Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by acejones, Apr 19, 2008.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three of us just returned from a trip to Veracruz. We crossed at Reynosa. Due to road blockage we were unable to get into the Banjercito checkpoint and ended up in the one way lanes to the U.S. We were unable to return our stickers and get our receipts. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue ?
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Since you didn't want to cancel your permits before crossing back into the US, and didn't want to ride back across the border after entering the US to cancel your permits. . . I'd say just bring the same bikes back the next time you cross and all will be fantastic.
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I would agree with that generally; however, I may ride a different bike on the next trip and one of my riding buds may sell his current bike and buy another. I hope there is another solution.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You might try contacting a Mexican embassy or more. I tried this a few years ago with a similar self-induced problem, but had no luck. Maybe your clover has more leaves.

I once dreamed that fresh lobster cost $1 per lb...
  5. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is a solution,,,go back into Mexico with the same bike within 6 months and exit and cancel the permit or don't plan to return again with a bike.
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you think I could just return it the same way I got it (FedEx) and just be done with this.
  7. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, they have to eyeball the bike. The last time I turned in a permit they videotaped the bike during the cancellation process to have a record. Dan
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been there when they looked at the bike and another time they just accepted the document.
    This whole thing is a mess. Of course, I did it to myself.
  9. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want dual citizenship for my bikes!
  10. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    they are already jap/american
  11. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Last year crossing at Nogales, I witnessed two guys who hadn't turned in/cancelled previous permits. They were on different bikes than the previous time and they had to sign the title over to their wives. Point is, it doesn't make any difference what you take to Mexico in/on the next time, you are in their computer as not having taken your bike out. You will not be allowed to bring a vehicle in.
  12. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem (same border, I think!). There is nothing that the consulate will do for you (if you ever get ahold of them).

As others have said, the customs official has to physically scan / verify the VIN / actually remove the sticker themselves. I ended up doing a non-so-quick trip to get some tacos in acuna in order to cancel mine.
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Daveg. If I lived as close as you, it wouldn't be so much of a problem. Unfortunately I am twice as far from the border as you.
  14. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Le informo que el tramite para la cancelacion del permiso de importacion temporal es necesario que acuda a cualquier modulo de la franja fronteriza para realizar la cancelación de su permiso, presentando el permiso original y/o la tarjeta de internacion, la motocicleta o vehiculovehículo, el holograma pegado en el parabrisas del mismo, a fin de obtener su certificado de retorno y estar en posibilidades de obtener un nuevo permiso, cuando quiera ingresar nuevamente a territorio nacional, en su caso que usted no puede acudir a los modulos de Banjercito con su motocicleta y que es un requisito indispensable para la cancelacion del permiso, se recomienda que consulte a la autoridad aduanera para que le indiquen si es posible cancelar el permiso y que documentos requiere para ello puede consultar la pagina en Internet www.aduanas.sat.gob.com.mx CIITEVAduanas.sat.gob.mx o llamar al telefonos 011-52-55-58-02-21-85 ò 011-52-55-58-02-07-52 en la Cd. de México para mayor información al respecto.

Agradecemos su atención.
  15. Genghis Swan

Genghis Swan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you either have to take the bike back to the border or get new id. they use your passport number to identify you. renew your passport and you will get a new number. this is probably cheaper then going all the way back to the border.
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting idea. However, I just renewed it last fall. Renewing again might raise some red flags in this country.
  17. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Canadian friend of mine renewed his passport, got a new number and still couldn't get an import permit. He had wrecked his bike in Mexico and the insurance company didn't do what it was supposed to do to cancel his permit so he's been screwed ever since. Dan
  18. BajaPablo

BajaPablo BajaPablo

Oddometer:

Again, the stickers must be turn in to the port of entry that you crossed coming into Mexico. If you don't return the stickers you will be "flagged" on your next crossing when you apply for a permit. You cannot just mail them in as the Border Guards must physically come out and check your machine. They produce a receipt from a hand-held unit that you can take with you as proof of surrendering your permit. You might be able to make it back there again if they flagged your passport, and next time you use your birth certificate. But they are getting much better in the computer-tracking age.
  19. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The above is incorrect and has been covered here many times. They can be turned in at ANY crossing that has a Customs (Aduana) office. They do not have to be turned in to the same Aduana office. Dan
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    dtop1 is correct. I have turned in stickers at different crossings than where I got them. Also, the "border guards" have nothing to do with this. It is representatives of Banjercito. It's an entirely different organization.