"Short Wheelbase DS Bikes"

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DrunkWombat, Aug 8, 2006.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Seems as though DW is looking for a longer haul dual purpose/tourer for the missus... something like the F650 would be perfect (even the suzuki Freewind could be worth a look?) given that the mix will be 75% asphalt and 25% gravel ROADS.

Not a dual sport "offroader" as RJF and I were on about... but to follow on the train of thought I was following... Here's a couple of pic's of what in my estimation is a perfect 250cc off road/adventure tourer...

The Yam TTR 250 Raid... elstart, larger tank (side tanks also available) good luggage rack, excellent headlight/windscreen/protector, hand guards etc.

Just whack a wooly seat cover on it (seat height 855mm) and your away...! The stock gearing is good for a relatively easy transport top speed of 120 clicks (without ringing its neck)... just the ticket for a fem fatale who's starting out to find the pleasures of adventure trail riding...:thumb

I'm on the hunt for one of these for my Malin...:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. FuddyLogic

FuddyLogic Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer:
    Hijack alert...

Hey Troy....any info on those side tanks? are they readily available?
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Funny thing that... Fuddy :evil but merely mentioning the words "auxilliary" and /or "side fuel tanks" in the same sentence around here, usually creates an information feeding frenzy (regardless of motorcycle make/model involved) that is reminiscent of dinner time at the Pirahna pond!! :wink: It's a bit like putting a "free beer for K1W1's today" sign - outside the Coogee bay hotel! :lol3 Overswamped with potential customers from the word go!

As far as the availability of these tanks go... I know that in the late 90's a lot of Jappy pilots used this bike for both the Oz Safari and even some other European/African rallye events. (That's where I first got the idea of finding one of these bikes as a potential mount for Malin... ie: short jockey syndrome :wink: ). Some of these bikes had really neat side tanks made in Aluminium (as you can see the standard plastic sideplates are moulded in the form of a tank) with the filler either side of the rear fender... a la' early LC4 rallye (like Pezz's 640).

I think that Yamaha Japan actually released a rare (even more) limited version of the limited version TTR 250 Raid - that had these side tanks and a close mounted front fender... that was designated the TTR 250 "Safari" (IIRC??). So these tanks could possibly be sourced out of Japan...?:dunno

For those ingenious AdvRider fabricators amongst us...:wink: it would'nt (should'nt?) be too difficult to use the original "Raid" side plates as a model and - either cut a template and weld some up in alloy... OR - flop a mould off them and do some in fibreglass/resin? I saw somewhere around here that there was a (US?) guy who'd made some nice side tanks at home for his 950 Adventure using such a method...???

But if you're like me (lazy in the shed fabrication department)... I'd go for a "store bought" option if it was available!
  4. FuddyLogic

FuddyLogic Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer:
    :rofl Troy...thanks for that. Have got the bum tank on mine at the moment. But would be nice to carry the fuel lower, and out of the way so I can throw gear across the back. Had just never seen the side tanks on the TTR's before.
  5. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what the wheelbase of a bike has to do with seat height? Wheelbase is measured from the centre of the front axle to the centre of the rear axle and a high or low seat could be fitted to a bike with a long or short wheelbase.

David hunn
  6. SDU

SDU Adventurer

Oddometer: