Elefant Sightings?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by erappaport, May 24, 2006.

1. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dewey question. I can see the top slider not coming loose, but the bottom one has just the one bolt holding it.
    Have you had any problem with the bottom one on your bike as the chain feeds into it with only the 1 bolt holding ??.

Kurt
  2. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Disregaurd my last post I see how it's works.......

Kurt
  3. flygirl

flygirl n00bius maximus

Oddometer:

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
  4. MC-Leather

MC-Leather Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Very Cool. Just the other day I was looking at the bike thinking it was a finished project... sometimes I'm a fool.... motorcycles are never finished.
  5. donaldlav

donaldlav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dewey,
    Kurt informed me of your chain slide project. Are you still up for orders? If so, I need to replace mine very soon.
    Thanks, Donald LaVigne, Augusta, GA

6. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to here it Dewey. But I understand we both are in the same boat. Going to let mine go also. Good luck on your sale.

Kurt
  7. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll get ahold of you Friday to get the funds to you. I'm sure it will still be around. The sliders will still go with the bike at any rate.

Kurt
  8. MC-Leather

MC-Leather Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I got mine today, they look great!! Thanks.
  9. Gone14s

Gone14s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading Jay's post that he got his I went out to the mail box and mine where sitting there to.......all I can say is WOW! I don't see the chain eating the thing's up in the futre any time to soon.....very nice!

Thanks Kurt
  10. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Dewey V-If you ever make another batch of the chainsliders, I'd like to sign up to purchase one, just for sandbagging for the future.

All- I have a 94 E900 that I acquired in a trade with one of the coolest oldschool moto-guys in my area. I stored the bike for months without even running it, as I planned to sell it and didn't want to fall in love with it or anything.
    Well... too late for that now.
    I did a proper "make-run" on it, and WOW is this thing sweet !!
    For a Ducati, I am so impressed with how it pulls smoothly from low RPM's all the way up to ? higher RPM's than any of my other bikes.
    I like the way they "de-tuned" the 900 2 valve.
    Maybe it is not the raciest Desmodue engine, but seems perfect and practical for this do-all style of motorbike.
    My buddy who traded it to me seems entertained by the whole thing, and I suspect he has known all along that I would end up loving the Elefant.

I think this one must have the starter to battery modification completed because it starts easier than any motorcycle I've ever had. It is like it is already turning under it's own power on the first ignition pulse... instant run.

First thing I'm going to look at is the headlights. I've got a brand new battery in it, and judging visually, they seem weak.
    I've read about a common upgrade for the headlights, so unless y'all tell me differently, I'll probably go the Elefant Adventure Labs route.
    In fact, I'll probably end up ordering a lot from them:deal.

I'm also worried about airflow to the oil cooler with the front high fender.
    Should I drill the back ? Cut some off ? Mount a low fender ?

Exhaust. Is it common to "de-smog/de-catalytic converter" these E900's ? I am assuming yes, but if anyone wants to point out anything I should know about the process, I'm listening. :ear

PS i am an experienced mechanic, but not experienced with Ducatis or Cagivas... yet.

Any advice ?
    Warnings ?
    Virtual High-Fives ?:lol3
    [​IMG]
    thanks,
    -Chadley
  11. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Also, please don't tell me to search the threads.
    I am searching the threads like I was preparing to take the BAR exam or something like that.
    haha
    -Chadley
  12. Bevelhead

Bevelhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike. Welcome to the herd. I would recommend the DDL headlight wiring kit from elefantadventurebikes.com. You can do it yourself but Michael's kit is plug and play and well-designed and built. Your headlights will be much brighter. Clean your fuse contacts and 4-pin plug from the fuses, or better yet, replace the 4-pin with one from Michael as well. Check/clean wiring to the regulator and make sure it's well-grounded. If it hasn't already been replaced, buy a spare regulator from DDL or Rick's Electrics (I think you can get a MOSFET from Rick's now. Won't ever get hot.)

Store the cat and get a new can. I bought a D&D. Some say they're too loud but I get nothing but complements on the sound. OK it drones a bit under the helmet in a tailwind but hey, if it's too loud, you're too old. I'm 51 and I can deal with it.

Keep it full of fresh oil and don't worry about the cooler. Drill it out if it bugs you bad enough.

2V belt motors are as easy to work on as anything out there. And they're more reliable than most with merely common sense maintenance.

If you get near SW Kansas let me know. We can ride the Gyp Hills.

Enjoy! I know you will.
  13. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bevelhead ! :D
    That is just the confidence boost I needed.
    The bike is really running well right now, and I found the misplaced title this morning. I already have it insured, and will have it tagged and legal this week. I appreciate, and will follow your recommendations.
    I'll post pics after the first good ride I take.
    Cheers,
    -Chadleys1

14. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Gyp Hills added to my must-check-out-list.
    Thanks again.
    -CLC

15. donaldlav

donaldlav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dewey, send me an email to the following address when you are ready for payment: donaldlav@yahoo.com
    Looking forward to some durable material for once on the swing arm. Regards, Donald LaVigne, Augusta, GA
  16. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone knows of an Elefant for sale in the eastern US, let me know. It may be just the solution I've been looking for! I was thinking of selling my 1098 and finding an older GS, but if I can stick with Duc and still have a big comfy adventure bike, I'd love it!
  17. Chadleys1

Chadleys1 working on it

Oddometer:
    Got her all inspected, insured, registered and plated... sweet bike !!
    [​IMG]
  18. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    To all you Mahoots out there, this bike will soon be for sale locally and I'd like to give the enthusiast community first crack at owning a great `Fant. Call me at 530-902-1670 or email jerrykap@pacbell.net if you have an interest.

C-ya, Jer :norton
  19. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    I guess you have to click the little yellow arrow to see the photos with the original post...or just get in touch with me and i'll send you some current pics. C-ya, Jer:norton
  20. donaldlav

donaldlav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dewey,
    Just following up on the progress of the Elefant 900 chain slider. Also, there are about 8 Gran Canyon 900 riders actively looking for chain sliders. I don't know if it's worth your time and effort but I do have a list of GC folks who are eager for a replacement. I could provide a new GC slider for a template if necessary.

Thanks again,
    Donald LaVigne
    Augusta, GA