klim how to select?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by blakken, Aug 24, 2013.

1. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Hi i want to buy i klim jacket and pants.
    But i cant figure out what i need and what suit my needs.

i dont have a store so i can try klim.

I haw to buy on internet.

I drive a 990 adv-r mostly like an enduro bike.
    in winter i like to take it out on snowmobile tracks.( -15 celsius)

i drive in very hot and cold wheater 2-3 times a year i go for a longer drive.

i mostly use a full body armor jacket under the clothe.

i would like to hear yours idea on what meets my need.
  2. Louie_Doggs

Louie_Doggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the last few months ive been using the more affordable Klim Traverse gear with a pressure suit and a jersey over that
    . Good waterproof gear that I can add layers underneath if its cold or roll up jacket and put in my bag when it gets hot or on
    the slow stuff. This has been the best setup ive used for dealing with hot and cold weather and the changing of body
    temperature when terrain changes
  3. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the traverse too. It fits a little baggy in the chest and stomach to make room for a cheat protector if you are so inclined. It's been really good so far. I've been through some pretty heavy rain and stayed dry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  4. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I had the traverse outfit, this year I bought the adventure pants and a badlands jacket.
    opinions...
    traverse: was a great outfit for going out and riding my husaberg 450. Light, comfortable, roomy, dry in the rain, pretty tough. fairly well ventilated. Worked great over my endure gear. (pressure suit, knee guards etc

Adventure pant: heavy, snug fitting,Dry, warm(although well ventilated) Comfy, although heavy enough to need suspenders. Tough as hell.

Badlands jacket: HEAVY, pretty snug fitting, water bladder is hard to use, Great protection, great fit(if you are skinny and kinda lanky) well vented, dry,

Overall, when I go ride my 950, I wear the adventure/badlands. it feels like it would protect me well in a serious get off.

When I go more aggressive dual sporting on the 450, its the traverse. Its not as protective, but its a lot lighter, and I can move better in it.

hope this helps.

And then the fit....

make sure you order from somebody with a good return policy1
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim Traverse, Overland and Latitude jackets are tight in the forearms if you are wearing body armor under it. I found this to be the case and this is what I wear:
    http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/extreme-harness-adventure/2347

If you are between sizes, say between a medium and large, then you probably won't have a problem if you go to the larger size. Even the Klim jersey is this way. I've contacted Klim about this and hopefully they make their gear bigger in the forearms. The sizing just isn't right in that regard across much of their gear.

Crashworthiness: It's good stuff. I've tested that!

I've owned the Traverse jacket and pants but have tried on all their gear. I now have the Overland jacket and pants. Had the forearms of the jacket altered for a better fit. (No, I'm not a huge bodybuilder type).

This gear is expensive. And like buying a helmet, you should try it first. Get some discount airfare and travel somewhere where you can spend a day trying on several items. Despite being made in Asia, Klim is quality stuff.
  6. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at Klim as well. I was looking at the Badlands jacket, but the price (cough!) was tough to take. Then I ran across a rider at a KTM shop who was wearing the Latitude. The jacket was very impressive. Quality build all around. It was heavy, but it was also well ventilated. The rider said the jacket was hot in traffic but fine otherwise, and he felt that it would survive a crash without a problem. I need a jacket that I can wear in all conditions, and that's the jacket I'll probably go to.

Just buy from a reputable dealer that has a decent return policy in case you aren't happy with the fit.
  7. Elusion

Elusion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding for a week in my Overland Jakcet and Pants on my 990. I've done street and dirt. It's been about 85 deg F with no rain.

Sizing: I followed Klim's Size Chart and ordered online. Fit is great. Keep in mind they make "regular" and "tall" pant lengths so just make sure the Waist fits right. Mine fit great in the Waist but are a little too long for my taste but getting the right length would have meant getting TOO big of a waist. (knee armor is adjustable)

I wanted something that I could easily remove the Integrated Armor and wear a pressure suit. Overland works great for this. As someone said above; the forearms are a bit tight with a pressure suit but not a deal breaker IMO. Remember it's a "Shell" so no insulation; you wear your own base/mid layers if you get cold. I've just been wearing it with a T-shirt.

Jacket:
    PROS: Fits great. It's comfortable. It doesn't flap around on the highway. Zipper pulls work great with gloves. Vents can be Zipped while wearing the Jacket. When moving, I can feel "coolness" NOT a breeze but it makes it confortable in the climate I'm in.
    CONS: I don't feel air moving in the Jacket with the vents opened. I haven't gotten hot but I was just expecting to feel a breeze. Pockets are smaller than I expected.

Pants:
    PROS: High quality. Vents are great. Nice pocket with good size. I like the leather inner leg.
    CONS: I don't really like the velcro cuffs. I like to make them tight around my boots (SIDI Adv) but I run out or velcro/there isn't a lot of velcro surface area. A couple times the cuff has opened while riding. Not a big deal. Also, they are a little baggy from the knee down but that could be because I'm short.
  8. creidADVrider

creidADVrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tooooooooo expensive
  9. rolandska

rolandska Around Town Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait till you get the bill for your first helicopter ride that the gear would have most likely prevented:deal
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    I have med Adv rally jacket and large Badland pants.

The Adv rally jacket is built for under armour hence whatever size you normally are go one down for that.

The badlands pants are great, more road orientated than the adv pant, the adv pants are designed around standing, the Badlands are designed for a combo of standing and sitting.

That is what I wear and I am extremely happy with both and yes they are waterproof.
  11. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rally Jacket has been discontinued. The Overland pants mentioned above-I also agree about the Velcro. After I test out my altered Overland Jacket, I might send the pants out to eliminate the Velcro and put in a zip up on the side like on my Dainese pants, which I like.

These systems really evolve do they not?

For me, it has become about the weight. That extra ounce saved over a grueling haul adds up at the end of the day. So, to my mind the best system is a good, lightweight Gortex shell reinforced at the impact points. Armor is a separate system strapped to the body so it doesn't move around. As temperature drops, you add layers under the Gortex shell. At the other extreme, a reinforced, mesh jersey is worn over the armor for maximum cooling. Sure, Badlands Pro is the best jacket but do I want all that weight on a hot day to give me protection? No. Well, I'm sure the evolution will continue.

Final note: I know for a fact that Klim does not just blow off your feedback. Their R&D knows that it is us the user that buys the features we want. So they are more than glad to take our "expert" advice and profit from it. So let 'em know.
  12. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re pant sizing.

I wear a 36" waist in my work pants, they are double knee brown duck carharrts. A 34" is too tight as is most other pants (levi's ect).

My Dakar pants are 34 long and fit perfect, can even have a big meal and not need to unbutton them.

So, their pants run a little big.

That is all.
  13. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klim Valdez - it's the snowmobile jacket but I find it works great on moto.
    Very durable, light and i run my own armor.

( i had before traverse and tried the rally jacket )
  14. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    i like the valdez parka...
    on klims webbsite its in the motorcycle section to.

i tink valdez parka and traverse pants is the way?
  15. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    I would like Klim gear too but it's hard to justify that amount of cash with out trying it on first.
  16. Afterdark

Afterdark Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the jackets and pants connect in any way? I've use KTM stuff to date and the top and bottom join with short zip at the back.
  17. Elusion

Elusion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Overland do not connect
  18. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    no i don't think they do.

is it coming some new klim adventure clothe?

i have read some where that it will.

and on klims site all size is out off stock
  19. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klim's website has the best descriptions in order of price and what they are designed for. Expensive stuff but will provide years protection and comfort. I went with the badlands pro set and could not be happier.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Overland jacket & Traverse pants IMO