Real world KTM 350 EXC impressions?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GravityDT, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    In relation to the 500 EXC single cam setup, are valve adjustments more difficult with the dual cam setup on the 350 EXC?
  2. vladg

vladg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got my 13 350EXC-F few days ago. Spend few days to make it "ready to race" :lol3 , got rid of all crap like horn and some el.wires, flush gas tank, check/fill some grease for wheel bearings and use a lot of cable ties to organize wires. And did a test ride today. YAHOOOOO :happay
    Its big step forward from my 04WR450F. Its feels light and quick respond on throttle turn. Its was really difficult to stay calm and keep engine in the middle RPM. But have to break in before begin to enjoy it.

Cool bike. So glad I got it.

I had 2 front sprocket with bike - 13 and 14. I install 13 and looks like good compromise.

[​IMG]
  3. axehead

axehead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just use the special bolt to lock the crank and mark the cams before you pull them out. Line up the marks when reassembling.

It's not that hard, I did it myself without issues.
  4. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    recently completed a 3 day 800mile adv type ride on my 350exc. No issues, bike ran great :clap. I would take the same bike in a heartbeat.

Because of the dusty trail conditions I ran a filter skin, but this made starting a bit more difficult due to the increased air flow constriction. There was a 30mi slab section at the end of the route that wasn't very much fun after a long day. My hand was going numb due to the vibs. I was standing most of the time on this ride, but the extra foam padding in the seat was real nice (seatconcepts.com)

Here's some pics from a single post up on a different thread...
  5. ADVTuga

ADVTuga Paulo Lança

Oddometer:
    I´m having a blast with mine !

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m5CGmoFP6EA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rDI4p5f9NKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yWFrNwCuwBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XPKgqiwZrN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. ADVTuga

ADVTuga Paulo Lança

Oddometer:
    One more :D

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YBuLwG4xkWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. ADVTuga

ADVTuga Paulo Lança

Oddometer:
    One more :lol3

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MuPJV-MzEVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I don't have any personal reference points into the new KTM's and there aren't any 350's here to demo. So, here is my concern and my query:

There are 5 times as many posts on the 500 EXC/XC-W than on the 350. The dominant comments are that the 500 makes much more torque, and that it is more useable being accessible lower in the rev band, or more broadly across the rev band. [Also, the 500 has a higher top speed - I could care less.] Apparently, the 500 is outselling the 350 by a lot.

So how peaky is the power band, or rather the torque band, on the new KTM 350's? It has to be tons better than the very low torque WR250R, right? [The major complaint about the WR250R's power is that it is way too high in the rev band, and that the peak torque is insufficient.] How does the KTM 350 torque curve compare with a KLX250S with the 351 Kit added? How does it compare to the torque curve of the DRZ-400E? Or even the old DR350SE?

I've never felt the need for a 500cc class enduro, and can identify with past riders of past bikes who said that after a long day, the big torque of a 450/500 is more tiring that a 250/350 class bike. But I'm not hearing that about the new 500. Given the feedback so far, maybe the 500 is the way to go? Just what is the 350 EXC's niche? I'm just afraid that I'll never use all that the 500 has to offer and I hate buying more bike than I need. (In general, I like smaller, lighter bikes.) I'm searching for middle ground, and will buy KTM if I can find it there. The Japanese bikes just seem to have too many compromises.

So, can any imates who have ridden both the 350 and 500, and have good reference points to common Japanese bikes (esp. KLX-351) help me out here?
  9. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from a wr250r to the 350exc, so I'll give you a short opinion on that. The wrr is a heavy underpowered bike, I do not miss it at all. The 350 has more than enough power for everything I have rode it on. I have had it over 13'000', tight mountain single track and woods single track enduro events. It really shines on the tight stuff, log crossings and rocky creak beds are so easy with it. I geared it at 13/48 using the stock chain and still hit speeds up to 75mph with no issues. I do not ride alot of pavement with it, only to connect trails and jeep roads. I added a Rekluse to mine and that makes it even easier for me to use the power it has. I have a range of fuel that is just over 100 miles on the stock tank. I waffled with the 350 vs 500 when i was shopping but feel like for the stuff I ride this was the best choice.

[​IMG]
  10. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    I got the '13 350 exc-f. To me, 350 is all I needed. Sorry can't compare it to any other bikes, but like everyone else that has the 350/500 I absolutely love it. As far as the 500 thread having more posts, I think most everyone that has a 350 is posting there. Hope this helps and hope you get a chance to ride one soon, only way to compare a bike imo. Trust me you will be hooked :thumb
  11. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the improvements/difference from the 2012 model year to the 2013? Looked it up, but can't find definitive info.
  12. Big Augie

Big Augie Transient

Oddometer:
    Silver rims, moved the fuel filter location, graphics, different brand bars.
    As Salty said it's a great bike, once set up for you you'll love it.
  13. ADVTuga

ADVTuga Paulo Lança

Oddometer:
    Loving this bike :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xvA1tfQrA3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    2011 vs. 2013 I was pondering the same question.
    I thought the 2012 had significant motor updates.
  15. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I ask a question concerning the 350 EXC. I am going to buy a new KTM after I sold my 450 EXC (2010) few weeks ago.
    I surfed through the internet and found several tests. It is puzzling me that the German Motorrad Magazine writes: "The 350 is easier to ride, especially for the less experienced rider. Where the 450 gets in trouble as the backwheel spins the 350 with it slower torque gets through with ease! It is just the better bike when speed is not important"

I see.

The Austrian Enduro magazine also compared both bikes and states: "For the less experienced rider we would reommend the 450 as it has more low down grunt and therefore chugging power. It pulls you up the hill in idle while the 350 needs higher revs and a lot of clutch action. The 350 stalls often where the 450 just chuggles and needs no clutch action.

So one recommends the 350 for the less experienced rider and one the 450. I had a 450 and it was great but it steered lazy and always took the wide line. I am not an experienced offroder and I drive mainly the tough trails where you need first and second gear. So no desert blasting or 6th gear farm lane heat. Steep, slippery hills up and down and hard trails like in the vid from ADVTuga.

The 500 may be the killer in faster terrain, in the real hard stuff its far to strong and torquey, that is exactly the reason why no one uses one in the hard races like Erzberg, Hellsgate or Romaniacs.... So the 500 is not what I like to have.

Which one should I buy?

And no I cant testride one, even here in Austria a testbike is very hard to get as its almost winter. Testrides are again planned for spring (said the dealer) but I will not wait that long...

Thx
    Steve
  16. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2011 there was no 350 EXC-F. It was introduced in 2012 with the brand new designed engine. Compared to its big 450 brother it has two camshafts and all valves are titanium, the engine case is new and has only two oil pumps and no seperated oil circuits.
    The 2013 has, as far as I know only the technical updates which have been installed on the 2012 models after some problems. Rubber throttle potentiometer cover, easier to replace and better fuel filter and stuff like that. And the "Six Days" bike has a new fork.

Edit: the 2013 has a new designed balance shaft and a new starter and starter gear.

cheers
    steve
  17. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is cross roads I'm at. I like my WR250R but am looking for more techical capability. I don't really think I need a 500! The 350 seems a good compromise. The majority of my riding is on tight single track in N UT and areas like Moab/ San Raphel Swell. The WR can do it but I know it can be easier with a differnt bike. I've even looked at a '07 250xcf-w I could plate.
  18. calltrex

calltrex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    had my 350 EXC-F for 1 season now

awesome bike. no problems at all

i could have got the 500 no problem but i didn't because i wanted to stay light as possible. i like trails and woods and street
  19. mmm0042

mmm0042 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, love the bike. I've had it for about 2 weeks and already put 500 miles on it, most recently almost 300 in Moab for Thanksgiving weekend. That said, I had a starting (id10t error) issue I wanted to ask about.

I shut it down after a run but did not turn the key off. In a few hours, the light completely drained the battery. I figured, no big deal, I'll kick it over, do a run, and let the bike recharge the battery.

First, this thing is HARD to kick over. Never once did we get it anywhere near started. So, we decided a bump start was in order. We ran it down a hill, put it in second and popped the clutch. After hearing the engine turn over more than a dozen times, sputtering the hole way, it died.

At this point, I am thinking (WTF), is this a FI issue? Does it require having some battery power to start? I can't believe this is the case, since the non-EXC bikes don't have a battery, but it gets stranger...

We then tossed in the towel, pulled off the seat, and jump started it. The weird thing is, it started immediately, but as soon as we removed the cables it died. We actually had to leave the cables on for a minute or two, while the bike was running, before we could remove them and it would stay running on it's own (regardless of throttle position and RPMs). It's like we had to use the alternate power source to keep the bike running until the battery had recharged enough.

Obviously this is concerning for any endurance type ride, like the 170 mile desolate White Rim Trail we did while in Moab.

Anyone encounter this issue? Any ideas on what I was doing wrong (and yes, the key was on the entire time)?
  20. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Was the headlight on? I'm not sure it's switchable off/low/hi or just low/hi on this bike? If it was on you usually need to disconnect it (behind the mask) if you want to kick over a totally dead bike. Otherwise sounds like an FI issue, the previous works on a carb'd KTM.