FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. OutbackDreamer

OutbackDreamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The old FJ was a classic, amount of torque was awesome - there's a moderate uphill corner I know that I could go around in fifth on the FJ1200 (including my mrs and full luggage), where I'd need to downshift to 3rd on a VFR800 (same cargo - pillion and luggage) to get out of the corner.

Yeah, my mate did throw a curve ball - but he was comparing his experience riding a Gen 1 I think - which belonged to another guy we both know who is short (closer to the 5'0" mark than the 6'0":lol3 - so could of been the way it was setup)
    We don't get the electronic suspension down under so it's a non-issue:cry - something about mr Yamaha being concerned about keeping the price down:deal

I've looked at an Australian FJR1300 forum and a couple of others - some nice information. I tried to find if there are known mechanical or electrical issue - there doesn't seem to be much or I didn't look hard enough?
    I'll keep you in mind if I need clarification or any info:clap.

Essentially I've made my mind up to get the bike (other bikes don't suit my requirements - especially taking into account I'll have 2 bikes in the garage, a first for me) - just waiting on the finances being organised:deal
  2. QueenslandKen

QueenslandKen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Outbackdreamer,
    You will not be disappointed, it's a great bike.

Just ordered a 2014 myself.
    Spent yesterday ordering items such as a fender extender, headlight protectors, service manual etc.
    All the bits that will not transfer across from my Gen 2.

Might see you on the Aussie Forum if you join up !

Ps Trading my new Trophy on the Gen 3, not very happy with it.
  3. OutbackDreamer

OutbackDreamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QueenslandKen,
    It's just a waiting game for me now - it'd be embarassing if the finances fell through, though I'd be very surprised if it did.
    But once I actually have the bike in my hot little hand I'll look at joining a then - have even made my mrs aware of the 2 yearly interstate forum meetups (attacks I think they're called).
    I was only initially looking at getting a top box & a GPS; everything else can wait until I've ridden it for a while.Though the headlight protector and service manual sound like a good idea to get them initially as well.

The trophy doesn't really appeal to me, so pretty much discounted it straight away - essentially the same reasoning for the BMW RT, Honda ST & Kawasaki 1400 (though for the Kawasaki the width and the exhaust when the panniers are removed was my problem). There seems to be quite a few that have gone from an FJR to Trophy, then back again within a short time frame - kind of says something about the FJR.

Gaz
  4. DiamondBack

DiamondBack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That it might! I wondered about those, too. I was given a new windscreen when I loaded it. I was digging the handguards, too. Weather still isn't totally cooperating so I'm not too bummed about not riding, yet
  5. danh600

danh600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 2013 FJR yesterday. Had a nice 50 mile ride home.

I'll give a review but keep something in mind. I have been riding about 5 years. I have close to 70,000 miles on a bike but 99% of those miles are on Honda cruisers. I have ridden a few other bikes but briefly. I have only ridden one other Sport touring bike. I rode an ST1300 for a few miles. So really I don't have a varied background for comparison. This is my review from my limited perspective.

First seating position. I really wanted a bike with closer to a standard seating position. I really think I am going to like it. There was a little too much weight on my wrists. I am not going to change anything just yet. I am going to learn the bike for a couple thousand miles before I make changes. The stock seat was not bad at all. I am use to the stock seats on a Honda cruiser. They are terrible and you HAVE to replace them. I am going on a couple long rides on the stock seat before I replace it on this bike.

Now for riding the bike. It doesn't feel like a heavy bike. It's lighter then my VT1300 Interstate. It has a really nice balance to it at a stop. I was surprised how balanced it was a soon as you start moving. Very easy bike to control at parking lot speeds. Easier to maneuver in a parking lot then my cruiser. I feel very comfortable on this bike even if I can't flat foot it.

The engine has a nice hum to it. I really like the feel of it. Seems like it's going to have a ton of torque. I didn't get on it since it's not broken in. I did notice that it felt a little buzzy at higher rpms. But then again I really had no idea what a in-line 4 was suppose to feel like. It's smoother then a v-twin.

Wind management was great compared to my other bikes. I notice lots of helmet noise but that because the bike is so quiet. The big thing for me is there is no buffeting at speeds. My cruiser has terrible turbulence at speed. I ride with a full helmet and my VT1300 shakes my helmet at speed. The FJR did none of that. I also ride in South Florida so I am really going to like the adjustable windshield. Maybe that will help some in the heat.

Handling of course was great. Coming from a cruiser background the FJR feels like a formula one car. I will be having fun for a long time before I push this bike anywhere close to it's limits. I am tired of dragging floorboards on a spirited ride. I will not be dragging hard parts on this bike for a long time.

Executive summary - WOW. I love this bike. Can't wait for a long ride. Can't wait till I have a few miles on this bike and become one with it.

My bikes are like night and day. So I am going to keep both for awhile. We shall see how much I ride the cruiser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride!! My riding background is a bit more diverse but your review pretty much nailed the FJR for me. Handlebar risers took care of the wrist issue and it's a great mile eater.

Enjoy!!
  7. QueenslandKen

QueenslandKen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Outbackdreamer,
    There are a few Forum members in WA, they have the occasional meet and greet.
    We have an "Assault" every 2 years, a State of Origin and Finder Freeze every year. The Assault was in WA last year, next year down in SA.

Another few items I may be so bold to suggest is a radiator guard and fender extender, good insurance with our great roads.

The Trophy is a great bike, just that I have a few issues with it.
    I posted a few of them on fjrforum.com and the Aussie forum.

Hope it all works out for you, my bike is in the next container.

Cheers
  8. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    All fine bikes butt nun are in the same league as the FJR when you factor in maintenance, performance, reliability 'n comfort. :happayThe C14 has poseur appeal fer be'in fastest, the Buy Mor Warranty R12RT, or 16GT have euro trash panache, the has ??? and the Honda, well nothing.
    Mama Yamaha dun hit a home run w/ this bike; why it ain't changed much in 10 years. :thumb
    Great choice. I dun been ride'n fer 'bout 4 decades 'n 'bout half a million hard-ass miles, 'n there ain't no better bike fer commuting, touring, twisties, or tear'in up goat trails. :clap
  9. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tried to search for this but not getting the info I need.

Considering going from a 2005 R1200GS to an FJR1300. My budget is about 9k max but I'd like to spend less.

A Gen 2 2006 model is for sale with 25k miles near me. That made me wonder if there are any significant differences between the 2006 and 2010, which would probably be about the newest I could afford.

Any quick summary would be good to have.

--Kevin
  10. danh600

danh600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf
  11. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee

Oddometer:
    The early Gen II bikes had some issues with the throttle being very sensitive towards the 'closed' side... made the bike hard to handle at low speed. This was fixed by the 2008 model year with a revised throttle cam/curve, so that it took more throttle movement to get the same amount of throttle body butterfly movement. There were also issues with the grounding on the wiring harness that were mostly fixed by the 2008-2009 timeframe. Of course, there are recalls to handle the ground issue, and your local Yamaha dealer should be able to tell if they were applied to any candidate bike, and if not to apply them at no charge to you.

I picked up a new-old stock (new, in the crate) '09 AE in 2012 from a dealer for a very good price... a couple thousand below retail and none of the extra handling/dealer fee crap. I would not buy anything earlier than 2008 unless the throttle assembly had been swapped for one with the new curve... that seems to be a big pain point. The FJR is a powerful bike and a twitchy throttle doesn't help the unexperienced. so, to sum it up, $200-$300 on a new throttle assembly, and have the dealer apply any recalls, and you are at the 2009 level.

Other than those issues, the Gen II bikes are fairly bullet-proof given adequate maintenance. IMO the best sport-tourer out there... lighter than the Concours and ST1300, cheaper than most of the European sport tourers, and as others have pointed out, Yamaha hasn't materially changed the bike since 2006 since it got the big things right.
  12. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Kevin, if you have some patience, you will be able to get a really good deal on an FJR.

I recently purchased a 2010 FJR with only 1,551 miles on it, for $9,500. I know that's above your budget, but there are great deals to be had.

I previously had a 2006 FJR, and you should be able to find one with >10,000 miles for approximately $7K. That leaves some money in your budget for accessories. Or a trip.

And there are very, very few differences between the 2006 and 2010 models. In fact, all the 2006-2012 bikes are nearly identical.
  13. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with the touchy throttle, my 06 keeps me focused. Since its an AE the throttle also controls clutch application in first gear. I hope to address this soon.
    In the past I rode a geared down yz400f on trail rides and while training my wife to ride.
    Just a degree or two would launch that thing!
  14. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You have got a very fine piece of machinery, and your decision to wait a couple of thousand miles, before making any mods to it, speaks volumes about you.

When I first got mine, I had wrist, knee, ankle, and back pains. Having been away from riding for many years, I just chocked it up to getting back into riding shape. To make a long story short, no changes and I can ride hundreds of miles, with only the occasional butt stretching. Love this bike!
  15. danh600

danh600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be a silly question.......but...

The electrical accessory is inside that small box on the front left cowling. When you plug a phone into it you can't close the door because of the heat. Plus I don't really see a slot or hole where you can close a door and leave a wire coming out of the box. Do you guys just plug something in and ride with that door open? I am thinking I might want a handle bar mounted GPS at some point.
  16. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Dunno 'bout the heat, I've charged mah phone many a time without the bike catch'in on fire. :dunno But I too have a cheap ass Garmin nuvi 200 (Car gps) I got mounted on the handle bar. I used mah utility knife tah make a notch fer the charging wire to come through under the lid. :wink:
  17. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the comments and link. For a balance of depreciation vs mostly resolved little issues I'm focused on a 2008-09, though the cost of this 2006 is tempting ($7k ask). I'll keep looking. I need to start trying to sell the GS anyway to free up some cash.

Again, thanks for the info.

EDIT: danh600 - WOW !

--Kevin
  18. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I run a Garmin Nuvi plugged into the accessory jack in the locking panel and gently close the door. It doesn't mash the cord too much and everything's working fine.
  19. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    There is a small hole in the bottom of the box, I believe. I will double-check when I get home. I'm pretty sure there's a rubber washer/grommet with a hole in it. I could be wrong though.
  20. QueenslandKen

QueenslandKen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For us Aussies, the FJR ES is being released today in Australia, 21-3-14, at the Brisbane Bike Show.
    Considering last Wednesday I was told it wasn't being imported and put a deposit on an A.

It's about $2000.00 more than the A, approx $28500 on road.

All AOK, the dealer is finding out when the container arrives.