What's your thoughts on a early RD350

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by bloodandmotoroil, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bloodandmotoroil

bloodandmotoroil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm getting a Early 70's yam RD350 twin from a friend of mine, he's owned it since new , it has the DG starburst
    head and DG pipes, and it's been kept in great condition.

just wondering if any of you have any thoughts or opinions of these early 2 strokes ? i hear they corner like a dream
    and do pretty good on the straits for their size.
  2. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    First off were are you... in the UK?

I had an RD350LC many moons ago, in fact it waz my second bike after a Yamaha 100, It scared the shit out of me the first time i rode it, i remember thinking i had made a big mistake buying the thing, but after a week or two i freaking loved that bike.
    It was fast, to fast for my second bike, I wish i could give you in-put on the breaks and suspension but it was a long time ago...I tell ya what thu, I would buy it in a hart beat.

Freaking gorgeous. :tb
    [​IMG]
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They corner like a frame flexing nightmare and are possessed by demons.

Had one when I was 16 years old. I want one again BAD!!!
  4. bloodandmotoroil

Oddometer:
    i'm getting it for $600. it has a little cowl on it with a short windshield, looks a lot like cafe racer , and that odd starburd dg head makes it look like a early bultaco . she sounds evil though.

i'll post pics after i get her.
  5. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I waz 17 when i got mine. :wink:

Edit: I remember I waz dating a girl and completely forgot when i brought that bike, all i wanted to do waz ride the thing...3 weeks later someone told me she had broken up with me... I remember thinking "Who?"
    psycho klr likes this.
  6. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If clean, the heads and pipes are worth more than you're payng for the bike.
  7. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    I know if your riding a Triumph TR6C dont fuck with a 130 lb punk ass 16 year old on one. By the way, I wasnt the 130 lb punk ass 16 year old. I dont know how it cornered, he was too far ahead of me for me to see. I dont remember it being too much of a slouch in the corners though.
  8. bloodandmotoroil

Oddometer:
    that's what i hear.

man i've been stuck with two strokes all my life, only had on 4 stroke, a 96 honda shadow 1100, and it was nice.. but
    it didn't feel like the bikes i was used to.. i'm used to the trottle being an on button. lol.

course my first bike was a twostroke.. though not a mean one.. a 45 harley 125cc hummer, it was heavy and slow and safe for a 12 year old. i still have her , she's in my living room in parts on my entertainment center, her frame is holding books and wine bottles and her wheels are bolted to my lay-z-boy so it rolls around. but i could have her running and back on the
    road before tomarrow.

i think that little Rd350 will be good for me. and i can't pass it up at that price.
  9. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a brand spanking new 79 RD400f Daytona Special. God I wish I still had that one...
    My second bike was a brand spanking new 82 RD350lc. Damn I wish I still had that one...
    I guess what I'm saying is I've had a lot of different bikes but the only ones I regret selling were my two strokes.

BUY IT!
    There are very few bikes that will return the number of smiles a 2t will give you. Plus it will teach you some wrenching and riding skills. (pretty flexy frame compared to todays rides but for the power it is ok).

By the way, here's the grandson to the one you're looking at (bout 30 more hp!).
    There are lots more photos of terrific RD's available in the 'two stroke' section of this forum if you need any more opinions.

Best of luck! You'll be riding on one wheel! hehehe

(click on the pic to enlarge.)

[​IMG]
  10. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Damn!
    Half the dealership came into my office wondering what the hell I was laughing at...
  11. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

I started riding a 4 stroke mini bike in 69 and by 1972 I had graduated to a 2 stroke Bridgstone mountain 90, wasnt real fast, maybe run 53 or 54 mph, went to a Bridgestone 90 sport, worked my way up through a couple more Bridgestone 90's and a 100, then went to a Bridgestone dual twin 175, had either a 4 down rotary 4 sp transmission with neutral at the end or 5 speed. I rode a 350 Honda and thought, shit this things a dog. 2 strokes rule. I havent owned one since the late 70's, but I'd jump on a nice RD or just about any other mid size 2 stroke in a heartbeat.
  12. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    You don't want that POS, nothing but trouble. Since you are a fellow ADVrider just PM me and I'll take it off your hands for $800.

You don't need to thank me... :1drink
  13. bloodandmotoroil

Oddometer:

i think not.

and besides.. i like trouble.. keeps ya on your feet. lol
  14. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    I missed out on two strokes back in the day, so I bought one last fall.
    I'm in LOVE. Mine is just an R5, but I see an RZ350 in my future.:evil
  15. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had an early rd . An aircooled 1970 i think.
    It was a VERY fun bike for the time.
    Seemed like it had out of this world power .In reality it only had 40 -50 hp and topped out at 95 mph .
    I saw one at a show recently and couldnt get over how small it was .It didnt seem small when I was young kid.
    After riding todays fast bikes I dont think a ride on the little rd would excite me.
  16. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    A buddy of mine and myself both bought one just out of high school circa 1972. We were in to the So Cal moto cross scene and promptly tore them down, ported the shit out of them and just tweakes to the max. Screaming great fun. The most fun I can remember on a bike. The chicks just loved it as well. I would love another just to have in the garage and play with.
  17. hateithere

hateithere anytime now

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you're used to,most of the speed may be attributed to nostalgia (I have 10 of them)Great bikes but pretty underwhelming.just my opinion. The DG heads are worth a few bucks.
  18. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had a series of bridgestones also. started with a 90 sport then a 200 my last one was a 350gtr. was ahead of it's time and a shame they quit making them. wrenched on them for a local dealer for a while in my teens.
    to the op buy the yamaha and don't look back. it's a deal.
  19. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

If speed and power is your deal, it probably aint for you. For me, I left a KZ 750 for a Honda V twin, from that to a GL 1800 and now on a KLR. Speed and horsepower is fun for a little while but I really prefer a bike I can wail on and not garner too much attention. I'd be perfectly fine on an Enfield.
  20. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im 56 and fast bikes still give me a woody:D.!