Things Dealers tell Customers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak_diane, Aug 16, 2012.

1. ak_diane

ak_diane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I broke down and purchased a new motorcycle this year (actually it was my first new vehicle purchase ever) and was thinking about stupid things I was told by the dealer.

When I got the bike I asked where the tools were: "Oh those Disney tool kits, don't need those things anymore."

"If you don't like the KLR try the Verys, it's a more street oriented DUAL SPORT"

"The Vstrom is good but you should really take a seat on the Ducati, it's a 100 pounds lighter - great off road bike!"

Anyone else got some good lines to share?
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only imagine which shop.....:lol3

I went in once to looking for a KN filter as KN listed this shop as a dealer. I was told by the rep " this is a BMW shop". :huh
  3. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the last year for "whatever bike your interested in".
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Dealer - "Yeah...we've got that tube in stock, come on down"

.....30 minute drive later....

Dealer - "well, its not exactly what you asked for on the phone, but it'll stretch". :huh

I called the local KTM dealer, so see if they could mount some tires I had purchased, as I was going to be out of town on business, and would not have time.

Me - "Hello....can you mount a couple of tires for me? I'll pull the wheels off the bike, and drop them by."

Dealer - "Did you buy the tires from me?"

Me - "Um, no I did not....I ordered them on the internet a while back when they were on sale"

Dealer - "I don't want your business"

I have not set foot in the local KTM dealer's shop in the 5 years since that conversation took place.

Both of these are true conversations I have had...:cry
  5. DarthJ

DarthJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Damn, that sucks. I like the dealer here, they sell and service anything, took bike in for initial service, and they actually checked it over instead of just doing an oil change. They noted a minor (so minor I didn't notice) water pump leak, they went ahead and ordered the pump, called me and said they'll have it ready as soon as the replacement pump arrived. And that's for warranty work!
  6. jeepkevin

jeepkevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife gives me the ok to go out and purchase another bike. I run down to my local dealer a roll one out of the line up. I had been doing my research for months, wanted to check a couple key things. Spent about 15 mins. looking it over, then roll it up to the salesmans desk. He finally greets me and asks what he can do. I tell him I'm ready to purchase a bike. He then tells me to let him know when I am serious. Ummmm!!
    I roll bike back down to where I got it, put it back and left. I guess the other 2 bikes I bought there in the past 12 months didn't qualify me as a serious buyer. "Let me know when your serious" Come on dude!! Your here to encourage sales. Now you just lost one. I held off buying a bike, thought something was just not meant to be. I returned to that dealer about 6 months later, all new emplyees. No wonder.
    I did finally get my bike!!! Silly wife was then pissed cause I showed up with it without asking again!! I got permission once, figured that was good for a long time. She saw it different.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can only count on it being good if you are actually in the dealership.
    10 minutes later and the world has changed.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Most of the BMW dealers around here don't tell me anything, they usually ignore me.:evil That's just fine by me.....had a few conversations (conversations I had to engage myself I shall add:wink:) with their mechanics/parts guys lately that just left me shaking my head in disbelief after I left the dealer(s).:lol3

My poor old head....I don't want to shake it too much, it may fall off!:D
  9. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Having worked in dealerships, I'll give you an analogy: Suppose you walked into a diner with all of the fixin's for breakfast in a sack and asked them to cook your breakfast for you using them. Would you feel put out if they refused?

Like it or not, the shop usually covers the cost of opening the doors each day. It's up to sales to make a profit, and you bought over the internet instead of the dealer.

Now, there are independent places who will mount your tires for a fee. I have one nearby that charges 30 bucks if you bring the wheel to them, and it's cheaper if you buy the tire there.
  10. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Not to put words in his mouth - I didn't get the impression that he was asking them to do it for free... seemed like he was asking them the charge to mount and balance. If not, yup, I agree with you. A man has a right to get paid for his work. His work is motorcycle maintenance - shouldn't have to do it for free.
  11. ttpete

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean for free. The point was that if the dealer didn't sell the tire, he didn't make a profit on it, and anything he charged went to overhead, which is usually a non-profit area.
  12. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:

I've gotten this one before, but from a car dealer. Was fresh out of the Navy, 25 years old and looked younger - so, judge a book by its cover... but I was also a single (former) officer with a fat stack of deployment cash for a down payment and a pre-approved bank loan check in my pocket. Ended up spending my money somewhere else. Was my dream car, and I put half down. Still have the car, long since paid off.

On the positive side, my local motorcycle dealer is Thousand Oaks Powersports, and I think they're great. They have one sales guy who irritates me, but all the rest of the staff is cool.

Cade
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Let me give you a scenario.

Guy walks into a motorcycle shop asking if the shop will mount tires for him. The shop says, "Sure, but only if you buy them from us, liability concerns. Sorry sir!" Customer, "No problem, I understand." The customer leaves, finds another place willing to take his money, but is not pissed because the first shop treated him with respect.

Later, the guy goes back to the shop for service, supplies or gear. Everyone is happy, and the shop makes money.:deal

See the difference?

Jim :brow
  14. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    The difference is, the diner actually has the food in the fridge and all ready to be cooked.

I hate buying stuff at a local dealer...they never carry anything, so I have to drive down there...wait while the parts guy digs thru several catalogs looking for the part I want...then, they have to order it, and say they'll have it in a week or so, so that means a second trip to pick up the part.

Why should I have to go thru all that hassle, when I can do a 5 minute search of the internet, order the part online, and 3 days later its sitting on my front step.

Whether I purchased the tires at the shop or not, the point is, they had the chance to do some paying work (I did not expect them to mount the tires for free), and could have potentially earned a new customer.

Business must so good that they don't need any extra work.
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Bullshit.

You have a sales department, a parts department, and a service department.

The service department makes money on every tire it mounts, whether it's bought in the parts department, or carried in.

Turning away carry-in tire mounting is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Oh, and I've worked in dealerships, too. :thumb
  16. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Yup, but the result is the same. First one might have been having a bad day. Second one essentially said the same thing. There are those who go to a dealership and try on helmets, then buy them online from a discount dealer. Same goes for clothing. I just think it's asking a lot to be able to buy online and then expect a dealer to mount them. I don't do that, having been in the business.
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Income is income is income, be it from markup over cost on tires or having something for a tech to do in spare moments. Everything is overhead (building space, utilities, labor, taxes, etc) until overhead is paid for, THEN anything left is profit.

With a machine, mount and balance on two wheels should be what- half an hour, tops? Using the previously mentioned $30/wheel rate (off the bike), that's $120/hour. What's the tech make? Double that to cover burdened costs (insurance, taxes, your mentioned "overhead") and it's still 50% "profit".

Or you can let that tech stand there scratching his nuts for that half hour, generating no income for the shop. :dunno

Worse is "I don't want your business". That's messed up. Tell them "our insurance coverage won't let us mount tires brought in from another supplier", which is BS but at least it saves face. Tell him "OK, this time, and next time check, we'll price match what you paid online" or "if you buy them here, we'll do the work for less" is better. Telling a customer (that is, a person with a desire to give you money in exchange for a service or product you can provide) to go away is a shortcut to bankruptcy.
  18. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:

yup.

I'm not paying 250 for a tire i can buy for 117 online. I don't care if you mount it for free, you're still ripping me off.

you'll still make $25 or 30 a tire for mounting and balancing. shit it's maybe 15 mins a tire to do it. you make some quick money, i'm in, out and on my way quickly

I've had people "encourage" me to buy from them and they upcharge on labor since I bring in my own parts, but it still beats the their markup.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that they can also charge for new valve stems, seals for TPS, and wheel weights. Plus shop supplies and disposal fees. There is profit in everything they do. It is foolish to turn away customers, especially if you are doing it rudely!:deal

Jim :brow
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ditto with the local BMW shop,I brought a tire in to have them mount up,for the usual 45.00 for off the bike 10 minute tire change,I only brought in the wheel and tire.
    I was trying to get on the road for a trip...........The looong looks and admonitions that they really dont do this kind of thing went on....where did you buy this tire?....Weve got those tires here....... 45.00 they made off me + the 5.00 for each BMW wheel weight.

Is that not business and they made money? Either way Im cured of the BMW thing,
    Its no wonder bike shops drive customers away,they are living in the past and dont realize every customer counts no matter what they need done.No Matter What.