Good Complement to a KLR?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by dom1104, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont mean tell it it looks pretty.

Because that wouldn't be a compliment it would be a lie. :rofl

Anyhow, I live in Indianapolis. The land of flat. And straight. And anything interesting at least 2 hours away.

I live on my bike, do not ride a car.

The KLR 650 does everything I NEED a bike to do, get me to work and back, trips, errands, etc. I can do 500 mile days on it no problem, and it does everything decent. Nothing great. It will be my winter bike as well. Lots of luggage, crash bars, etc.

I also have a ZRX 1200R which also does trips, and commuting well, but is sort of luggage limited which makes life hard as a commuter, thus the KLR.

I am thinking of selling the ZRX, and getting something.... different.

My thoughts are, have the KLR as the "Touring" and every day bike, and get something light and fast and short ranged like a supermoto, or go the other route, and relegate the KLR to commuting and dual sporting and buying a real highway sled.

Like a FJR or a Concours or something.

So my question is.. if you had a KLR as your every day bike.... what would you want for the weekends?

Again, if you lived in the land of flat roads. No twisty roads to speak of.
  2. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Complement is the word of the day.
  3. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. See I learned something.
  4. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you have your everyday bike, what about something "vintage" for your weekend bike? BMW airhead, CB750, Suzuki GS, ect, or maybe a vintage enduro bike.
  5. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doh.....

:y0!
  6. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something fast and exotic, like an older Ducati.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woodsy smoker. Ring a ding. (Quietly)
  8. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Harley Superglide.

Just hear me out.

"But Kraven, what the hell is a Superglide? I don't speak Harley. And srs, brah, you think I should buy a Harley? Aren't you, like, all Japanese all the time, Brohammed?"

Imagine a motorcycle. It has two wheels, forks, a frame, an engine, a seat, and handlebars, right? That's what the Superglide is. It's a damn motorcycle without any cvo shit or kooky farings or fancy shmancy stuff. It's just a motorcycle.

It has a sizeable tank, a fairly efficient engine and mileage, and it's pretty low maintenance. The wheelbase is long enough to take miles in, but the chassis still feels pretty tight for city riding in Indy or wherever and you have room for a passenger, bags, trunk, windshield, whatever. Don't like the suspension? Change it on the cheap. Wheels? Change. Just insert the noun you don't like in eBay and bladow!

You can easily change bars, pegs, seat, and whatever else with eBay stuff since people buy shit for Harleys and change it like a dressing room montage in a DJ Qualls movie.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eUHXfqRHVAM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
    You're welcome.

And the Superglide is somewhat cheap on the used market. So, you won't get raped if you buy a used one.

The bonus is that it's basically the same order of operations as the KLR to ride. Short shift it and don't try to do 120 all the time. Lean back. You like your KLR. You might like a 2nd bike like that too.

But why?
    The Superglide is a great starting platform for you to customize it to what you need. It's also a great bike to fart around with on the weekends or on short jaunts when you don't want to get dirty. The stock pipes sound good and aren't asshole loud. And it's easy to get on and mellow out since the vibes from the big twin disappear at highway speeds.

Just a suggestion to consider. Then you go hardcore with the KLR and put some fancy rally parts on it, do the Darien gap and the TA trail and stuff.

[​IMG]
  9. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    Ducati 900SS :deal

:lol3
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good lord....
    [​IMG]
  11. kraven

Oddometer:
    :clap
  12. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR is my daily ride and adventure bike concours is my road traveling bike. Did not pay too much for either one and they are easy to maintain. :clap
  13. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about the Yamaha FZ-09?

At that price, you could do a little suspension upgrade (or not) and have a killer hooligan bike.
  14. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:

:nod For weekend trips down to Brown County.
  15. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Kraven makes a hugely convincing argument for a Harley, and it takes a lot for me to even type those words.

It would take a lot to not feel like a d-bag on a cruiser.

I am looking hard at the FJR / Concours type bikes, but they really are 2-up bikes arent they?

Is there a bike in existance that has a huge barn door fairing that is built for 1 guy and a backpack?

Something like a Triumph Sprint maybe?

Hayabusa?

I am looking for something just a click less huge than a FJR / Concourse but just as able to jump on and be 3 states away by lunch.

As I dodged a deer this morning on the way to work, I really appreciate the KLRs charms as a commuter, but I just dont think its the ideal high speed long ranged bike.

I supposed I should go find out what the Iron Butt guys ride, that would be a clue I suppose.

Baloo, is your connie the original or Gen II type?
  16. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, I think I found it.

Going to go test ride one tonight.

[​IMG]

It looks perfect. Right size, right wind protection, I think this could be the direction I am headed.
  17. kraven

Oddometer:
    I feel dirty somehow just suggesting it.

But it is an earnest suggestion, nonetheless. TBH, all the mechanical reasons to not buy HD are pretty much dried up in the last 10 or 15 years since the twincam engine hit the scene. They don't leak oil, the injection works well, and the finish is probably the best on the market.

Just remember that you don't have to wonder. You can always just saddle up and ride down to the dealer, axe for a test ride, and they'll be happy to toss you the keys to one. So, it's not hardly a pig in a poke suggestion. You can definitively know whether or not you like it way before you decide.

Jesus, now I'm talking myself into one... what the hell?:lol3:huh
  18. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    What's your budget? Prefer new or used ?
  19. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all in my sig line
  20. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything fast.