How do I split 1 MapSource route into 2-3 smaller routes?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by decodent, Jun 19, 2010.

1. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Haven't found any documentation to help me with this ...

I have Big Dog's CDT route and each of the routes is too large for my Zumo 450 (too many "Via Points").

So I assume what I need to do is simply break the file into smaller routes, yes?

If so, how?

Thanks.
  2. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    make 3 seperate routes....or make one, then the next , then the last.
    Separate files

ex: Trip_1 Trip_2 Trip_3
  3. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Not sure I understand what you mean (this is my 1st time using MapSource).

So here's what I have - 1 file containing 6 routes. Several of the routes within this file are too large to load up into the Zumo because they have too many "Via Points".

How can I split up a ROUTE within a single file so that each sub-route will show up in a manageable size?

In other words, how do I take 1 long route and split it into 2-3 separate routes within the same file?
  4. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try creating a new route on the original (go close on magnification) using the route tool then save as new title. You can copy and paste this route into a new Mapsource file. Its what I do
    Hope this helps

Chubby
  5. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    you can't split a route.

You have to keep the waypoints to less than 2,000.....I am pretty sure for a Zumo the max is 200 points.

re-do it in three seprate .gpd files...upoload all three.

I had to do the TAT with 11 or so routes

Just name them in relation so you can find them in the "routes" off of "where to".
  6. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    I am sorry, 50 waypoints.
    If you are waypointing LOTS of turns, you will have to keep each route under 50 turns.
  7. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    exactly how are you trying to route this, using auto route, or are you entering a shitload of towns or intersections?
  8. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    I'm simply using Big Dog's existing GPS file:

Big Dog's CD Route.gpx

I want to use this route on my Zumo exactly the way it is, though that may change as I get more comfortable with MapSource.

9. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    I'm simply using Big Dog's existing GPS file:

Big Dog's CD Route.gpx

10. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    There's an easier way than splitting the routes. Go to the Garmin website and download BaseCamp for your operating system. Open the file in BaseCamp and find the tracks. At quick glance it appears they're by day and run about 700 points. Now you have two options. You can split the tracks using the track tools and then have BaseCamp convert each segment to a route. Option two is to upload the track segments to your GPS and use then, but if you're not comfortable with tracks go the route method. HTH
  11. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Any other options besides BaseCamp?

BaseCamp won't install. Says I need to download Windows Service Pack 3. Which, from the problems I've heard it causes, :eek1 I won't do.
  12. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    Like I said, keep the waypoints below 50...the tracks have 4xx + of waypoints.

You'll have to break it down, or you can just load the tracks and lose any "turn here, turn there".....
  13. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. I forgot that Garmin had gone that route (I'm running a Mac). AFAIK, BaseCamp is the best bet for track to route conversion. OK...... I didn't want to go here but try this.

In MapSource, make a duplicate of the route you want to start with. Copy it to your clipboard and open a second instance of MapSource. Paste the copied route to the new instance. Open the route properties window and count down 50 via points. Delete all of the via points below this and recalc the route. Check it against the original in the first MapSource and adjust if necessary. Rename it. Upload this edited route to your GPS and make sure it looks OK. For route 2, re-paste the original into the second MapSource. Delete the first 50 via points, count down another 50 and delete all below this point..... Get the picture? I have no idea if this will work with off road routes but I've used it on road based routes to save route segments I want to archive without saving the whole route. HTH

Edit:

You can also try with more vias to start and find what the limit of your GPS is. 50 seems pretty limited but then I find the whole Zumo series limited. :D
  14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    The first thing we need to do is figure out if decodent is trying to use the ROUTES or the TRACKS in this file (or both):ear

BigDog never intended the *routes* in this file to be used as "follow roads" autoroutes (see post #146 in the thread where he posted the file). He used a 276C for his ride and so his file is made to work with that unit well.
    His intention was for riders to use the routes in "off road" mode as a rough guide between turns but use the TRACKS for the exact navigation. I did this in 2007 with my 60Cx and it worked great - after I edited the track files to work with my GPS.
    You need to use his file as a guide to develop your own file that will work for you and your specific GPS unit (as CBAT suggested in the Divide Ride thread) but it sounds like you don't have enough Mapsource experience to do it.

I think Countdown has a file for the CDR he created which has 250 points or less in all of the routes and tracks - however it was created for use in the old GPS V so you would be needlessly reducing track resolution for your Zumo IMHO.

You can split routes up in Mapsource by going to route properties and cut/pasting some of the points into a new route.

The limit for a Zumo 450 for any kind of route is 250 points, not 50 (as DRTBYK replied in the other thread). The 60/76 (eTrex?) family units do have a limit of 50 points for a "follow roads" route but they can take 250 for an "off road" route.
  15. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    ... that's what it feels like I'm doing.

Anyway, here my goals:

Vision - have entire CDR on my Zumo 450, and simply "follow the purple line" all the way from Mex to Can.

But, at a more granular & practical level, also:
    • Use the GPS to find known gas, lodging, restaurants, etc.
    • Be able to meander away from the main CDR for a bit, then come back and rejoin it.
    This is only my 2nd day with MapSource, and - frankly - I find it to be a fairly "clunky" program; it's not as intuitive as it could be. I have no doubts that it's a powerful program, but there's a learning curve to it. For example, I find it's nowhere near as elegant as Google Maps.

And the documentation/ tutorials I've found are not as helpful as they might be.

At any rate, I simply want to accomplish the above as easily & smoothly as possible.

From what I can see, Zumo likes ROUTES as the form of import. If so, then I'm guessing that the best path is to edit the TRACKS into these 250-max sizes, then convert them to ROUTES that easily get pulled into the Zumo.

Yah? Or is there an easier way?

Oy ... and then it sounds like there's the path of overlaying Big Dog's tracks and then creating my own route from there, then saving it?

Much to learn ...
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well - I've been using Mapsource since before there even WAS Google Maps - so I hate Google Maps and use Mapsource for all of my route planning. I'm probably in the minority though:D

You said "from Mex to Can" - you do know that BigDog set his file up for north to south travel (even though he did south to north) because that's the way the Adventure Cycling Assn maps go.

Since your Zumo 450 only uses routes (it can do tracks but converts them to routes) I think by far your best bet is to use BigDog's file as a guide and come up with your own routes using the maps you have loaded on your computer and in your GPS.

Check your PM's though - I may be able to help.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has 500 points per track with about 18 tracks plus a couple options.

I make them by editing active logs from three different groups who rode the CDR.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I think you sent me one you had set up for a GPS V once that only had 10 tracks of 250 points each. I know your main file has 500-point tracks. It could have been someone else though.

I got with decodent offline and I think we have it straightened out.
  19. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to go too far off topic but the SP3 problems are vastly overblown. Even Leo Laporte now recommends that everyone install it.

I have installed it on 5 just about totally different Windows machines (different cpus, mobos, drives, network cards, displays etc.) with no problems. It is really all better now. :deal
  20. OakLeaf

OakLeaf n00b

Oddometer: