Merlin F2 Sidecar Dealer Stateside?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Qwik, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there anybody importing Merlin's into the States? Im in the planning stages for a Hayabusa/Merlin Outfit. Its time. May just get rid of my truck and only keep the Hack and My Regular Bikes.
  2. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Can you get Merlins that go on the right side of the bike?
  3. miggins11

miggins11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merlin don't do a right hand chair. They have been approached by European builders but they say it would be too costly to tool up again for the other side.
  4. kamakaziozzy

kamakaziozzy 3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude. It's a Merlin. Both sides are right :D
  5. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Is it legal to run a left side car in the states?
  6. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes
  7. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Thanks Claude. If you hear of any........ guess I need to buy a second Hayabusa before I get the chair.
  8. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya know with a Busa' tug you're going to do some passing, so it's going to be a little tougher to see around that FedX truck when you're shoved over to the right . And sticking that pretty Merlin out into oncoming:eek1 traffic might not be real healthy either.
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    With a left mount chair in the States always carry a passenger. That way when you want to pass you can look at the passenger first. If the passengers eyes are very large or if the passenger is screaming loudly do not pass as there is probably some oncoming traffic that could be a problem.
  10. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl
  11. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Yep, that’s how it works. I recognize this. Especially when you ride behind a lorry (a truck) on narrow roads. On the other hand it has some advantages, but I have to admit I´m not sure on which side of the Hayabusa the kickstarter is mounted. :evil
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    No, serious, when riding on the other side of a narrow road, it’s just strange that sometimes you almost hit a hedge with your handlebars. <o:p></o:p>
    Also the difference in camber of the road is feeling weird then for a while.

But this has to do with riding on the other side of the road, not with a chair on the other side. I bet the Brits feel the same coming to the European continent.

Over here it's legal to ride with lefthanded cars too. I don't see any legal objections for a chair on the left. It seems that only in countries where they drive on the left side of the road, it's not allowed to have the chair on the other side.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Richard-NL :bmwrider
  12. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have managed to ride OK in Europe on the "wrong" side of the road since 1977 with a UK mounted sidecar. Few issues, but nothing serious as long as you concentrate. Sometimes the big thing has been adapting back to riding on the left when returning, but again a little more concentration helps.

Some years back a car driving friend here in the UK requested driving advice as he was about to take an initial trip into France. I "advised" that the best strategy was to get out early on roads around his home and try driving on the "wrong" side of the road to get used to the idea.

He didn't smile, but I thought he'd got the joke. A short while after he came back to me seriously asking for further advice before trying out my suggested orientation method. Fortunately I persuaded him that I was joking before he actually embarked on a "training run".
    :rofl
  13. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    Hehehe,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Reminds me (if you don’t mind) about this small probably 30 year old anecdote. It must have been somewhere between 1979 and 1982. Actually the year Jack Middelburg (500 cc GP privateer) won the Grand Prix of Silverstone in front of many factory riders with their works bikes. (Roberts, Mamola, Sheene etc. )
    [Edit: it actually was 1981, Jack won the race, you tube and google is your friend ]
    <EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/BhkBEHyrryM?fs=1&hl=nl_NL allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Great time for us, as you will understand.
    Never mind, getting off-topic, but I already was. We were there with a Dutch troop, with anything between Bimota SB3, fast Suzuki’s and Packet&McNab Honda’s. Solo bikes. Great times. :freaky
    Once on a evening – still light - , we were going somewhere (cannot recollect whereto, probably for a meal or whatever) and my mate Hans, on his GSX1100 is leading, but on the wrong side of the road in great scenery and perfect curving narrow roads. Me, following with a Yoshimura Suzuki 750, trying to get his attention with lights and horns. He thinks I want to race. Mad Max action, very fast (but on British roads, not the Aussie ones). After some 25-30 miles he gets it. The green double-decker bus opposite of him, reminds him he has to ride on the left. Oops. :huh
    If find riding on the other side not a problem. Just when you leave from a place, or on a roundabout you have to think a littlebit. It’s quite easy.
    Sorry for being off-topic. I just had a 30 year old memory.
    Richard-NL :bmwrider<o:p></o:p>