Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodchuckexc

woodchuckexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you could stop by for some Margaritas last night. It was really cool hearing about your upcoming trip and Wnking at dudes for Carly. The offer for a place to sleep and some more Margi's stands for your return trip. Have fun brother!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Setting out
    [​IMG]

At 100+ degrees, I stop to cool off for a swim in Lake Isabella

[​IMG]

My camp spot on the first night in the Sequoia Nat'l Forest

[​IMG]

My view from my camp

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hiking in the land of giants

[​IMG]

Stopping in Pacifica for some tasty margaritas with fellow adventure rider Charley Walter

[​IMG]

Dinner at 231 Ellsworth in San Mateo and some 1991 Gran Riserva Rioja with fellow Baja racer Chris Templin and his GF

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hiking in Pt Reyes along the cold Pacific Ocean

[​IMG]

Alamere Falls dropping 100 feet on to the beach

[​IMG]

another shot

[​IMG]

Went hiking with my buddy and fellow adventure rider Aaron Meyer

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  5. Wayne B

Wayne B What Road?

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed,
    it's Wayne. Kevins bud.
    Nice work on the trip.
    You sure look cool.
    Where's 'barbie'?

I here your up to Alaska soon. Who knows maybe hook up with you on the way thru Ferine with kev.

twist it.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I pick the hottest day of the year to leave for my trip to Alaska. It was 112 degrees going thru Antelope Valley. But my Rev'it Defender suit did an excellent job getting me thru it. I used to swear by my Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit. I still like the Stitch but it does not vent well at anything over 90 degrees.
    So far on a 10,000+ mile ride, things are NOT going as planned and I am loving it!!!!
    I wanted to swim and camp at California Hot Springs but when I rolled up..........it was closed!!!! The sign said it was open every day but THURSDAY!!!! Well I never! So my search for some where else to camp and more importantly, some beers to pour down my dehydrated throat led me to Pine Flat but the little store closed at 5 pm and I was an hour late. So I high tailed it to Ponderosa about 20 miles up a twisty road in search of beer. I pulled up just as the girl was locking the doors for the evening. Well she must have seen it in my eyes how bad I wanted a beer or three so she opened the doors back up and I got my 3 Micro-brews and she practically gave them to me because the cash registers were shut off. Things were looking up. I made my way about 5 miles down a dirt road to find an amazing spot with a view of the Pinnacles to set up camp for the night. Sadly, one of my beers broke open bouncing down the dirt road and soaked the clothes in my saddle bag. But I still had 2 tasty cold beers left so not all was lost.
    So right now, I am in my tent, listening to some music on my i pod player, I have my laptop out and I am down loading the videos I took to today.
    So far, not a perfect start but if every thing went perfect, my trip would be boring!
    Tomorrow, wine tasting in Santa Lucia Highlands!
    scudo likes this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After riding thru 100+ degree heat, it was nice to hit the coast. It was in the 70's while I was wine tasting in Santa Lucia. I visited 3 wineries and then heading up to Pacifica for some Margaritas with my buddy Charley and the wine and dinner that night in San Mateo with my buddy Chris.

Friday, I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge sporting a hang over from all the good wine and margaritas and went for a hike with Aaron at Pt Reyes. After the hike we road our bikes up the coast on some of the best roads in the world. I took a lot of video and I need to figure out how to post video.

That night, I camped along the Russian River and the next morning went in search of a new rear tire for my machine. I found a K60 Scout at Santa Rosa BMW. I broke out my tools to see if I could remove the wheel myself in the parking lot but realized that I couldn't do it with the tools I was carrying. The cool part, a mechanic watched me struggle with the tire and came out and handed me a snap on tool to get the job done. I thought that was really cool. So if you need something for your BMW or Triumph, stop on by. Plus the tire was a reasonable cost and they mounted my tire and had me back on the road right away!!!

Later that day, I hit a couple of more wineries in Dry Creek Valley including Nalle (one of the best Zin's around).

Right now I am in Mendocino in Jim's brother's house along the coast. It is definately a few steps above my tent. I will post some pictures later. I will look forward to hearing from you
    scudo likes this.
  8. Jimmer

Jimmer emboldened lurker

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :*sip*
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My view this morning from bed in Mendocino.......not missing the tent

[​IMG]

Wine tasting in Dry Creek Valley

[​IMG]

Old Zinfandel vines in Dry Creek

[​IMG]

This picture reminds me of some of the girls that I have dated

[​IMG]
    meate8or and scudo like this.
  10. qhfan2

qhfan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm here Babe!
  11. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Great photos - the one of you swimming with the pelicans is great. All the best on your trip.
    PoviBike likes this.
  12. Racer20

Racer20 East West Racing

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Ed..
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I enjoy traveling alone sometimes. It is the best way to meet new people.
    And I love hearing from you regarding my blog and pictures. It let's me know I am not alone and talking to myself. here
    So send me a note and say "hi"
    scudo likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Everyone tells me that I should watch out for the bears or they will eat me.
    Or to watch out for the boggie man because he will sneak up on me in the middle of the night and kill me
    And the people that actually do get out side and travel tell me that I should watch out for things like moose and dear as they will be my biggest threat to my safety (and I will agree with that).
    But there is something that I fear more than anything and I hope to conquer this fear soon enough........and that is getting wet and not being able to get dry.
    I know this might sound crazy but I am from So Cal and we don't see a lot of rain. I know I am going to get rained on on my travels. But when will I have an opportunity to dry things out? Will my tent be waterproof? Will my sleeping bag get wet? And if so, how will it ever dry out if I have to pack those things away?
    So many questions.
    I know once I cross up in to Canada, I am going to see rain and I just need to figure out a system. I don't have the time to wait a day for things to dry. I am not staying in hotel rooms at night to string out my wet clothes in the room.
    I am sure it will not be a big deal but I would love to hear your thoughts on this even if it is to tell me to stop being a big pussy and man up........it's only water!
    scudo likes this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am going to see some rain this week :cry
  16. qhfan2

qhfan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can do this! You and Gordon just told me the story about riding the pre-run in Baja when it was pouring rain! :clap
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes Carmen but I had a warm shower that night
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Riding quads in Mendocino with my buddy Jim

[​IMG]

Cow petting

[​IMG]

Horseback riding on the Ranch with Jim

[​IMG]

More quads

[​IMG]

option 1 for spending the night

[​IMG]

Where I spent the night

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Mendocino tomorrow and heading up the Lost Coast.
    It might be raining
    Wish me luck
  20. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man up - its just water :rofl ...... says he who hates being cold and wet. I hate hate hate it when my tent doesn't dry. So good luck and I hope the sun shines for you - if it doesn't can you motel it and look out at the rain from the spa again?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.