Cam Newton breaks Manning's record

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheVikingRider, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TheVikingRider

TheVikingRider mudonmymind

Oddometer:
    Cam Newton threw for 422 yards. The most of any rookies debut in NFL history!

The previous record was set by Peyton Manning with 302 yards.

GO PANTHERS!

:hide
  2. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Yep - luckily, he's got some excellent receivers to throw to since a lot of his throws were clearly off the mark. Having said that, he didn't revert to the run as rookie QB's tend to do and he maintained his composure most of the time.

He got one or two favorable calls from the refs also...and the Cardinals got very, very lucky. Poor special team play on the punt return helped their cause tremendously.

Having said that, I saw the same thing that I saw when he was at Auburn. The kid is a gamer - he comes to play, his teammates are behind him 100% and if he doesn't get injured, he'll have a great career. Fuck the naysayers - he'll do well.

(Disclaimer: The above statements are from an Auburn '85 grad.)
  3. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Oh, Peyton also threw three interception is his rookie debut.

I hope Peyton's not done - clearly, one of the best QB's ever. Period.
  4. BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope Newton gets his arse handed to him in the NFL. For every ounce of talent, there's 5 lbs. of cocky, arrogant, jerk.
  5. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Le'ts hope that your misery only grows. :lol3

You have read what his teammates have said about him, right? Seems they would know his nature slightly better than you. Wonder where the disconnect between your comments and their comments might be?
  6. TheVikingRider

Oddometer:
    Your just old and fat.

7. TheVikingRider

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, Tom Bradey has never thrown for 422 yards in his whole career.

Cam did it in his first game. :clap:wings:rilla:super:queenie
  8. WaterWheel

WaterWheel Multi Talentless

Oddometer:
    Let's not give him his bronze sculpture in Canton just yet.
  9. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two words.

Dan Marino
    Human Ills likes this.
  10. BarkSlayer

Oddometer:
    The truth is...I am neither.

My beef with Newton is the way he handled himself during the "pay for play" scandal involving his idiot father.

ESPN News - Updated Nov 11, 2010 2:08 PM ET

Auburn star Cam Newton and his father said in separate phone conversations that schools recruiting the quarterback would have to come up with money beyond a scholarship to secure his services, according to an ESPN report.

[​IMG] CAM NEWTON SCANDAL

Looking for all the breaking news and updates on the Newton recruiting scandal? We've got it all here.

ESPN on Tuesday cited “two sources who recruit for Mississippi State,” and said that the school’s compliance officials reported the conversations to compliance officials for the Southeastern Conference in January, according to “two other sources close to the football program.”
    Reached late Tuesday night by phone, Cecil Newton Sr., told FOXSports.com that he had no comment.
    “I’m not going to confirm nor deny nothing that has been taking place,” Cecil Newton said.
    Asked if he had seen the report, the elder Newton said that he knew “nothing about this whole thing.”
    “I’ve answered what I need to answer,” Cecil Newton said. “If they’re out there, go with it and make the decision or determination based on whatever you’ve got to say.”
    He described all of the recent allegations involving his son as “a witch hunt.”
    “They can continue doing whatever they’re doing, sir,” said Cecil Newton, who added, “I’m just in support of my son.”
    Before Cam Newton, widely considered the current front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, committed to Auburn, one of the Mississippi State recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take “more than a scholarship” to land his son, ESPN said. The recruiter said the school would not be willing to do that.

I'm from the old school that still believes college sports is about shaping young men and women, developing character and providing valuable life lessons. To Cam Newton, it was little more than the fastlane to payday. Just my observation.
  11. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    :poser

Wake the fuck up. The NCAA is the only developmental league available for prospective football and basketball players, and academics has sweet fuck all to do with the running of that business. The indignation of fans and media over the actions of boosters, players, and families is absolutely laughable. This shit has been going on for decades, and will continue so long as there is huge money involved (read: perpetuity).

I'll buy your argument for baseball and hockey, since players have legitimate options other than college if they only want to pursue the sport, and not an education.
  12. BarkSlayer

Oddometer:
    I'm wide awake, thank you, and plenty wise to the ways of collegiate athletics. My daughter was the starting center defensive back in a NCAA D-1 varsity soccer program at a major Big Ten university. Her experience was invaluable - for all of the right reasons - and the world-class education she received during those four years is paying off rather well for her in medical school, where she is currently - preparing to become a heart surgeon. Please don't tell me what college athetics is and is not, sir. For every Cam Newton, there are thousands of hard-working collegiate athletes who bust their tails on and off the field of play, AND in the classroom, preparing themselves for a better future - the old fashioned way. Those are the real heros of college sports.
  13. TheVikingRider

Oddometer:
    People are always quick to blame it on 20 year old kids.

The schools, recruiters, and the media are the ones who should be ashamed. They fuel all of this bs.

Even if his pop did what they said he did , how is it Cams fault? With all the pressure he did great. Did nothing but win.

The situation definitely "developed character and provided valuable life lessons"
  14. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    Cool. An indignant post about football scandal from the land of Ohio State. :rofl
  15. TheVikingRider

Oddometer:

:lol3
  16. TheVikingRider

Oddometer:
    The $ generated by players like Cam make it possible for players like your daughter to have a field to play on and equipment to use. Womens soccer dosent even generate enough $ to pay for their own programs.
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Two words - prove it.

And then I'll be happy to join you! So far, from every account, Cam took the opportunity presented to him at the jr.college level and at Auburn and made the best of it.

Have you ever seen anyone who handled the pressure thrown at him as well as he did last year? To win at that level in the face of that kind of pressure was a better test that the Cardinal's defensive line yesterday.
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Fuck Ohio State....and Woody Hayes and Tassel Tattoo Tressel. :clap
  19. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :poser

The NCAA and boosters made him buy a stolen laptop? How about turning in a paper that wasn't his? His year at Auburn wasn't his complete college career. There's a reason he left UF without a fight...:deal
  20. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    So? What's your point? I had a classmate and friend at Auburn who played middle linebacker, went on to play a bit with the Steelers and is now a orthopedic surgeon.

While your daughter has given you every reason to be proud, she's not the only one to be a successful student-athletes. You sound more than a little jealous and bitter.

Name one thing that Cam did wrong at Auburn and provide more than a link to back it up. That might be proven some day - but again, right now, all you hve are allegations by a Miss State guy who had more to gain by making the allegations.

Oh - and Auburn beat Miss State again this past weekend.