Fuel Stabilizer Storage.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scooteraug02, Jan 10, 2013.

1. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Was reading Rider magazine. A guy wrote in he was having problems with his Concours after storage.

Andy said conventional Stabilizers and old fuel are hard on the spark plugs. It makes them charcoal black and foul.
    The plugs will idle but have a hard time performing above idle.

He said his local BMW dealership introduced him to Star Tron. http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
    "BMW fuel injection pumps were dying at an alarming rate if left to sit in old gas for more than 90 days, so the Beemer boys did their online homework and ordered a case of Star Tron....Now all the big automotive chain stores hav it on the shelf, including WalMart."

He says Star Tron has naturally occurring enzymes that can stabilize fuel for 2 years. It is a fuel and can't overdose your tank. Helps handle ethanol.

[​IMG]

I just put some Stabil in my bikes. I don't know if this is a subliminal advertisement or if the stuff is any good.

Has anyone had luck with this stuff?
  2. jd2577

jd2577 The Boy Ruger

Oddometer:
    Like you, I have always used Stabil in my motorcycles and ATV. So far so good but, up until this year, everything's been carburated. The new to me Beemer is the first fuel injected toy that I've owned. Stabil claims to work with both systems. Guess I'll find out for sure in the spring.
  3. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    Within the past year I added this to the fuel in a carbureted motorcycle I rarely ride now that I have my GS. I can let the bike sit for 6 months, and coupled with a solar trickle-charger, it starts and runs like it did when it was my regular commuter.

:thumbup
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I ride mine enought that I dont need to store it. But if your bike has the onboard computer and the associated fuel strip, I would be afraid to use ANY fuel additive. I use to run marvel oil in my fuel, but after 3 fuel strips I dont put anything but gas in my gas tank. Just sayin
  5. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    My dealer recommended BMW Techron after my fuel strip was replaced.

[​IMG]
  6. rboett

rboett posser noob 205 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't to turn this into a failed fuel strip thread,:lol3 ,,or an ethanol / clogged fuel injector thread :clap,,, but I think a combination of ethanol and regular stabil was responsible for clogging my fuel injectors, then researching the crap out of the issue (on ADVrider and other sites) ,, I did switch to startron for storage ,, not long after my fuel strip went out,may be coincidence, BUT, after a two tank fulls of non treated gas, the fuel strip started to work again. MY personal belief is that there are a two problems happening with the fuel strips, the connections in them break for some reason,, the other is some kind of bad ethanol / fuel treatment or gas related combo . Dunno. Do some searches on ethanol and phase separation :eek1

I think the best bet is to fill up with a non ethanol fuel if you are just storing for a couple months , find some here http://pure-gas.org/

My $.02

edit: oh yeah,, use Chevron gas with Techron, or buy techron every couple tanks too, does not seem to harm the strip and does clean the injectors

nother edit: If you use Stabil, look for the Marine stabil, or the one that indicates that it is specially formulated for ethanol fuels
  7. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll go with that.

I talked to a local Marine repair shop and they liked and supported Star Tron. They said there was a world of difference between Star Tron and Stabil... on fighting / cleaning varnish etc. inside the carb. So far I've used Star Tron for about two years now and 'knock on wood' haven't had an issue.
  8. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    i've been using startron for a couple of years with great success. i have several chainsaws, a generator, a large 2 stroke boat engine, 4 stroke boat engine, a seldom used trials bike etc etc & since switching have had no further issues with carbs gumming up or poor running after sitting for extended periods. good stuff:clap
  9. RAL88

RAL88 Marineboy

Oddometer:
    I've been using Startron for about 8 years now. 6 of those years was in an unheated garage and it would regularly get down into the twenties in the winter. Before that I used Marine Stabil.

I have had no issues with Startron and the bikes run great and start right up after sitting for a while. I use it on a regular basis as it is suppose keep things from gumming up.

They now make a small 1 ounce bottle which I keep on the bikes so when I am out I can add it.
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding motorcycles a long time. approaching 50 years. I've never used any type of fuel stabilizer.
    all my bike sit at least december thru march...some longer some year maybe a bit shorter.

I just fill up the tank to limit condensation, and in the last 15 years or so put the bike on a battery tender. the bikes always start...some times need a bit or ether in the spring t make firing up easier.

It get cold here in Vermont
  11. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I've never used anything in any of my gas powered anything. I do drain the carbs on everything when I put it away though. I turn the gas off on my airhead at the end of my street and then dump the bowls every time I ride it. Same with my mower, I installed an in-line valve and run it dry too. if I use a two stroke tool, like my chain saw, I dump the leftover fuel out and run it dry. So far, So good.

I know i just jinxed myself... going out now to find some wood to knock on.
  12. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!

i started riding in the mid-sixties and like you never had a problem until ethanol reared it's ugly head!! startron seems to keep it's effects to nil for me.
  13. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    That tech guy who writes for Rider is a blithering boob. EVERY MONTH he gives shitfull advice based on less motorcycle knowledge than the average lawnmower mechanic. Sta-Bil works fine and does not foul plugs. I've stored stuff two years, starts right up like I shut it down last week. Startron is fine, but not the magic eliexer that the hucksters claim. It's fuel stabilizer.
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    VT fuel must be some good stuff...........No protection.........You are one lucky guy:D................fuel related problems are the largest reason for repairs in the small engine, outboard and motorcycle industry. It was that way 30 years ago........but now it is much larger problem and a cash cow for the shop:clap:clap

Think your ether fix is a cure for the small amount of fuel in the carb is no longer volatile. Best practice is drain the float bowl even with Stabil or other products in the tank.
  15. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

+1, the rep from Startron must be sucking this guy's dick. I'm sure it works fine as a stabilizer, but guess what? So do Stabil and Sea Foam and they won't foul your plugs. You know what fouls plugs? Trying to start a Concours with dirty ass nasty gummed up carbs because the owner didn't DRAIN them before storage. Fuel stabilizer doesn't keep the fuel in the bowls from evoporating and leaving fuel residue behind!
  16. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    ^ This. :nod
  17. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    Precisely. Ethanol is hygroscopic, and the consequences of including water in your fuel systelm can be everything from annoying to catestrophic.

Ethanol in our motor fuel is the consequence of an extremely potent farm lobby, that, never content with big scoops of subsidy, has managed to pull off a spectacular fraud on the public with a great deal of help from Congress in the finest tradition of bipartisan cooperation. Too bad. The manufacture of ethanol consumes more fossil fuel than it replaces.

And if fux up our bikes, boats, lawnmowers, and cuball's chainsaw. Not that cueball uses his chainsaw very much.

"Shitfull advice" is indellibly added to my lexicon.

It's amazing that I've received a shitload of it -- and, perhaps, provided some myself -- w/o having an apt name for it.

Thanks! :clap
  18. evanphoto

evanphoto May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer:
    he said use the stuff, it is awesome. my .3 cents