong fucking engine, got the right fucking engine but the wrong fucking crankshaft, the tires suck, it's too slow, it's underpowered, the seat hurts their pussy, it's underpowered. Did I mention that it's underpowered? Because it is, the experts on advrider have reviewed it and found it wanting. So just put it out of your mind, alright? Forget it ever happened. This bike does not exist.
  3. Uselyss? XB12X

Uselyss? XB12X On The Third Coast

Oddometer:
    FINALLY...someone with some sense!!:lol3

Get a Buell Ulysses, EVERYONE agrees it is GREAT!:uhhuh :turkish :lol3
  4. danger_dave

danger_dave That's me

Oddometer:
    It's all been pretty well covered in 2 recent threads - go back a few pages.
  5. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw your V-Strom rant. A little excess bile tonight?
  6. lonewolfalpacas

lonewolfalpacas n00b

Oddometer:
    Below I've listed some videos and reviews I have found....

It's a new Bike facing some review stutters....with reviewers trying to "fit" it into their idea of what it should be.....but most like it, wished it had a bigger engine...yet it has the Speedmaster plant and yet no one seems to complain about that model....hmmmmm

as for actual owner reviews from the little riding done to date....they like the torque, smooth power band and ergos.....it's grins and giggles....high fun factor...

I have two set to buy (blue and red - his and hers) at a good negotiated price. They will be used exactly as intended...two lane paved twisties, with spur of the moment turn offs onto on gravel, dirt and forest roads, farm fields and light stream crossings...

Most of us grew up doing that (and worse) on bikes far less suitable than the scrambler...

My best description of it is it is a "Non-Specialized" Bike..i.e. an original, they way they used to be and good enough for a bit of everything. So perfect for hitting the local fishing hole, beach (if yer near one), tooting around the old estate....

And still gettin you there in style. In the cool factor category the Scrambler is fly.

Will it do the Dakar? you'll never know cause I doubt anyone will try...
    Will it do the Trans-American? It better cause I plan to do it next year on the Scrambler.

I have found two scrambler videos. If there are more, please post them..

look at this one first...stock pipes...very little riding:

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/downloads/video/Triumph_scrambler_900.wmv
    then one with performance pipes from NZ:

scroll down to scrambler movie

http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/sales/Scrambler/scramblermufflers.htm

Danger Dave's review is good: see

http://www.amps.co.nz/scrambler/pages/1.htm

Finally for a running list of Magazine/articles: go to:

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/triumph.html

also see April's issue of Motorcyclist

The Big Boo
  7. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post and links, lwa. Makes me want one.
  8. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to try one. Probably the best looking retro bike I have seen to date. Everyone in the world is not interested in 175 hp or 210MPH either. I think they will do well with this machine. Kodos to Triumph for having the intestinal fortitude to give some a different choice in a bike, other than a rocket ship. I guess we are not all astronauts after all.

Japanese tried for years to change everyones mind in the type of bike we wanted. They failed and started making Harley clones as fast as they could. I remember very fondly when biking was something other than a speed race. Hope to try one of these puppies soon.
  9. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:

Very nicely put! :clap Too many people tend to judge bikes and the experiance based on the "numbers" or the ragged edge of what a bike can do. I know a guy who bought a sport tourer,,,, did all the research and the final item that weighed into his choice was the bikes top end speed. WTF? Too many of us need to lighten up and enjoy motorcycling for what it is, freedom. We need to find our innner child and get out and live for the experiance.
  10. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    is that not the same shit said about the klr upon its introduction? that one does not count, it was just floating over the plate.
    :deal

seriously, i think anybike that doesnt look like an idea of what it is supposed to be, even if it does not fulfill that role will be systematically brow beaten. then a select few people will own, ride, destroy, rebuild, break, fix, love, hate and diseminate all about it until the riding community as a whole has to accept it as functional. then and only then will it become respectable to own. own one before then and your frugal and wee bit of a wanker that probably jacks off too much.:wink:
  11. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    amen brother, everytime it is time to get a new bike i always look real hard at the guzzis and trumpets. i never get one and i always scratch my head and wonder why. but i might be in the market for a good two up platform and it might be this or the quota...
  12. Happnin

Happnin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed it does. It's in my garage. It's a very fine piece of gear and I'm having the time of my life riding it. Bully!
  13. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    very cool bike~!
  14. Motor

Motor Poet Lariat

Oddometer:
    To actually answer your question, yes I have ridden the scrambler. Test rode it at Daytona last month.
    Looks great
    sounds great
    Now for reality, it is slow-no torque, heavy in the front end and to be totaly blunt it reminds me of the 1979 CB750F super sport in my garage. same feel going into the corners and same power. My DRZ400s would kick it's ass any where any time.
    All that said, I'm considering buying one insted of paying 5 to 7 K for an old school Bonni. I don't have a British bike and I want one so one way or another it is bound to happen.
  15. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see...if I was 6" shorter, a hundred pounds lighter, rode solo, & didn't mind paying over 8K for a 50 yr old new bike I'm sure it would be the ticket! :lol3

They are nostalgic, and do look great IMO but are just not suited to our needs. Congrats to those that own and like them though, I'm sure the bikes are great for those they fit.

Now if Yamaha would build a '84 IT490 I'd be all over it! An updated '79 CBX, or '89 Pacific Coast from Honda would be great too. Until then I'll suffer with the GS...:D
  16. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bottom Line .....It is just cool. :D
  17. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    I think they are vary cool bikes. But then again a buddy of mine rides a Ural and i think thats a sweet bike too and i want a Royal Enfield. So i might just be crazy...:D
  18. cam_roger

cam_roger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my book any bike that does not fall into the category of "crotch rocket" or "cruiser" is a wonderful thing. I don't like getting force fed anything and I don't care to ride a cruiser or a sport bike. I've ridden all types of bikes and loved them all. I think it's a beautiful bike, I've rode a few Bonneville's, old and new, and thought they were all very nice bikes and I'm sure this is too.

now, I ride a KLR so...:rofl