Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bESS, Jun 27, 2013.

1. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In less than 2 weeks I will be leaving Vancouver BC and heading across the country and aiming for Portland ME. From there the plan is to head north back into Canada and try to find some Lobster in Shediac, NB, the Lobster Capital of the World. Then ride over the Confederation Bridge to PEI: Prince Edward Island. After a week of R&R on PEI it will be time to head home, visit some friends in Kingston, Ontario. From there it's anyone's guess as to which return route I will take. So many options and so little time

Obviously I will be taking my Pink Crocs. They have traveled with me to many places. About 4 years ago I acquired my pair of Pink Crocs "on a challenge" and since then I have accepted and embraced the colour

[​IMG]

Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, Oregon July 2010

I started touring about 6 years ago. Started with one weekend the first year, then a couple of weekends and over time it expanded to a 10 day multi day trip to Montana a couple of years ago

[​IMG]

St Mary's Lake, Highway to the Sun, Montana July 2011

Most of my travels have taken me to Britsh Columbia, WA, OR, ID & MT. In fact I have been to Oregon every year for the past few and I thought it was time for a change

[​IMG]

approaching St Mary's, MT July 2011

This year I decided to take a much longer trip and include a few weeks of unpaid vacation time. The duration of this trip will be 6 weeks

I bought my Vstrom DL650 in 2009 . It is reliable and has given me many trouble free miles and many memories

[​IMG]

Oregon Coast, July, 2012

In fact, I would trust it to take me anywhere on a moments notice, and I know it would take me there and back without fuss

I have always had my eye on owning a BMW, at least once in my life so when I was planning this trip and thinking about the miles involved I rationalized in my mind that this would be the perfect excuse to buy a Nu2me bike for extended highway travel, not that I wouldn't prefer secondary roads much better

[​IMG]

English Bay, Vancouver, BC (my hometown)

I have no route planned except for the first 2 days. I do not need to see anything in WA or OR so I will take the slab into MT, most likely I-90 and then divert south through Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and get to Cody, WY. From there I will plan each day as it comes. It is a bit outside of my comfort zone not to have accommodations booked along the way but I am trying to be adventurous and self sufficient

[​IMG]

In my mind I am still torn as to which bike to bring as I do not plan of leaving paved roads but the BMW is safer with the traction control and TPS, plus it is less messy with the shaft drive.

I have had the R1200R fully serviced

[​IMG]

The splines were dry, but not anymore. All fluids have been changed; rear diff, brake flush, trans flush, oil change, new battery, new Pilot Road2s and pads are like new.

[​IMG]

Inukshuk, English Bay, Vancouver, BC

I am sticking to the Northern States as I head East probably a combination of I-90 or I-80 until I get to PA. If you are on my route then it would be nice to meet some of you.

This will be my longest solo ride on my motorcycle and I will probably get tired hearing me talk to myself but the thought of having a few meals of lobster will keep me going . . .

It is my plan to keep this RR live as long as I can find WiFi each evening.

departure date: July 10th, 2013

Thanks for reading and see you on the road.

bob
  2. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Bob

It's great to see you are on your way, living the dream.

I used to live in Beach Towers, right across the street from where you took that shot of your new BMW by the Inukshuk in Vancouver.

It's going to be fun to be at home reading your ride report since you were a dedicated reader of my Lobsters to LLamas report of my ride to Argentina this past Winter.

We'll fix you up with some lobster when you get here, no worries! They don't call Shediac, NB the "Lobster Capital of the World" for nothing.

In the meantime, ride safe, enjoy the freedom of not having too much advance planning.

(subscribed)

Kedgi

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
  3. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the best for a safe and memorable adventure!

Cheers,
  4. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dwight:

welcome aboard. Hard to concentrate on work, just dreaming of the open road. This trip is not as adventurous as yours and I don't have to learn Spanish, although I wouldn't mind so I can follow in your wheel tracks.

I'm envious of your recent NL trip. I was there too long ago and all the time I was there I was wishing that I had my bike.

I've never had a Lobster roll so I am really looking forward to it

If you are homesick and want a few photos of Beach Avenue or Denman Street let me know and your wish is my command

bob
  5. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Poolman:

I've never been to New England or Maine before so I am looking forward to seeing new vistas, and thank you for your good wishes

bob
  6. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Your going from a wonderful place and heading to a wonderful place. I've been lucky and have spent time riding my BMW in both. Lobster rolls are wonderful. I've watched the price go up over the past 30 years, still worth it tho! Enjoy the trip.:D
  7. jagred

jagred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice stable of bikes! It is a shame to leave one at home. Maybe I should fly up and accompany you riding the Wee Strom... just so it doesn't get lonely sitting at home :lol3

What a great trip. My family is from Atlantic Canada, and a lobster roll is good stuff! Definitely worth the trip
  8. flyrod

flyrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bess,
    If you need a place to stay in southern NH let me know. Room to tent or
    spare bedroom. Also room to work on bikes, tools, etc.
    Might have to leave the pink crocs in a side case -------
    Flyrod
  9. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bob,

If you make it as far south as DC (weekdays) or coastal Delaware/MD (weekends) let me know. I have beer, tools, and beer.

Safe Travels,
  10. Scootard

Scootard Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob:
    I know what it's like to start ramping up for a road trip. The excitement level must be palpable by now, the actual salivating will begin in a few days, and the inability to concentrate on anything else will be upon you like a mean Jones by about the 7th.

It sounds like a wonderful trip, and some of the best happenstances occur when you have no set plan. I know you probably won't get as far south as OK, but if you do our couch is available. The temperature has been around 106F the last couple days, so keep the sunscreen handy for your face. I know you're ATTGATT so that should take care of the rest.

Also, Scooterchick would want to warn you to watch out for suicidal dragonflies, since she isn't riding in front of you on this trip. We will watch your progress with interest and look forward to your excellent reportage.

Keep in mind most of the blue roads are posted at 65mph or better (unlike at home) so transiting then is almost as fast as superslab, but a lot more interesting, as you pass the scenery at close range, traffic is lighter and you get to meet folk and pass through towns that time seems to have forgotten, in it's mad headlong rush toward the future. :ricky :ricky
  11. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marty:

I have never had the opportunity to explore the Eastern Seaboard. It seems so far away, but I have been up and down our West Coast and I thought it was time for a change, to see new vistas, to challenge a new horizon. I will be able to see the sun come out of the ocean, rather than settling into it.

I am looking forward to riding my "R" this year. The engine seems smoother and less busy at highway speeds.

You don't want to know how much our Lobsters are here. I'm looking forward to my first Lobster roll and in ADVrider tradition I will post a photo of it

bob
  12. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Jagred:

This is very kind of you to exercise my bike while I am away. Perhaps you could also cycle out the old gas by riding it, and of course I will pay for your gas. I mean, what are friends for.

When we were in NL a few years ago we couldn't find any lobsters but then again we spent most of our time north in Fogo Island. We also went to Bonavista and Burin Peninsulas and those two French Islands

bob
  13. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flyrod:

This is very kind of you. I am not sure of my plan or route yet but for sure if I need a place I will let you know as we get closer.

are you man enough to wear PINK ? we shall see . . . This is how it all started. I used to be self conscious but now I don't even notice the stares I get

bob
  14. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Poolman:

I am not sure that I would be south of I-80 and I will be riding North from there, BUT never say never and plans can change so I appreciate your offer and I may end up on your doorstep.

At this point I don't even know what roads I'm going to take as we don't have TOLL roads here and I want to avoid them.

Can't wait to get to your part of the Country

bob
  15. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris:

Oh Oh, you found me. I hide out here more than you can imagine but I lurk more than comment. I thought that I would start an RR this year for my trip as payback for the many hours of enjoyment I receive by reading RR's of others who go to exotic places.

I was hoping to see you two this trip but OK is too far south however, that doesn't mean that you can't come North a bit and meet me half way. I need a dragonfly blocker . . .

welcome aboard and my Spot tracker will be active during my journey

bob
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Bob

i have been thinking today "i'm not doing anything!"l'd like to ride out to Ankeny Iowa and meet you for a night at my friend Jim's place. I don't want to cramp your style. We could meet up there, meet again in NH and then of course meet again in Shediac. Kedgi here likes to ride solo but is not opposed to good company. What do you you think? My buddy Steve will likely go too.

Bike is packed......just lookin' for an excuse to go.

You tell us what you want to do....we"ll make it happen.

db

Kedgi
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok!

Here is a project....if you are up to the challenge! Don't go out of your way ....But.....one of my best friends is a stunningly beautiful Norwegian Girl named Sasha, she works at the Bayside Lounge (corner of Davie and Denman in the daytime) I want your picture with her. tell her you are friends with Dwight and Angele.

I know I'm giving you a tough mission here, Bob...but an excuse to go meet and take your picture with Sasha...come on!

There is no Adventure Biker alive that would not find this young lady a ten.

I tihnk that every reader that wants to see Sasha should say so!

Having done that, here is mission 2, Ride over to MCL MotorCars at the south end of the Burrard Bridge.....Angele would like a picture of you and George (the Service manager) and you and Phil Levy one of their service advisers and and the gang at MCL's Service Department.

Sasha is adorable and the boys at MCL are pretty cool.

Don't do it if you don't want to but if you do....you'll have fun!

ADV Guys will drool over Sasha....now I have given you an excuse to talk to her.

db
  18. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dwight:

Ok, your wish is my command

[​IMG]

I got home late from doing some errands so I phoned down and she answered the phone so I headed down there. I mean, what a pick up line, but it worked

[​IMG]

I walked in not knowing what to expect and then after we met she agreed for our photo together

[​IMG]

she said that I could join her in her work area but I thought that she would look better without me

[​IMG]

she is so easy to talk to, with a great smile so we decided to have a beverage and a snack

[​IMG]

here she is bringing our appetizer plate, notice that she is always smiling. Did I mention that she is very easy to talk to and sincere, and has a nice smile

[​IMG]

for those that aren't familiar with Vancouver, it is on the corner of Denman and Davie on the 2nd floor above Starbucks. You can't miss it

[​IMG]

It is across the street from the main beach area of English Bay, and a bit farther south is the Inuckshuk which is across the street from the Beach Towers

I also notice that they have vacancies . . . (hint)

[​IMG]

It was too late to go to MCL

[​IMG]

as they were closed and this is a long weekend

[​IMG]

there is no one around. On weekdays I work in Coquitlam and it would be very hard for me to take it down here after work due to horrendous traffic but I can try again next Saturday. It will be my last chance before I leave on my trip

[​IMG]

they carry high end cars here, sort of out of my price range

I took many more of Sash but I'm keeping them for myself.

Oh, I forgot that she says hi to both you and Angele

bob
  19. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dwight:

sounds good to me. Send me a PM with Jim's address and I could zig and zag my way and hope to not get lost. I don't leave Vancouver until July 10th and I am aiming for Montana and go south to Beartooth Pass and over to Cody.

You could visit with your friend Jim and I have to make it to PA to join up with a couple of other friends. From there we have a weekend planned in Portland, ME where I have lobsters waiting for me.

From there we head to Shediac taking the slow coastal route

bob
  20. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the final days before I depart I have a few loose ends to attend to. I needed to buy Travel Insurance, figure out how my lawn is going to get cut and arrange for all my utility bills to come by email so I can pay on-line.

Then there is the problem of what to bring for a 6 week trip.

[​IMG]

I am not a mechanic but I thought I should bring a few tools so I packed them in zip lock bags

[​IMG]

Nothing much of consequence, just some; allen keys, zip ties, small ratchet and torx bits

[​IMG]

I made a small tool tube and tucked it under the left side behind the sidecase. It is DWV plumbing pipe 2" with a cap and removeable plug.

[​IMG]

I rolled up all the bits in the zip lock bags and then put all of them inside another plastic bag and stuffed them down the tube

[​IMG]

Here is what it looks like with the plug installed

[​IMG]

my tool tube is not that noticeable

[​IMG]

with the left side case attached it is nearly invisible except for the metal hose strap which I used to secure it . I went for a test ride today over imperfect roads and the wheel did not come in contact with it

bob