User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
originalspacerob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thank you,
Congrats on your bike also Jeverettes. It will take a bit to get used to it. Plus I still want to go through a few things and lube some stuff up.
I synched the carbs and it made it run much better. It pulls really strong. At about 40 mph I can stay in 3rd gear and it doesn't vibrate much at all. Rev's by ear seem like a good rev for the motor staying in 3rd. I don't think I would need fourth until I hid 45 to 50 mph. I notice that the idle hangs a bit and the starting is kinda hard so I am going to work on the pilot jets just for the fun of it and see if I can make it settle back to idle faster. I think that is why I get a clunk when shifting from first to second. I still get a little grind going into reverse. If it doesn't work 'll just put them back to 1.25 turns like they were set.
The condition s pretty nice. iI does look new, there is some minor surface rust here and there but rubbing compound actually removed it with one swipe. The Cast iron cylinders have some slight rust but that can be taken care of at some point. its on the top where water sits when its washed or sitting out in the rain.
I am a little leery of the alternator with all the issues so I may look at getting a denso at some point. I want to sort out a few more things before I spend another $500. The alternator seems fine fo far so hopefully I am good for a little bit.
I am sure I'll notice more things as I ride it more. Its great to have a forum like this for such great information. I have been lurking on Soviet steeds also, as well as reading through some of the sidecar literature.
originalspacerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalspacerob View Post
I am a little leery of the alternator with all the issues so I may look at getting a denso at some point.
It's obviously your choice but like I said before,I wouldn't waste good money on a ND alternator.

The L424 that I put on my 650 a couple of years ago with a solid state regulator is doing just fine and it cost less than half of the ND price.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #33
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Congrats on the outfit!

How many RC planes will fit in the chair?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #34
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,561
Like everyone else said, beware of the 35A alternator like yours. Some have run for many kilometers without a problem, others barely made it out of the dealership parking lot.

I feel the busted crank problems probably stem from unbalance carbs.
The procedure for setting idle and balancing carbs is here: https://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/maintenance
Looks like you have CV carbs. The procedure is the same as the ones listed in the link. You just have to equate the air/mixture screw under the carb intake and the cable stop screw with the corresponding parts on the other carbs.
You cannot rely on just eyeballin' or measuring butterfly openings with drill bits for final settings.

The biggest problem I've had with my 650 is keeping perfect electrical connections to keep it sparking. I did away with the alternator altogether and went to a total loss system. Most recently, about six months ago, the inboard cylinder broke. It just cracked around the whole circumference and was just flopping around while still running!
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #35
originalspacerob OP
Adventurer

Thank you gspell68. I am looking at getting a Denso alternator soon. Lots have recommended the L424 but I think I would like to have the extra wattage for heated clothing and accessories. Any recommendations on the best place to get the denso? I contacted Holopaw tonight to see if they had any or could order them.
I synched my cards with just a carbtune, made a big difference. I had never seen the type of carb synch that you sent a link to. It will be interesting to try and see how much different it might be. Did you notice any difference from just balancing them vs balancing the cylinder output? I have to agree that the carb balance would probably contribute a lot to a damaged crank especially on an engine like the Ural. I have been making sure I dont lug it as best as I can. So far so good.

So far I have only put about 250km on the Ural. Spent some time lubing electrical connections and replacing fuses. Also lubed drive shaft and such. Just going through things and getting acquainted and making sure things are good before I get too far from home. I already found the wrong bulbs were in the sidecar turn signal and brake light and was causing intermittent connections and blow fuses. Those were replaced and dielectric greased and working. Somehow the battery holder was also missing. That was easily fixed by fabricating one from rubber bunji cord and some loops on the end. These are the little things I'm ooking over before I start to put on more miles.
My wife and I took a nice ride Saturday to pick up her car at my work and she had a great time and was really comfy. She was a bit cold so a blanket will accompany us next time. The handling does take a little to get used to. I have driven it with no weight in the sidecar and am getting used to turning speed. I just have to keep reminding myself that I cant lean and Im good. I have ben pretty good with being conscious I have a sidecar there and not take corners to close to the curb or too far by over compensating.
I did find that the Ural does not mind the highway as long as I dont push it too much and hills can slow you pretty good. I also found my reserve doesn't work when I ran out of gas on the highway. I reached down to turn on reserve and nothing. Tank was dry. It was not in the reserve position either while riding, it was in the ON position. Luckily my wife was following me after I took her to pick up her car. I need to look and see if the reserve tube is missing. That was an interesting surprise. Better to find out now than farther away from home.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #36
originalspacerob OP
Adventurer

Ordered the very expensive alternator last night. Ordered it from Ural of NE which is not very far from me. Since Ill have a more wattage I'm probably going to wire some power distribution in sidecar for phone charging and the like. I also want to put some Hella lights on the Hack for night riding. I have a set on my car that works great.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
If the wife is getting cold, wire an SAE in there and get a heated blanket. She will appreciate it
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #38
jeveretts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Hope it is going well with the bike OP. I just sold my 650 and bought a 2011. I had no idea there was so much difference between them.
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #39
originalspacerob OP
Adventurer

Things are going pretty good so far. I installed the Denso and that went well. With the higher wattage the alternator light goes out right away. i have two oil leaks I want to fix. One is fixed which was the Clutch slider oring. i was able to get ome from Ace hardware. The other leak is the timing gear cover at the bottom near the oil filter.
i have not ridden it much do to building a 20x12 shed for the bikes and other items. I have been tinkering on it here and there.
i got the materials to Herculine inside the sidecar rig to protect the inside. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. i also got a power outlet for the sidecar that has usb and a cigarette lighter. i got another similar for the bike so I can use my GPS and such. Another cool item was picking up a heated blanket for the wife. Thank you very much for the suggestion.
One last thing to do for piece of mind is going to be pulling the final drive off and lubing the splines. they look pretty dry and I don't want to start putting more miles on it like that. I am looking forward to riding it again soon as I take care of those few items and finish my shed.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #40
originalspacerob OP
Adventurer

Jeveretts what made you decide to sell your 650? Looks like you had it set up pretty well. From reading it appears the newer ones are much better.
Old Today, 02:41 PM   #41
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalspacerob View Post
. With the higher wattage the alternator light goes out right away.
The wattage is nothing to do with how quickly the warning lamp goes out,but I'm glad you're happy.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote