Sherco 3.2 , 4 stroke or Montesa 4rt ?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by scruffy, Aug 21, 2010.

1. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a four stroke trials bike and I know about the montesa and its good points, but I'm a bit concerned about parts availabilty. I haven't seen much info on the sherco 3.2 4t. Anybody have any real life experience with these?
  2. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    From one test ride on the 3.2 and several on the 4RT, I say the Sherco is less refined, more abrupt, and lacks FI. Felt lighter, but only the scales can tell the truth. The Beta four-stroke is nice, but also not fuel-injected.
  3. LowPSI

LowPSI Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Shercoman

Shercoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005 Sherco 3.2T.I've had it for two years.
    I like the bike after having a 2002 Sherco 2.9 for many years.
    Ninety nine percent of the time it starts on the first or second kick but that 1% sometimes gets me.
    I am currently checking to see if i have a weak coil that gives me an occasional issue when it's hot.The coil is mounted right next to the head and I think the heat makes it weak.
    With that said,I love the bike otherwise.
    I have no experience with the Montesa but it's hard to go wrong with a Honda engine and fuel injection.
    What else would you like to know?
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for the Sherco, but my '05 4RT has hundreds of hours on it with zero problems. Besides basic maintenance items, the only money I spend on mine is for "bling". :thumb
  6. cota95

cota95 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got an 06 and it runs like a champ! Parts???, we don't need no stinkin' parts
  7. jbrownmxr

jbrownmxr Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My 4RT has been bulletproof. One of the best motos I've ever owned.
  8. PTRadam

PTRadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Sherco is a powerhouse. More of an "old schiio" thumper feel. I also think it feels lighter than the Cota. The Cota is definately a nice bike though. Well refined and reliable. I think the Sherco is reliable also.
  9. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    I crave the 300cc version of this one:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIGrSnaFgPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIGrSnaFgPM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  10. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking hard at 2008 Beta Rev 4, 250, I guess I could always put the 300 kit on it if I want more power. The new Evos look nice, but they're out of my price range.
  11. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya.

9k for a 300 evo MFG sug.

I'm sure it would be well over 8 with a deal.

A rev 3 is awesome anyway--Adrian says the 250 is smoother, better in a trial, but I ride alot of trials so I'd like to find a 300 racing.

Putting my txt 300 motor back in after a gear issue right now.
  12. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    The Evos are really holding there value well. Most 300's a have found are going to around 7k-7.5k. Considering they are mostly only a year old, that's not bad....
  13. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    If you can get the latest issue of Trials Magazine #22 (lewisport), they did a review comparing the Beta, Sherco and the Montesa.

They did a nice job.
  14. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    Doing some research, I now see the betas have their issues also, espeically the stator and it's enclosure. The stators can fail--lot's of stories at TC, without warning, and are very expensive. Seems to be poor quality wire on the coils or something, some guys have them rewound. The enclosure lets in moisture, etc. and some actually remove the cover after washing to prevent corrosion.

Some other stories about gearbox issues and main bearings---.

For me a stator failure would be ugly, riding in the backcountry.
  15. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the backcountry mountain trail riding you do, I think the Montesa 4rti would be extremely hard to beat. They're extremely reliable, get great fuel economy, FI keeps it running optimally at different altitudes and the Showa suspension is top notch for trail riding. Their biggest liability is they're a bit heavier than the new 2-strokes. But, the weight is only noticeable when you're hopping or doing nose wheelies to keep it between the ribbons in a section. When trail riding, I'm not doing those maneuvers anyway.
  16. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Here is a Rev 4T racing 300 used.....

http://www.usbeta.com/sys-tmpl/usedbikes/

:evil
  17. scruffy

scruffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well, I guess I'll be finding out by first hand experience since I have a 2008 Beta 4t 250 on its way. I read all the info I could find including TC forums and I'll try to deal with the stator issues. The bike is coming with a 6 month warranty. I'll probably keep using my ktm 320 for trails.
  18. uhoh7

uhoh7 wingnut killer

Oddometer:
    I think you are right. I saw those sweet betas for sale, but the montys are more reliable in general.

My GG is running sweet at the moment---I really lucked out on my last tooth chip, it lodged on the shaft and kept me stuck in 5th/6th, but did not get loose to do further damage.

I'm learning (after four years) to shift it more gently--the gears are tiny. I think I killed it on a 5th to 4th downshift w/0 clutch.

Hoping to get way out tomorrow---shake down 40 miler last nite went well, except a loose fan wire had her spitting for a minute, but simple fix.

What a relief to have the GG back for the ST, so much more fun than my trail modded SX250---which is good, but even at 210lbs, FAT, SLuggy. Nice seat though.