What food do you pack for remote trips?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by GravelRider, Apr 29, 2013.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what you guys are packing for food for a trip. I realize a lot of us just eat out while on the road, but sometimes that's just not an option. So, with that in mind, what brands and types of foods do you guys pack? I usually pack some protein bars, canned goods (though not many cans, as they're heavy), MRE entrees I get from drills, instant oatmeal packs, and/or mountain House meals. I'm sure there are other options out there for good packable foods, so let's hear 'em!

I'm also curious just how much food that you guys pack. I realize this is heavily dependent upon how far you're going and where you're going, but I'd imagine that most of us won't be going for more than a couple days or so on a bike between stops that would have food available on most of our trips. I usually pack food for about a day or two... But I really haven't been on a ton of trips, and none that were all that remote.
  2. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Instant Oatmeal (there are some pretty good brands out there), Starbucks "Via" coffee, and dehydrated backpacking food for me If I am going to be out in the back country. But that is generally only necessary for a breakfast and an evening meal as the GS needs to eat every so often...which almost always puts me close to a hamburger.
  3. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nuts and granola bars are a favorite of mine. You did say "remote trips" which, for me, means well off the highway (i.e. dirt). So, I also carry a water purifier when I'm out in the wilderness. Saves having to carry a lot of water with me.
  4. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One or two of the boil in bag camp foods all the hikers carry. I make every effort not to eat them tho' due to the massive sodium content. But they are there in a pinch.
  5. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Poptarts and granola bars. Make sure you get lots of water.
  6. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her

Oddometer:
    Clif Bars are dense and provide a good bellyful for several hours while not setting you up to to need unscheduled get-offs 12 hours later if you get my drift, lol.
  7. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Foil pouched products like tuna fish, salmon. Some apple sauce in squeeze pouch, peanut butter/cracker, or any of the snack bar types - granola, etc. A potato can be good too, throw in on a fire or eat it sliced raw. Calories.
  8. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    this has been a great resource for me on the same subject: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290127

Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes are by far my favorite, I can just pour cold water straight in the pouch, stir, and eat if I had to. They fill me up and have roughly the same calories (440? for the whole pouch) as a fast food burger.
  9. tacosupreme

tacosupreme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most are based on if I can boil water.

Instant grits.
    Granola trail mix with powdered milk; eat hot or cold. Eat the trail mix for a day snack.
    Canned pasta.
    Pasta with the stuffed, dehydrated cheese topped with red sauce (or topped with gravy for breakfast). I want to say the stuffed pasta is called Bertoulli? Comes in a bag the size of a bag of coffee. Often hides on the shelves a Walmart.
    Mac and cheese with tuna.
    Those side entree pasta bags with tuna or canned chicken.
    Bag of rolls and potted meat.

MREs plug me up. A weekend eating those and I won't sh*t until the following weekend. Anything that came as a patty was always convenient to eat and go.

Eating out gets expensive, fast. Especially since I'm attracted to Waffle House, Chipotle, and 5 Guys Burgers.
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noon meal is always light... Apples and almonds with plenty of water is my preference.

NFE
  12. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    If all your bio systems are average you need just the basics:

Actual PowerBar brand are good, keep them close to the skin to keep warm or they get tough in cold climates.
    Nowadays I carry “Nature Valley” trail mix bars. Good enough, easy to eat, $.33 on sale, very tasty.

When Playing weekend warrior in the tough stuff:
    Power gel. There are several with varying levels of caffeine to take at different times through the day. They pack tiny, eat (suck) with the helmet on, suck some Camelback juice and you are good to go.
    To eat less miscellaneous chemicals I prep a Premix of honey and almond butter. Some oatmeal flakes mixed in gives you something to chew.
    Water: I load a 3 liter camelback at every occasion.

Now just for comfort food , take cans that can be heated or eaten cold (no washing). Pick cans with a pull tab.
    The cans are bean soup (watch the salt content), tuna, salmon, etc. Some are flavored.
    For bland canned fish pick mayo or Arby’s Horsey Sauce packets.

Also on the comfort front and a 30y/o staple since backpacking in Patagonia at 17:
    A powder home blend prepared of Nescafe (the classic granulated stuff), Powdered milk, (again Nestle) but NO CoffeeMate!!!, and sugar.
    If there is no heat, put a lot of mix in your cup and a little water. Mix it into a homogeneous paste, and then add the rest of the water. A rich mix with cold water is like an upscale coffee in a shi-shi coffee bar.

If you want to toast in the back country, tequila in a small plastic bottle is size efficient. Gold, not clear, 100% agave “El Jimador” is a good trail choice.

How much food to take?… well I guess it is just very personal. Some have sugar level issues, some need the comfort of food. I need little, take lots, and end up taking it back home. For 2 days (1 night): 10 bars, 6 gels, 1 can, 2-3 Bananas if carefully packed.
    Can’t sleep if hungry, but being exhausted and taking Advil helps with that.
  13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't like to carry and clean cookware/plates/etc when camping off the bike in remote locations. Mountain House meals only require boiling water (Jetboil) and no cleanup. Lots of flavors available, some at Walmart even (beef stew and eggs/bacon). I also like peel-top fruit/applesause/pudding cups, Spam Singles, vienna sausages, energy/granola bars, nuts, and small pop-top cans of diced pineapple. Leave every day with more than you think you could possibly need.

I keep a Sawyer Squeeze water filter, Spam Single, and two energy bars in the first aid kit in case something gets sideways and a ride goes longer than expected.

14. cb1313

cb1313 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you stop at a resturant bring the t/w with you . Today many resturants meals have more food that you want at one sitting. When I get my meal I split it in 2 and save the rest for a second meal. I no longer need to eat everything on my plate ( sorry Mom) . Styrofoam dose not travel well on a bike. When you stop for gas start picking up all the free stuff at fast food place and gas stations...salt, pepper, plactic stuff, just a days worth as you will be getting gas again. Napkins to take to the bath room just in case there is no paper there.
    It never bothers men to eat day old pizza for breakfast so the night before think about breakfast. While traveling I have purchased Whopper Juinors and had the cold for breakfast.
    When the t/w is clean, I pack leaky stuff in a small lock top bag just in case something leaks.
    If you like something in a can carry a can opener or a knife with one and remove it into a plastic bags.
    T/w , spoons, plastic bags can all be washed in a gas station bathroom.

Cb
  15. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
  16. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Seriously. It has carbs. It has protein. It has a ton of calories. No matter how tired or dehydrated I am, I can always stomach Trail Mix. In a pannier, they are fine. In your pocket- not so much :D

Some people are huge proponents of beef jerky too.
  17. DaymienRules

DaymienRules Traffic target

Oddometer:
    learned about these from another inmate

[​IMG]

under $3 each. Add pack of tortillas, and if feeding two people I'll add in a can of black or pinto beans.
  18. lanceputnam

lanceputnam Hayden's Dad

Oddometer:
    Field stripped MRE's and some form of instant carbs (gel, juice, cliff bars, etc...)
  19. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    tuna packs flavored and natural

1/2 strength gator-aid

trail mix

mixed nuts

protein bars

spam foil packs

flavored potato packs (require water and heat)

crackers

extras from purchased meals as suggested

my dehydrated foods (mh, coleman,, etc) are for emergency use only.
  20. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    theres no need to spend $$ on special camping/hiking food, assuming you will have the facility to boil a pint or two of water, supermarket shelves are packed with dried goods that pack small and light, taste good and keep you fuelled.
    there are always plenty of noodles, pastas and rices to choose from,
    other favourites are instant mashed potato flakes (especially in bacon or fried onion flavour), instant porridge, jerky flaked and added to rice is quite nice, we have stuff called "beanfeast" here, dried soya meat substitute, (looks like dry mouse crap but rehydrates into fake beef mince+gravy. sounds awful but its really nice)

pillsbury cinnamon twists are in a big tube but light and a total luxury after a hard day.