Re-entry "refresher course"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Meathead, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    I've been off two wheels for over 9 months now, and will have been for over a year before this is over. Just before I was taken out of this game, I was planning to take another MSF course, though I'd not yet determined what/where/when/which best suited me and my riding style/habits.

I'm expecting to be riding again around the first of the year, and would like to have these plans all ironed out for my re-entry. I think an MSF course is a no-brainer, but I'd also like to take some sort of more advanced, more targeted course, if available. I don't doubt this has been discussed here, ad nauseum, but it never hurts to go over it again. :D

I know there are a bunch of MSF instructors here, but any of you who've taken a course of any sort, please chime in with your impressions.

:ear
  2. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    well, you could take an ERC, but not sure how much you'd get out of it.
    do a track day! no better way to "get yer bottle back" as my Irish buddies say.

glad to hear you're coming back to riding! :thumb
  3. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Hey Meathead! :wave I did a short ride the other day and reverted to BRC skills--weird, but they just sorta kicked in...it wasn't like "instincts" were completely there. :scratch It's only been 7 mos. for me, and yet I found myself riding kind of awkwardly. Rode once more yesterday and I do not feel razor-sharp in traffic. :dunno Legs are still iffy so it'll be a while...or more...if ever...before I"m officially "back on the bike".

Check out these guys: www.motomark1.com He's a friend of mine who is a lead trainer for our state's highway patrol. He offers advanced "street survival" stuff, which is a notch or so above the ERC, but he's really good at custom-tailoring stuff for the students. He took the MSF instructor class with me. He also teaches dirt, and works with the big bikes as well as the woods bikes, so he's a good resource for that.

He can probably tailor something for you that takes into account any phyiscal limitations.

If not motomark, then an ERC would be cool...let the instructor know what you want to get out of it.
  4. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:

I'm definitely gonna do an ERC as soon as I'm back up, to brush up my rusty skills, if nothin' else. I've thought about track days, but wonder how applicable the skills practiced there really are to my day-to-day riding. :dunno
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    :stupid Track day or track school:freaky
  6. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    That's great! :clap I didn't know you were even trying yet. :super I hope you can get back to some more regular riding, and feel comfortable doing it. :thumb

That's exactly the kind of thing I was lookin' for, and not too far away. :evil I'll file that one away and get in touch with 'em when I know better when this is gonna happen. :chompingatthebit
  7. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meat -

The ERC is an excellent refresher course and I think anybody would benefit from taking it at least every couple of years. It's not that the skills are new, but what you really get as a value addition is the feedback from the RiderCoaches ('instructors") who can help to point out incorrect actions and positively reinforce the right ones. I am teaching an ERC next Wednesday, but it will be on Arizona - anyway, you would be welcome to attend if you were closer....

I am a big fan of track training provided that it is structured and you are on the right sort of bike to achieve your goals. I particularly value the California Superbike School ("Keith Code School") level one and two training. These two levels can be taken back-to-back in a single weekend and really provide an excellent foundation for both street riding, and even to give you a beseline for subsequient track days that you may decide to do on your own.

There are a lot of good books out there, but I think your approach is right - get some training in the saddle. Motorcycling involves motor skills, and in that respect, it is a lot like learning a new sport. You could read all the books in the word on badminton, but until you get out on the court with a raquet and a shuttlecock, you really have not made any significant process on actually being able to play.

Best of luck and ride safe.
  8. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    That sounds like good stuff, though I have absolutely zero interest in ever doing any racing myself. What do you mean by "the right sort of bike to achieve your goals?" Am I right to ASSume that that would be whatever bike I intend to be riding every day?
    :ear

I'm confident the basics will come right to me, but, as stated, I'd intended to get some more advanced training before this happened anyway. I'm just thinkin' it'd be nice to have all the "homework" out of the way when the time comes to actually go bike shoppin'. :evil

Thanks. :thumb
  9. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    one good point mentioned is to let your ERC coach know what you want to get out of the ERC.

as for the track, any bike will do. more along the lines of getting your smoothness back, versus any real "race training". Like others have said, depends what you want to get out of the track.
  10. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Hey Meat, you fat bastard! Remember, that is how I greeted you when you introduced yourself here after you joined the site? Glad you're feeling good enough to start planning for the next ride! You might want to check out Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic www.leeparksdesigns.com

It is done in a parking lot, but focuses on more advanced skills than the MSF courses. I've never taken it, but people I know who have give it a thumbs up.

I think the best thing you can do is start riding again. Slowly and deliberately. Just go out for a spin on some deserted roads and get the feel back. Many up north routinely stop riding for 4-5 months in winter and it takes a bit to shake the rust off, but you'll get back in the zone quicker than you think. Getting back to riding is like falling off a bike, you never forget how to do it! [​IMG] After you get comfortable and get the coordination back, then go for some training. Track schools are fun, and relate mostly to keeping the bike under control at elevated speeds. They will definitely build skills, but not do much for the mental processes involved in dealing with traffic, etc. Larry Grodsky had a school as well, and I think it is still running (stayingsafe) or something similar to that. I saw a guy named Jim Ford at the MOA rally www.ridersworkshop.com and he has a similar school running in the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mts. where he shadows you and offers advice to help you improve. I have no stake in any of these enterprises, just thought I'd suggest some options.

Heal fast man, I do want to meet you at some point! I may be down in your area in mid-October (celebrating my birthday with a 10 day ride) and will look you up if the timing works out. Say hi to your hot girlfriend too, you've shown there is hope for us ugly people!

George
  11. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meat -

The Keith Code school can be done on your streetbike and many people do use their streetbikes in the course - a GS or an RT would be fine, and you would be grouped accordingly. I think some people go into that course and use the school's Kawi superbikes and really get an experience which doesn't traslate as directly to their street riding experience. You have the option of using their bike or your bike.

I agree with the post on the Lee Parks school - it is also excellent. If you have been off the bike for a while you may consider doing an ERC first and then Lee Parks a few weeks later, sort of a phased approach.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :nod

Lots of short rides, daily if possible, don't push it on speed or distance, just become accustomed to operating the machine again. Within a couple of weeks you'll start feeling comfortable and natural.
  13. mwells

mwells Umm...Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
  14. Kbetts

Kbetts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get on your bicycle for 30 minutes a day. Physical fitness training including, balance training, cardio, fine motor control.....yada, yada, yada.
  15. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a rider coach and I second this. I would also add practice looking ahead at least one block while riding your bicycle. If your are really wanting to get the best training for the street nothing beats a pedal bike.

having said that the BRC is the best course that msf offers for old or new riders. The ERC should only be thought of as a refesher. The only track skill that is not important on the street is passing and shifting. Of these two most track day limit your passing. There is a slight differnce in braking on a track day and the street. this is from high speed all of the slowing force is generated by the front brake the rear is used to square up a corner or when you are far enough ahead for entertainment.
  16. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    You can come ride with me, I even got a spare bike you can ride. :evil

I think a track day is an excellent suggestion even if you never plan to race. :deal
  17. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. All sounds like good advice. Some short trips right off the bat, to get my "legs," then an ERC, then some kinda more advanced class/course shortly thereafter.

I can't wait to ride again. :ricky

You're on! :thumb
  18. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I suggest not ever riding again. That will only increase the chances that we will meet someday :yikes
  19. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Yeah...we're at the point where we needed to figure out if we should keep the GS or sell it since it's not being used. :bluduh We looked at some other bikes that are shorter, narrower...but they don't make anything any easier, so I figured might as well hang on to the GS a bit longer and see how things go. It's still a question mark. SWMBO is being really cool and not pushing me to sell it, though it'll be a sacrificial lamb for medical expenses if need be.

I knooooow what you mean. :nod

The foggy-headed feeling cleared up. I can't get on and off the bike w/o a lot of comedy/drama (I look like a monkey mating with a football) and my legs aren't able to get my feet on and off the pegs as well as they need to. But I'll figure this out. :ricky

The funny part is when I get somewhere, I can't get off the bike--I can't walk around. :poser

It's not so much the time off the bike as it is getting a slow, hurt body to respond like we're used to it responding. I think for riders who have been seriously injured there's a loss of fine movement that's been damped by injury that takes a bit of time to adapt to.

Start out slow, give it some time. It'll come back. I think you'll do fine. :thumb
  20. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Hmmm . . . you've got a point there. Maybe I'll got check out www.atvingnakedinohio.com instead. :D

ps: :fyyff