Garmin GPSMap 478 Question or Two...

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Xeraux, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a Garmin GPSMap 478 to take the place of my StreetPilot 2820.

I've decided that I ride in the rain and whatnot so much that I really want (need?) the Nexrad radar overlay you can get with the GXM-30 antenna.

My questions are...

1) Do I need the "motorcycle power / audio" cable?
    [​IMG]

Or just the included "power / data" cable?
    [​IMG]

2) I've been using the OEM BMW Nav III mount. It's the Garmin "motorcycle mounting bracket" for the 2820.
    [​IMG]

...with a BMW kit that mounts to the screws that hold your handlebars down on top of your triple (similar to the Touratech bracket shown below). I think it's the same mount for the BMW Nav II/III/Zumo.

The 478 doesn't have a "motorcycle mounting bracket" like the StreetPilots and the Zumo, so I'll probably have to get the Touratech mount.

Would this:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]
    http://touratech-usa.com/shop/media2/01-065-0087-02.jpg?-session=touratech:0C68DDEF13f9014BDAlrp19E36E7

Be the right answer to get it securely mounted in the same place?

3) Data Cards

The 478 comes preloaded with City Navigator NT and Marine Detail maps. I've never used anything other than CN NT on my 2820 so I'm not worried about adding additional maps. However, are the waypoints and routes stored internally or on data cards? Do I need one?

If I do need a data card, are the data cards proprietary or can I use a Sandisk 2GB SD card (I know it's not an SD card, but I'm using this as an example) I picked up at Costco for US$35.00?
  2. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    I run my 478/GXM-30 with the included "power / data" cable. The 478 has a standard size audio-out jack. You can always make your own audio cable if you want to hear the voice guidance in the future.

Waypoints/routes/et al are stored internally.

TVNAV has refurbished 478s available for $690.00 US. I've made several purchases from them including my 478.
  3. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    That's who I'm getting it from. They're out of stock on the refurbs at the moment.

I just asked about the "power / audio" cable because it has a 3.5mm jack that can be placed in a more convenient location than the little 3.5mm jack on the back of the unit. I may skip this one.

So you're saying that if I don't plan on loading any additional maps, I don't need a data card?

How do you have yours mounted?
  4. DangerMoney

Oddometer:
    My understanding is new maps can only be loaded via data cards. I know from personal experience waypoints/routes/tracks are stored internally and can be loaded/retrieved directly to/from the unit's internal memory using your PC via USB interface. IOW, if you're not loading new maps, you don't need a data card.

Here's my setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I'm not loading maps, so that clears up the data card question.

The pictures are helpful!

Is that the automotive or marine cradle/mount/bracket/thingy you've got attached to the RAM mount? I'm pretty sure that mount would work with my existing BMW set up. It has that same four bolt pattern that's on the 2820's "motorcycle mounting bracket" that attaches to the BMW mount.

You've never had any trouble with that coming unlocked or anything, have you?
  6. DangerMoney

Oddometer:
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!

Cyclegadgets is good people and practically local to me! :D
  8. SRFade

SRFade FeHorse Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    All good advice but you might want to consider the Touratech locking cradle. I had the standard RAM setup for my 478 but couldn't really get comfortable with the lack of "five finger" security. The vibration isolation and very positive "bump proof" hold placed on the GPS by the TT mount is comforting as well as the locking feature. It is a little oversized when on a RAM mount so I have moved it to a new crossbar, left side. You will love the 478 and the TT mount should let you keep it from becoming a casualty.
  9. Bad-Tat

Bad-Tat 800 XC

Oddometer:
    The Tourtech mount is the way to go for ultimate shock protection and locking ability. I have that mount on two bikes for my 276. Rams are great for adjustability but there is nothing locking about them.
  10. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Taking this a different direction...

Who here has the XM Weather on their 478?

Anyone?
  11. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    ...... Raising hand slowly...... I do..... Why?
  12. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Do you like it / find it useful?

I'm giving up the NavTraffic service (marginally useful) on the 2820 to replace it with XM WX in order to get the hi-res nexrad radar and surface weather maps. I get caught in the rain so much that being able to see what's coming or when I'll get out from under it might provide some peace of mind.
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    I have the Fishermans package and it works great!
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I got the "Sailor" package because I didn't think I needed buoy data. :lol3

Oh, the "Sailor" package also gives you wind speed and direction.
  15. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Tough question to answer if economics is considered. I've got the Mariner package for now (+expensive) because it's the only way to get decent Canadian coverage. XM Canada does not have a weather package period. Once the riding season is over I'll probably downgrade the service to the basic level just to maintain it over the winter. The savings on the XM radio costs vrs. the same Can. coverage will pay for it. :1drink

On my latest cross countries trip it was very useful and did wonders for spousal comfort on the two up multi-bike portion of the trip. We were able to identify and then wait out a couple of really bad storm cells in the Colorado Rockies. Being able to watch the cells move over and then away from your route is very helpful. The frontal system maps are a useful planning tool if camping, but really don't give you any more information than TV weather that you can get in a motel room. One of the most overlooked features is the local forecast. If following a programmed route, the unit will give you the local conditions/forecast for the closest city, the next reporting weather station on your route or your next waypoint, and your destination. Weather warnings by county are a nice idea but I've haven't seen one yet so I can't comment on how useful they really are.

In the US, the mid level package gives you all the tools you should need on a bike. As it is I've got over half of the Mariner package features set to "off" because they're marine based. Now, if you've also got a boat.... If you're really persuasive, you can sometimes get a 3 month trial of the deluxe package for a reduced price if you use the "I can't decide which one is best for me and I don't have much money" routine. :wink: The base (Skywatcher IIRC) package might do as well, I can't remember all of the details from the XM site. HTH
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    This is exactly the information I was looking for. :D Thanks!

Some of the stuff from XM's site sounds good, but there are so many factors that go into making information like that useful and until you experience it, you don't know.
  17. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a 2.5mm not 3.5mm on the power cable.
  18. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    3.5mm on the audio jack.
  19. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a 2.5mm not 3.5mm on the power cable.
  20. Lurch II

Lurch II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add my two cents to the discussion. Have the 478 with XM and the Mariner package. Love it. I'll drop the Mariner weather package for the winter but we go to the Maritimes on vacation quite often and the Mariner is the only package with Canadian weather. The radar images are wonderful. We can dodge storms with the Nexrad radar up.

I have the TT mount centered on the GSA windshield. Works great. The whole package runs through a Starcom1 package. I do have the cable with power and audio - mames mounting and dismounting a bit easier.