2013 V-Strom ABS Adventure

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by irishal, Jan 2, 2014.

1. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have a Concours 14 and am looking at a 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure that I can get at a great price. I want a more adventure oriented ride to take "mildly" off road. From everything I've read this bike gets great reviews. That being said I keep looking at the BMW GS Adventures too....but there is a big $$$ difference. Are these bikes that much different from each other?

Cheers.
    Alan
  2. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 800GS Adventure is better for off road riding . . . Spokes, ground clearance, suspension etc.
    You may want to check out the Tiger 800XC too.

The DL650 is fine for Forrest Service roads . . . and will keep up with the GS on the pavement. It has one of the best reputations in the industry for smooth, trouble-free operation.

You could buy a DL650 & DR650 for the price of the 800GS Adventure.

3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    after a few decades of bmw ownership, various GS's and such, I absolutely love my 2012 weestrom adv!! It's no dirt bike, but forest service roads are no problem, and is great on twisty paved roads. it's not even too bad on the slab, though anything over 80 will have gas mileage plummeting. I have no regrets from buying mine and can't wait to take some more trips with it this year!
  4. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are comparing a DL650 with a new wethead GS they are a world apart and it is really an apples and orange type of comparison, not fair to either bike.

Comparing the DL650 to the GS800 then things are a bit closer and if both bikes are equipped with the same tires/skid pan, there would not be a lot of difference between the 2 bikes. The 800 would have a bit more hp & torque but if you reference that to 1/4 mile times they are within 1/2 sec of each other. In real world driving not a real big difference and you'd want to ride both to see which one suited your riding style.

I have a 2013 DL650 Adv and really like the bike. I've also owned a BMW R1100R ( not a gs ) and it has a lot more torque than the DL650, so you drive it differently.

It usually comes down to buying the bike that fits your requirements or wants and price doesn't always matter, because you'll second guess your self until the cows come home if you buy purely based on price.
  5. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thoughts and advice guys. Will let you know what I decide to do in the next day or 2.
  6. Dograt

Dograt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wihile your looking, don't forget to check out the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

7. EtowahKLR

EtowahKLR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alan,

Don't rule out the standard DL650 w/ABS. The Adventure is nice, but there are a lot of options for outfitting and farkling a basic Vstrom. I bought a 2012 DL650 and have had a great time setting up my bike. I bought the Suzuki panniers off eBay and bought the SW Motech mounting system from Twisted Throttle. Adventure Tech has some nice kit for lowering the footpegs and bracing the forks. Touratech makes some great items including the skid plate.

I've upgraded the suspension with Cogent Dynamics DDCs, fork springs, and World Edge rear shock. I installed ROX vibration dampening risers, and replaced the original seat cover with one from Seat Concepts. Madstad windscreen adjuster, Suzuki center stand and hand guards, and I'm ready to go just about anywhere. I could have paid more and bought the 700/800 GS, but wouldn't have had the enjoyment of or the money.:D

Regards,
    Bruce
  8. V35A

V35A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also bought a standard DL650 ABS. In my opinion, the aftermarket accessories are often better deals than the Suzuki parts. So far I have installed Givi crash bars and skid plate, and will soon be putting on some Barkbuster hand guards. There are also lots of great options for side cases and windscreens.
  9. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I ended up going with the 650 Adventure. For the price I was able to get it at I was able to add some bits and pieces. Waiting on the matching top case, skid plate and center stand. The ride home took a 3 hr detour and was amazing. I was concerned about the power drop from the Connie, but after my ride home I'm hooked on the wee-strom.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  10. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

11. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

12. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the exact same colored bike but with the lower factory engine cowling and Suzuki top box. I've put a center stand on mine and a Corbin Seat.

Good looking bike in my mind.
  13. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks just like mine, Welcome to the club. :clap

I call mine the "magic carpet", cuz I feel like Aladdin smoothly coasting through life on this thing.

Enjoy!
  14. ArmSC

ArmSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike...in the fastest color of course. :deal
  15. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to swith Michelin Pilot Road 3's on mine, cos the OEM rubber sorta sucks, but now I've gotta agree, she does everything with ease.
  16. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys mind posting the OTD price you paid?
  17. rockmurf

rockmurf IBA #31100

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat. I had an FJR and I am concerned about the lost of power, finish and comfort but I think I am going to pull the trigger.
  18. V35A

V35A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cheapest price that I found in the NC/SC/GA region was around $7500 out the door for a standard (non-ADV) 2013 DL650 ABS. This price included tax, tags, dealer prep, fees, etc. I did not engage in any hard-core bargaining, so I suspect that even better deals are out there.
  19. Gadget Man

Gadget Man Out in the Garage...

Oddometer:
    Alan.
    Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I know you will love it because also have a 2013 ADV model. It's identical to yours.
    You should add the fork brace, yes it works. Then add a little piece of rubber gasket in between the front crash bar joint, it will take away any vibration at higher revs.
    Where did you find the matching rear trunk?

Gadget Man
  20. irishal

irishal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to get mine OTD for $9200 with hand guards, skid plate, center stand, OEM top case and 5 year warranty all included. They're not moving much right now and were willing to deal.....they also wanted my Connie badly too.
    The top case is the matching one that is Suzuki branded.
    I rode the Connie over and the V-strom home.....the ride is one of "I will take you anywhere you want to go....on or off-road". The engine has that workhorse sound to it that I love. The other interesting thing is because its soooo light compared to the Connie there's not that "oh shit one wrong move and I'm dead" feeling, but a more relaxed in control ride.