'70 sl350 street tracker

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by shane_lxi, Aug 4, 2012.

1. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whatcha need man? I have a few parts left over, the side covers are gone, and the steering dampener is spoken for as well (though I still need to ship it!!)

Admittedly I haven't touched this thing in a few days, but I have an excuse, albeit a half assed excuse. I was throwing it together and noticed the upper triple clamp (the 2nd one I've bought) has a small crack in it. I can't for the life of me find an upper triple that is not fucking cracked, so I got all depressed over it and there the bike sits. I finally nutted up and bought a billet triple from bullitcustomcycle.com. $150, but i've spend nearly that buying broken triple trees, so I'd rather pay the extra $ for a triple that I know is not broken, and is likely not to break either. Oh well, here's a picture of my shame...

[​IMG]
  2. larrattn

larrattn n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Shane, can you believe, I could REALLY do with the rear frame loop you cut off. I am going the other way trying to take a street tracker back to standard SL350. There are numerous other bits and bobs that I could use

Regards
    Neil
  3. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually reused the seat hoop, I just extended it and put it at a different angle. I still have the oem fenders, lol.
  4. larrattn

larrattn n00b

Oddometer:
    Yo Shane, still have the rear light ?

Cheers Neil
  5. larrattn

larrattn n00b

Oddometer:
    OOPS, and maybe the standard mirrors ?

Cheers
    Neil
  6. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I have any of that stuff anymore man :(

Got my engine in today finally. I decided to throw my sidecovers on after I install the motor to avoid scratching them to shit. Should be happening tomorrow. Here's some pics for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my new upper triple clamp in the mail today finally! Looks good, I kinda wish it didn't have the Bullit logo engraved into it, but that's ok. It fits really well and and looks good on the bike. It kind of sucks that it increases the distance between the upper fork clamps and the lower clamps by about an inch, so it kinda spaced all my stuff out up there. I'm prolly the only person anal enough to be bothered by it, so I'll just have to live with it, lol. Other than those little irks, it's a well built part for not a ridiculous amount of money (but still a bit pricey), and it looks much much sturdier than the stock unit. Plus, it's not cracked, so that's a plus. My old speedo bracket for the OEM upper did not work with this, but luckily there are two pairs of tapped holes in these things for brackets, so I made a new one really quick and it actually looks alot better than the other one I made, lol.

I had been planning on putting my sidecovers on this week, but in true anal/OCD fashion, I had to touch up the paint on them. Needless to say, I fucked them up, and had to strip them down to bare metal and reshoot them. Hopefully they'll go on this weekend and I can start wiring. Not excited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got alot of it thrown together today. Still need to do little things like run vacuum and fuel lines, install the coils, etc. Then I need to wire it up and ride it. More pics when it get's there!

Sorry for the watermark, using my wife's work computer and I don't know how to stop Lightroom from adding it, lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Looking good. My wife and I are building an sl350 framed cl that will receive a similar treatment with a small cafe bump and tracker bars.. And maybe a smog pump supercharger. Vm34 carbs and some head porting. Maybe a very mild rake as well, ala club black 2 by wrenchmonkees.
  10. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that bike too. Wrenchmonkees does good work. Only thing I'm not overly fond of on that one is the rear tire tucking, seems out of place on the hump seat.
  11. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    I agree, and any suspension movement and its toast too.

We sold the other two project vehicles last night so maybe we can get back to the 350 now!
  12. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I got my bracket for my coils finished, and got decided to throw this thing the rest of the way together when I noticed there were 2 small cracks along some welds on my gas tank. Long story short, it leaks, alot. It is getting welded up by a friend of mine since I don't trust myself to weld on my gas tank, but in the meantime, I should start wiring. Anyway, there's my weekly update :(
  13. RedBeard_ADV

RedBeard_ADV Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    :lurk Anxious to see more. Great photography btw. Keep up the good work!
  14. Harry Backer

Harry Backer Ran when parked!

Oddometer:
    :lurkI haven't started on either of mine yet. Had a heart operation 7 mo. ago so I am still in the design phase. Your bike is looking great.
  15. shane_lxi

shane_lxi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my wiring all done. I fucking hate wiring, but it wasnt too bad. Bike kicks over and tries to start, but won't. I'm thinking I need to regap my points since I had the housing off and didn't redo it. That's the only thing I can think of. Oh well, I'll figure it out. It's not going to be anything serious. More updates when I'm riding it!