XML to GPX File Question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ducnek, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    I am trying to download a file to my Iphone Motion X GPS app

The app only works with GPX Files (think)

The file I am trying to open is a XML file.

Can this be converted to a gpx file?
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Depending on the data format, it might be as simple as changing the filename extension from .xml to .gpx.
  3. ducnek

Oddometer:
  4. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm no computer whiz but hogwild is correct, confirmed by downloading from the link you provided.

On a PC;
    R click the file and "Save Target", as you said it will be saved as an XML file.
    R click the file you saved and then "Open with" and find the application you are wanting to use, opened fine with MapSource.
    If it opens and looks fine do a "Save as" and be sure to select .gpx.

I'm sure you could just modify the original file extension but you might as well open it to see if it is corrupt.
    Not sure how this works on a Mac or phone.

I think GPX files are a type of XML.

Bruce
  5. ducnek

Oddometer:
    :umphHmmm...

I have tried it about 5 times, and it can only be saved as a XML.
    I am trying to open with google earth, and I keep getting an error.
    I don't own a Garmin product, and don't have Mapsource

The goofy way I have to load it into my Iphone only recognizes a GPX format, Ill email Motion X and see what they come up with
  6. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right click on the link you want to download and select "Save As". It will let you save as the original file name. Richard has an issue with the site and if you do a regular left click on the link it treats it as a .xml file.
  7. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to download it on your iphone? Or on a Mac/PC for transferring to the iphone?. If the first, I can see how that would be an issue.
  8. ducnek

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I am trying to download it to my computer as a GPX, and then I can open it with a nav program from my Iphone after the transfer.

I think I can rename it as mentioned before.

I think the problem is the Iphone nav app only recognizes files with a GPX file extension
  9. mcnut

Oddometer:
    Agreed, while these are XML they are of a GPX layout. Opening the file in an text editor tells you that and they do open in MapSource and BaseCamp so

How can he change the file extension from XML to GPX without using separate software?

Bruce
  10. ducnek

Oddometer:
    Got it, I saved them as a XML, and then email them to a gmail account. I simply Rclick the attachment and save as a .GPX

That seems kinda like going around the block to get next door, but it works.
  11. mcnut

Oddometer:
    So is there an easier way to change a file extension in windows?

Bruce
  12. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Yes, you save it to your hard disk as .XML. Then using Explorer (the file manager, not Internet Explorer), you find the file where you saved it and right-click on the file then select Rename. Then delete the XML and replace it with GPX. It should take less than 10 seconds to do this.
  13. mcnut

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought but on my Win7 machine that changes the name to .gpx but the "type" and file properties still say XML.

Bruce
  14. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. The problem is happening before that. The file should not have a "xml" anywhere in the name, they don't appear to have that on the server, so something on your computer is incorrectly adding the "xml" part.

Having a look at the website (web development is my profession), it appears to be misconfigured. I don't encounter the same problem you have when I download them, but I do see a different/related bug.

Looking at the download for "Ride 1: The Real River Road", the filename is "the_real_river_road.gpx" on the website. If the name is anything else when you download it to your computer, then you should be able to rename it to "the_real_river_road.gpx".

Are you using a Mac or PC? What web browser are you using? That will help us give you accurate instructions if you're not sure how to rename the file.

Once you've got the file named correctly, the best way to import files into MotionX is using iTunes Drag and Drop file management. You can find instructions for this in the MotionX manual.

Also, It would be a good idea to email whoever made the website and let him know his server is miss-configured (he needs to properly setup the mime type header for those downloads).
  15. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing that matters is the ".gpx" bit on the end of the name. It doesn't matter what "type" windows thinks the file is, only the name matters once the file has been transferred into MotionX.

Beware sometimes your computer will only show you part of the name, maybe the real name is "blah.gpx.xml" and all it shows is "blah.gpx". Usually you can see the full name in properties, to verify if this is happening.
  16. mcnut

Oddometer:
    Ok, that is exactly what is happening, I have to do a "Properties" and then go to the "Details" tab to even see this and then I'm not able to edit it there. Seems like this used to be easer to do, I think MS is trying to protect us from ourselves.

Win 7, Window Explorer, IE9

I'm not using MotionX, just curious how to change an extension you can't see in an editable box.

Bruce
  17. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking up microsoft's official documentation, there are two steps. First you need to make extensions visible: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-file-name-extensions

Then whenever you rename a file, you will be allowed to change the extension. It will prompt you with a "do you really want to do this?" alert, which will help prevent any accidental changes.

Yep! In theory changing a file extension should only be done by programmers like me, and even then rarely. But when something goes wrong (for example, this website that isn't configured properly) you do need to do it.

Technically challenged users changing the extension of a file leads to all kinds of problems.

Still, it is harder than it should be! That's why I use a mac, where a proper UNIX command prompt is a keypress away. :deal
  18. mcnut

Oddometer:
    Thanks, now I'm armed with some dangerous info.

The files from that site seem a little problematic;
    Could be opened in MapSource, and after conversion to KMZ, in GE but they were a little weird.
    Not a lot lost as the one I did see looked to be autorouted secondary and main dirt roads, not unique as ridden tracks.

Bruce
  19. ducnek

Oddometer:
    +1

I will make detailed tracks while I am down there and post them here when I get back

Thanks for the help :beer
  20. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    He knows. I work with him some. It is an issue with the level of service he is paying for at that hosting company. We've talked about it some already.