Snow Levels, WA

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by kclark, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    Rode out past Greenwater on 410. Was going to do the route mapped out in the picture below. It didn't happen.

[​IMG]

On FS 75 I ran across snow at 3,070 Ft. The snow was shoulder to shoulder (no way around) atleast a foot deep. The snow was in the shadowed corners of the road.

Tried the route from FS 73 and came across snow at 2,373 Ft. Same as above, depth approx a foot deep and no way around it.

Figured I would let every one know incase anyone was thinking of riding those roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Steven

Steven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up the snow level. In the past it has been late June or early July before those roads were passable.
  3. deej

deej Deej (Deric)

Oddometer:
    On Friday the 13th I tried to get across FS 29 to the Mary Clark Road, and got as far as 2500ft and ran into this.

[​IMG]

I wore myself out trying to get through it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. frdbronco8

frdbronco8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks big time for the updates, keep em comin! This is the tough time of year when it feels like you should be able to go riding but you can't get very far.
  5. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on FS 23 and is it passable? Wanting to check out Dennie Ahl Lookout, Skokomish High Steel Bridge, and Dusk Point.
  6. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have 23 blocked off at the Rat Trap[2700] cut off. We got stopped by downed trees on the south side and a slide on the north side of RT Pass two week ends ago.
  7. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Kelvey,

I think he's talking about Olympic NF 23. Why the FS doesn't differentiate road numbers per forest, Who knows?

@KClark, I would guess you could get to the steel bridge, it's pretty low, but I haven't been; the south sound group would know.
  8. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be why I couldn't find FS 29 either. Need to get out more, eh.:huh
  9. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was stopped by snow saturday (4-21-12) about a 1/2 mile before Spider Lake. Dennie Ahl and the Steel bridge are clear. I wasn't able to make it over Dusk Peak until the middle of July last year. Hopefully earlier this year.
  10. kclark

kclark 1SevenZero

Oddometer:
    I was talking about the Olympic NF. Sorry I didn't make that very obvious.

So I guess to prevent future confusion we should list which forest the roads are in. I personally didn't realize they repeated numbers (shows how much I pay attention), I figured the numbering system was continous.

LoFlow - thanks for the input, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
  11. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gifford Pinchot has a nice #23 that goes from White Salmon to Randle, nice road too, so that makes at least 3 of them.
  12. GarageMonkey

GarageMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    High Steel Bridge has been open for at least a few weeks now. :1drink
  14. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    We have been on the west side of cascades today (no pictures) but in the general area between I90 and Hwy2 west side, we were blocked by snow at the following levels:

Block1 - 2060 ft above sea (slushy, about 1 foot deep - have been going in truck tracks for about 0.5 miles, south-east facing road )

Block2 - 1862 ft above sea (only about 5 inches, but very muddy underneath, soft a lot of back tire spinning - east facing road but a lot of shade due to deep hills around)

Block 3 - 1965 ft above sea (combination of snow and downed threes)

So it seems the snow level keeps pretty low - on top of that about 500 ft above us it seemed the rain on 4/25 and 4/26 was actual snow as the tees had a fresh white cover
  15. dukegnarley

dukegnarley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any snow info for the cascades? I'm hoping to ride from Greenwater to Lake Easton in a few weeks.:freaky
  16. Steven

Steven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normally, it is late June or early July before that route is passable. Last Friday the snow level was about 3,500 in that area.
  17. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On June 1, a few of us want to do a big fs road loop out of Foggy Dew: Head up to Twisp River Rd, then south on E. Buttermilk Rd, to 4330, to 8200 (Gold Creek Rd) into Manson for fuel.

Then up over 8210, to Copper Mtn Rd, to 4010 (Black Canyon Rd) , to Pateros for fuel again, then 153 back to Foggy Dew.

I've done it before but it was in late July. What are the chances of getting snowed blocked on that route June 1 or 2?
  18. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I think fairly high - we called the Okanogan FS and were told that as of this weekend they told us most of the higher roads (including 8210) are rideable - via snowmobiles only :rofl :cry
  19. Steven

Steven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode several roads in the Greenwater area this afternoon. The snow level on FS70 and FS7030 is about 4,000 feet.
    The snow level on FS72 riding up from FS70 is about 3,500 feet. We up made it up to 4,400 feet on FS7010.

[​IMG]
    Snow on FS70 at 4,000 feet.
  20. wannatard

wannatard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all things snow related I use THIS NOAA LINK. Just be sure to set the data fields on the left to display the information you want to see.