Rigs modified for or built for adventure touring

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by rathackman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rathackman

rathackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like this thread to show some of the rigs people have modified for or built for actual adventure touring. Not so much rigs like stock Urals although they are very cool and make great adventure touring rigs, but other purpose built outfits. I ask since I am planning a solid walled pop-top camper and always would rather not have to reinvent the wheel. I also am interested in any and all additions and mods people have done to their rigs in that regard....

Thanks,
    Brian

Attached Files:

pops likes this.
  2. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian for starting this thread. Am very interested myself to see what others have created for adventure touring.

CCjon
  3. KHJPHOTO

KHJPHOTO Old Man and the Road

Oddometer:
    Well here is mine:

[​IMG]

Love it; however I believe for true "adventure", one that will give you access to some of the more remote areas, higher
    clearance is needed. I have yet to change out the shocks and therefore my clearance is only about 5". If I were to do
    it from scratch, I'd start with a GSA. That being said, I have thought of throwing in a couple of "sand rails" to climb over
    some of the higher steps.

The rig above does allow access to most of the trails/passes I have found - mostly in SW Colorado and Moab.
    A great freeway flyer. Wonderful to ride 97% of the North America roads that a "wide track" can take.

Kudos again to Claude and the gang for building a magnificent rig!
    pops likes this.
  4. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We build 2-3 adventure touring rigs every week usualy around the BMW GS type bikes and our M72D and M72DX sidecars, we have also done a couple with EZS sidecars. In addition have also built a fully enclosed sidecar set up for sleeping in. Lots of photo's on our web site www.dmcsidecars.com we will be adding many more photo's in the next couple of weeks.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  5. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Just remember everybody has a little different idea of what a
    " Adventure Sidecar " is !!.
    That being said my first one was a Vstrom with a home built car with 14" of ground clearence under the car and ample under the bike.My new one is the same car now on a Suzuki GS850 with less under the bike,but I found that I didn't need a adventure bike to go where MY Adventure was!!.By the way my latest rig is being built ( by myself ) for a RTW trip in 5 years...PICS to follow soon..
    pops likes this.
  6. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's mine - keep it simple. Bar on the chair has since gone.

[​IMG]
  7. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Brian, Please post up some more pictures of that odd looking thing at the top of your blog. I think most of us would like to see more of it.
  8. smelick

smelick Once you hack...

Oddometer:
    Here's the front of it. Yikes!

[​IMG]

-Scott
    Combatscoot and pops like this.
  9. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Mine. :raabia

Not a great "adventure" rig but it gets me out there!

[​IMG]
  10. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of my Vstrom rig.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some of my NEW adventure rig ( still under construction)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  11. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Does ANYBODY know anything about this rig ??.I'm very interested in more details about this outfit,especialy the tank.

[​IMG]
  12. rathackman

rathackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW! You guys are awesome! I love the rigs you have posted and the drool factor is outstanding....! I am also happy that Smelick posted a front view of what my inspiration is....the French arctic rig....the one I just put the rear photo of on my blog! Smelick if you have any other photos of that rig I would HUGELY appreciate seeing them.

Jay, I know you build awesome rigs and I would be very interested in seeing a photo of the 'sleeper' rig you built...will they be on your site? Claude builds most excellent rigs as well and so does Peter in Kamloops, but I am really more interested in some of the home built rigs as I am on a fixed income and am doing my own build.

After doing some research, I am thinking of a resin impreg cardboard box although still looking at things like FRP types and material like twin-walled polycarb sheets that are very strong and lightweight....if they build race cars, airplanes and boats out of these materials, why not a sidecar cabin, methinks?????

If anyone has worked with these types of materials or some I haven't mentioned, I am interested....I am really leaning toward the cardboard as a material for the recycling aspect, as well as the wow factor. Apparently a guy was building racecars with resin impreg cardboard, partnered up with his racing mate and started a company building cardboard prefab construction site buildings....quite successful I am told!:eek1

Anyway, thanks for the great response guys and I would love to have this thread develop....I'll be staying tuned....

I think my idea of adventure touring is just on-off road, off the beaten path and taken a bit further, out of the US and on to other areas of the world....I am a sucker for RTW and such stories....

I recently bought and read Nathan Millward's book "Long Way Home" about his Honda "Postie" CT110 ride from Australia to London...I loved it and not only is he an intrepid adventurer but a damn good young writer.

There are few books about around the world moto trips that I don't own....and when I find one I buy it!
    Brian
  13. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    At last a real hack thread...:clap

Heres my first cheapo unit to see if
    I liked having a Hack hung on the side..

I have just bought a XT660R to build a desent
    unit around....

Attached Files:

pops likes this.
  14. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Alan, that outfit belongs to a mate of mine. I'll dig up some more pics for you.

Dave.
  15. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have a couple from the OCR.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Andrew
  16. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mine on the right Jack's GSX1400 outfit on the left

[​IMG]

Doonie's outfit

There should be some good photos from the 2010 Off Centre Rally kicking around on the Aussie sub forum that may turn you on.

The infamous tuck truck !!!!

[​IMG]
  17. val. h.

val. h. On the wrong planet

Oddometer:
    I aquiered my BMW Rig last November. I didn't build it, but it is almost exactly what I was looking for. It looks like it's been neglected and kept outside for the last few years, when underneath it's in tiptop condition and ready to head off to the frozen wastes right now.

I'm told that it was built deliberately light, hence the Velorex chassis and chair, for use at the Elephant Treffen and other Europian winter rallies. After a bit of searching I found a few pics of it at the Austrian winter rallies of 2007,8 and 10. I'm pleased to see this rusty little rig which looks like it's been to hell and back really does have the pedegree claimed.

I have plans for this little rig too. Soon I'll be making a few of my own modifications, so it can be easily driven by my other half. I'll be adding some sort of Leading Link forks and raising the ground clearence, plus a few other things. Ready for the next chapter in it's life, though probably somewhere a little warmer.

Here's a pic of the previous owner and his mate out there doing it. :clap

Val.

Attached Files:

18. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Here's one I saw in Dawson City when I was riding the '06 Alcan 5000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    johnwesley, Combatscoot and pops like this.
  19. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pops likes this.
  20. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave....I want to modify my tank on the 850 to hold atleast 1 more gallon and if possible 2..