Off to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joevano, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after monthe of wrenching, modifying, fixing things that weren't broken, and some that were, I'm finally off to Alaska!

My souped up DR650, Wolfman ensemble, Garmin Montana, MX Rob carb, Sasquatch suspension! Mefo tires, etc, we (me and machine) are really doing it.

Originally the plan was to leave yesterday but work got too busy so today was it. When I went to bed last night, I thought I was ready to depart at 8, and put on about 600 miles, but no! At the last minute I remembered to load my waypoints and route into the Montana only to find out it needed an update, add 1 hour. Then I had trouble loading my route, and when the route was transfered, it goes as the crow flies, not by roads, add another hour. Have not yet figured that out so if someone has the secret, do share.

Get to the garage for the last look at my loaded bike, looks like too much, add another hour.

Next thing I know I'm leaving at 1:00, good thing I have a whole month and no tight schedule.

In the first 60 miles, I probably pulled over 3 or 4 times to make sure I had this or that, check the straps, and check them again, figure out how to reset the trip computer on the Montana, add another hour.

It was fairly windy and hot for the first part so kept it between 70 and 75. Later after the rain and temp drop of 30 degrees, I ran 75-80. I found the bike to be pretty thirsty, getting about 30 as far as I can guesstimate. I have a Safari tank the Sharpie marks on the side for a guage. Since it holds 9 gallons, I was not filling it up for best accuracy so It's a guesstimate.

At dusk and feeling like running into the night, it started raining again so I decided to call it in Bismarck ND, racking up 421 miles and feeling good!

Now i plug my camera memory card into the iPad to start sharing pics but the iPad claims the device draws too much power and won't let it work?

So for now I'll just journal my experiences and hope to add pictures later. If anyone can help me get pics from my card to iPad so I can share, let me know.

Looking forward to spending a couple or three days at D2D! Also would like to get offroad up there so if anyone going for the rally knows some tracks, let me know!

All for now, ride safe!
  2. ipaqpoweruser

ipaqpoweruser Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    When I use my camera card, I plug the card into the converter before I plug the converter into the ipad. I plug the converter into the ipad before I turn the ipad on. When I turn the ipad on, the ipad reads the camera card and let's me import the picture.

Good luck on your trip.

Jim L.
  3. ipaqpoweruser

Oddometer:
    Road closure in Canada.
    Alaska and Canada highway agencies reported Friday that the Klondike Highway -- the road from Skagway to Canada -- was closed because of avalanches between the U.S.-Canada border and Carcross, Yukon.
    Washouts on the Alaska Highway in Canada have resulted in closures between Junction 37 and Teslin, on the southern end of the Yukon Territory, and between Haines Junction and Destruction Bay.
    It wasn't immediately clear just how long the closures will remain in effect, though the department expects the closures on the Alaska Highway to last at least through the weekend.

Good luck

Jim L.

4. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    :lurk Good Luck Joe!
  5. flabre

flabre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding with you in spirit...and I hope you get the picture thing figured out.
  6. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your adventure Joe! We met at a BMW club meeting and you mentioned your Alaska trip. I'll be following this thread closely.
  7. Daggy

Daggy Wondering ...

Oddometer:
    Have a good time Joe!
    Make sure and stop once in awhile to let it all soak in.
    Remember to tip the waitresses well. :clap
  8. Airhead Steve

Airhead Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :lurk
    Have a great trip!

Steve
  9. liquidsmile

liquidsmile Soon to be bored with the bike I am riding.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a blast. Have fun, and I hope they get the roads sorted out for you.
  10. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday started out rough. 30-35 MPH crosswinds were really a challenge when passing semi's. Left Mandan with my fleece under the 'Stich and had to stop and add long johns.

Riding into that wind I only went up to 65 and mileage was about 30.

At Glendive I got off 94 and headed north to 2. The fun riding started on the two lane.

Ended up my day 509 miles farther in Havre MT.

Got a cable for my camera but now having trouble uploading from iPad to Smugmug. Once that is sorted out I'll put my pics there.

Later!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?otxwdp
  11. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joe,

Have an awesome ride...it will be the trip of your life! BTW, if you figure a way to easily upload pics from your iPad to SmugMug, do tell!

Be safe, and looking forward to your report!:clap

Steve
  12. revtech100

revtech100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your in Dawson city Yukon next weekend stop by for the non rally.
  13. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe,

Lookin fwd to seeing some of your photos when you get the tech difficulties sorted. Heard on the news this morning that the Alaska Hwy between Watson Lake and Teslin has re-opened with a section or two of single-lane, alternating traffic. Seeya soon!

http://www.511yukon.ca/map/map0A.html

~GIS
  14. ipaqpoweruser

Oddometer:
    Weather map shows rain west of Helena

JL
  15. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your getting close to what it feels like to be a butterfly in a hurricane. Make sure your checking your oil level.

Ride Safe!
    daryl
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.
    I love Alaska RRs. Good luck with the pics. +1 on going from a iPad. Like to hear how you solve it.
    Heading that way next summer, but will just have 2 weeks.. Your RR will show all the stuff I'm going to miss.

Ride safe, have fun.
  17. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's where I'm headed! Should be there Tuesday. Been collecting T-shirts for swag from dealers, 4 so far.
  18. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Left Havre ND early Tuesday morning hoping to get all the way to Bonners Ferry ID.

I have been noticing the tach on the Trailtech Vapor intermittently running high and it seemed to be when pushing hard and fast into the wind. Did not notice and sound of clutch slipping but it was getting to me mentally. I installed a Raptor short pull clutch lever a couple months ago and so was worried things were not adjusted right so I pulled off the road for a while and readjusted the cable and lever on the clutch. My tool tube is great to have! Still worried, I stopped at the dealer in Kalispell and they checked it out OK.

West of Kalispell I ran past a really nice B&B so pulled up short for that day. http://www.mooseridgemontana.com/

When pulling into Canadian customs today, I rode on the grass down to the lake for a pic in front of the Canada sign. Maybe that's why they pulled me out for a backround check and close look at the bike? Customs guys have NO sense of humor!

The ride up 3A along Kootenay lake was amazing! Worththe trip just for that, not to mention the road over the pass from Kaslo to New denver where i called it a day at http://www.domequixote.com/.

Still can't get photos uploaded from iPad to Smugmug or Photobucket, love technology!

BTW, I was told at the border today that the road to Alaska is washed out west of Watson Lake and there is no travel from Canad to Alaska. Better check on that. The roads so far are so good I could just stay here, but I won't.

1600 miles so far!
  19. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long day in the saddle Thursday got me 570 miles to Prince George. Had a couple hours of rain starting in Kamloops but the 'Stich did it's job. Did get the Gerbing plugged in for a while, sure glad I had that!

I think I've put more daily miles on the Goldwing, but 570 miles on a DR650 should be weighted differently,right?

Nothing too exciting, except for watching a Blazer do a 360 right in front of me at about 75 mpg. Not sure what was going on but it blasted past me and then locked up brakes, spun into the oncoming lane, and ended up on the right shoulder. I kept waiting for it to roll but thankfully it did not. Two pot smoking hippy type kids jumped out and hugged each other as if "that was an awesome ride dude!" That makes me sound old, but I was young once ;)

After 13.5 hours, I landed at a fellow inmates home near Prince George. GISdude and his wife host traveling inmates for camping. Kelly was an awesome host even cooking me up some chow.

A couple days ago in lower BC I could not imagine making all this mileage in the time allotted, but once I got up this way, it's amazing how far you can go when there is little or no place to stop.

Today I'm heading to Hyder and will probably stay two nights just to relax. It's 100% chance of rain tomorrow but what are you going to do!